Heavy/Scratch: Scrap... No, that's too short... Custom Voyager-class Transformers Animated Scrapper!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by tabtiurf, Apr 2, 2011.

1. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

Of all the Animated characters who didn't get toys, nobody got quite as shafted as Scrapper.

Except maybe Sari.

Dude's in more episodes than about half the guys who DID get toys. So with no official toy, I decided to make one. And this is it.

[​IMG]

Ugh. The purple I used is really colorful and vibrant IRL, but it just refuses to photograph! Here's his transformation video:
    Custom Animated Scrapper

He's made from torso pieces from TFA blitzwing, arms from dlx TFA optimus and legs from TFA wreck-gar. Here he is sorting out a problem with Dirt Boss.

[​IMG]

Altmode I will admit is not spectacular, but I did the best I could. It's not like there's a ton of animated characters with useful parts for making an excavator.

[​IMG]

I really liked how the animated constructicons were kibble-free, so the idea for how to do his shovel transformation was sort of the impetus for the whole build. It attached in between his shoulders, but folds all the way down to his crotch, then around and up behind him to form his chestplate, shoulder pads and head!

[​IMG]

This is the first time I've ever built a head out of styrene. I'm pretty pleased. The hat is off the same TFA dlx optimus as the arms, but everything else is cut from styrene.

[​IMG]

The best part about finishing this guy is that I can finally complete my Substitute Autobots team!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

It's a minor setback sure, but that looks damn sexy good sir

3. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    I never would of thought os using Primes arms. I might have to pick one up now and try this out. Also Wregar's legs look nice in bot mode but in vehicl mode look a little eh, maybe Shocky legs would work?

4. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great work, like how it's looking at the moment, once you have the tread legs sorted you'll be onto a winner, builds like this always look a little disappointing at this stage but turn out awesome. Don't be disheartened :) 

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    You've really made some progress from when I've seen this last. I liked it a lot then, and I like it more now. Keep up the good work, bud :thumb 

6. starshooter8

starshooter8 AutoCon

this is going to be awesome looking really good

7. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Will be keeping track of this. AMAZING potential. Once you're done, you'll have to do a Mixmaster, of course. ;) 

8. simonatmac

simonatmac The stop motion maker

Ebay:
    looks promising

9. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

Wow, the transformation works really well - I think it is looking pretty nice so far, although I agree with Optimus Prowl that maybe Shockwave legs might work better - at least they would get the treaded look in.

10. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Wow. That looks pretty damn good so far. I can't wait to see it all done.

11. Destructicon 1

Destructicon 1 Original Gestalt

Thats a really good start man. I always thought blitzwing would make a good scrapper. Maybe you could try his legs. Keep at it man!

12. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

You guys are literally too king! :D 

I actually auditioned legs off blitzwing, lugnut, wreck-gar, megatron, shockwave, and optimus.

Blitzwing's look like tank treads but are too beefy. They are my fallback option if I can't dress up WG's legs to look sufficiently tready, but they are somewhat the wrong shape.

Shockwave's legs look tready, but they're too straight and the joints are useless for what I needed to do. Plus I don't have a spare shockwave.

After I shave down WG's knee-pads, paint them grey, and add some tread detailing, I think they'll look reasonably treadish.

And yes, I do also have plans for a Mixmaster & a Dirtboss, but only very loose plans. He will definitely be harder. He's got a way more detailed character design and his transformation is much less obvious.

Thanks again for the encouragement! Now I almost feel bad about getting sidetracked by a totally different custom...

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Don't feel bad by getting sidetracked by the other custom . . . it needs finished too! I've been excited for quite a while to see that one finished :) 

14. Optimus_Prowl

News Credits:
    I still have some plans drawn up if I can ever get my hands on a cheap set of figures to use Sentinal prime as Mixmaster. I've already got a mixing drum that attach fine to his back and everything from that Universe 2.0 cement mixer (Can't remember name.) And he would fit in pretty good with your Scrapper here.

15. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

I'd be interested to see that! My initial thought is it might be a bit small to hang out with a voyager-scale scrapper though.

16. Optimus_Prowl

News Credits:
    Not if I give him blitzwing legs and bulkhead wrists. ;) 

17. Sideways77

Sideways77 some garbage is okay

News Credits:
    Looks great so far. But where does the shovel go in robot mode?

And if you do go through with Mixmaster and Dirt Boss, what are your base figures going to be?

18. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    wow that's looking fantastic. i see potential.

19. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

The shovel arm folds all the way down to his crotch, then up his back. The shovel itself unfolds to reveal his head, his chest plate, and his shoulder pads.

My Mix will probably end up being wreck-gar's torso (with padding), wreck-gar's arms with lego drums and maybe blitzwing's legs. Maybe some bulkhead parts in there.

DB I only have the loosest of plans involving activators and a ROTF scout forklift.

20. bkz

bkz Deceptifiend

Do you have any updated on this guy? Looks good so far.