Scout Windcharger (Reveal The Shield)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by llamatron, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't even find Breacher yet! I traded someone for one a while back.

2. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Nothing showing up in CT...and I check my local big box stores multiple times/week.

Distribution issues yet again.

Be glad that you got one at all!! :) 

3. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been keeping eyes out for friends looking for the figure. Distribution has been so odd..... In my neck of the woods in Howell, MI, there hasn't even been a wave of Reveal The Shield in ANY size.

- Gregg

4. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am thinking this guy is a "Great White Buffalo."

5. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, had no idea he was this rare, I'll have a look see around my neck of the woods and offer them up for you stateside guys at cost+p&p

I'll post in the Junkion if I find any.

6. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm beginning to worry that this guy just isn't going to make it to the shelves in my area. I'm worried about the Legends as well, damn movie push.

7. Quicky

Quicky TRANSFORM and ROLL OUT!!!

Ebay:
    The pegs down here are still largely empty of new stock...:( 

8. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I managed to snag one for myself and another for a fellow board member, but not seen him since. I think Ebay is going to be the only way to find him in the short term.

9. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    Well, I'm now a member of the "I have a RTS Windcharger Club".

I'm pretty impressed w/ the figure. I especially like how you can rotate the hands and replace them w/ cannons. The color and head sculpt are cool too.

I'm not sure that the leg transformation (pushing the back windshield in or out) was really necessary. Also, I wish they did better paint apps for the rear bumper or just left it alone.

Overall, its a solid addition to the Classics line-up.

10. -l-AYATOLLAH-l-

-l-AYATOLLAH-l- Well-Known Member

Got mine yesterday. Can't believe I paid $20+shipping for a scout but I just don't foresee him popping up in mass anytime soon Stateside. He is a very nice little figure. The red plastic is very nice and the transformation is fun. Now on to tracking down Demolition Rumble...

11. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    I can't see myself paying over $20 for a scout, even with the eventual release of scout Frumble, I must wait for these new figs.

Or, go for it on BBTS, but I'd have to buy a few things to justify shipping.

12. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I know BBTS is solded out of Wingcharger so hopefully I'll find him soon before the third movie toys come out if not, than either Amazon or some other online store will have to do.

13. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Robot Mode: Let us begin with the similarity to the original G1 Windcharger. The basic design of the figure is almost the same, meaning that the largest part of the robot is sculpted into the underside of the vehicle mode, while the legs flip out from the rear of the car. The only design-difference to the original is that the hood of the car flips down to form Windcharger’s chest, making him a more-or-less basic car-former. He retains Windcharger’s characteristic black shins and his head is a dead ringer for the cartoon character’s noggin’.

The figure’s posability has, naturally, vastly improved when compared to the original. Windcharger has the full range of movement one expects from a present-day scout-class figure, so no complaints on that front. In terms of detailing he is good, though somewhat short of spectacular. I do like his feet, which are both highly detailed and fully posable. Not sure about his all-red hands, but the sculpt is nice here, too.

Speaking of hands, Windcharger can flip his hands around to exchange them for gun barrels. Now you can imagine those as either generic blasters or his magnetic powers from the G1 cartoon and comic, whatever strikes your fancy. One of the nicest implementations of the old “hand retracts and gadget comes out” gimmick from the G1 cartoon I’ve seen so far. The guns have a place for clip-on weapons on the side, which is also present and workable when the hands are in place of the guns. Nicely done.

All in all this is as nice a Windcharger robot mode as I could have wished for considering the size class. Not a knock-out, but good and solid.

Vehicle Mode: Windcharger transforms into a generic red muscle car, somewhat similar to a Ford Mustang and with the characteristic black louver-covered rear window that G1 Windcharger had in vehicle mode. The detailing on the car is decent for a scout-sized vehicle, so no complaints here. Not much more I can write here. No visible robot bits, realistic look, decent detailing. So overall, no complaints.

Remarks: Windcharger was among the original crew of the Ark who crashed to Earth and awoke in 1984. He was the only Autobot not mentioned by name in the original pilot three-parter, never did take center stage in any episode the cartoon, and was killed without much fanfare in the 1986 Transformers movie (he wasn’t even granted a proper death scene, you only saw his corpse on the floor). Which is strange since his special power, magnetism, would seem to make him an especially effective warrior against the Decepticons, who are made of metal, after all. He did partake in a semi-memorable brawl alongside Brawn, though, facing off against Megatron and Soundwave.

The name Windcharger hasn’t really been used since the G1 days. There is an Alternators Windcharger (originally intended to be a homage to G1 Overdrive), but that’s it. So it’s kind of nice to see a new version of this old character again, especially as it brings us one step closer to completing the original crew of Ark in CHUG-style (Classics, Henkei, Universe, Generations). Windcharger is certainly not a must-have, but he’s a great little Scout figure and with some G1 homage bonus thrown in, he’s easily recommended.

Rating: B+

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    This is easily the best Scout we've had in ages. Everyone should own him. Seriously; he's as close to faultless as a Transformers toy can be.

15. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    Apparently he's going for $40 now on ebay.

I want him, but not nearly that much. Hopefully retailers will catch up.

16. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

[​IMG]

17. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I love this guy! :D 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Windcharger. Proving that once again the Scouts/Basics class are full of win.

:D :D :D :D 

18. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got him!

Love him!!

Want recolors of him!!!

Thank goodness for kind board members from the UK.:thumbs2: 

19. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just realised, Windcharger really must like the UK, the alternator version came out here before elsewhere too.

20. Brakescream

Brakescream F&@king Twist Ties!

News Credits:
    I vote Windcharger as official UK mascot.