2D Artwork: Scourge . . . TRANSFORM!

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Superquad7, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    When I first got back into Transformers in 2000, one of my first main interests within Transformers was illustration. I started drawing some of my old, favorite G1 bots, but when RiD hit I really got into the toys (and even the cartoon). After I got into RiD, I wanted to create a set of videos (this is before the technology to make DVDs was commonplace) where I'd end up making a boxed set of the whole series. The Rhino sets hadn't been out too long, and I really liked how they were done. I decided that I wanted a box, along with "animation cels" as well as artwork that I could multipurpose. This is one such illustration.

Here is the original inked line art:

[​IMG]

colored:

[​IMG]

This is another one of the first full pieces I've colored using Photoshop, and it was nearly the last illustration I created for my series of RiD illustrations for my boxed set project.

Black Convoy/Scourge has always been one of my favorite characters, and I really had a lot of fun with this one!

Here are links to my other RiD illustration project threads, in case you're interested:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-fan-art/308416-car-brothers.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-fan-art/307166-i-am-megatron.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-fan-art/306590-transformers-robots-disguise-brothers.html

If you're interested, the original project thread can be viewed here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/210830-rid-set-w-extras.html#

Also, here is the gallery of the boxed set: RiD VHS boxed set - Scratch Built Customs - TFW2005.COM

Thanks for lookin' :) 

Attached Files:

2. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

Awesome!!!

3. Superquad7

News Credits:

4. SpeedFreak01

SpeedFreak01 Well-Known Member

That is really cool- Scourge looks very menacing!

5. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Really nice!

I love me some RID Scourge. :) 

6. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

Scourge is lookin' good SQ! His lines are perfect & the coloring is beautiful. I'm most impressed with your RiD box set though, which is an obvious labor of love. RiD is currently my favorite series so this was nice to see:)  Also,I'm a fan of VHS. I still watch VHS tapes all the time.

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks for all of the responses, guys; it's much appreciated!

Thanks! I'm glad you think so (cuz that was the intent)! :) 

Thanks! Me too! He was hands down my favorite character from the series! :) 

Your words are very flattering!

At the time, the VHS>DVD technology wasn't the cheapest thing to do. I would still need to purchase or have easier access to the conversion technology, and I would like a DVD set (still have yet to purchase one).

Mainly with my VHS set, I had nearly 15 tapes as I recorded EVERY episode including the reruns. One of the main goals was to simply cut down on space. Also, I wanted a copy without commercials, so off I went!

It was very much a labor of love, and I still hold this series very dear, as it was VERY fun and the toys are awesome. I remember watching the final episode for the first time hoping that it would continue. I'm glad you like the set :) 

8. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

The colors you did look really good, maybe a little too shiny in some places, but his energon sword, and the reflecting light look great. Something about the lines on his head look a little off though, maybe it's because it's perfectly straight on. I'm not sure. Maybe a little more line variation too. A lot of the lines are pretty think, maybe try making some of the smaller details a little finer lines. Once again, I love the colors, just throwing in a little constructive criticism too. :D 

9. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

Well, maybe I'm a bit partial. I'm working on a Scourge of my own you know, 6 feet tall:thumbs2: 

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    It's much appreciated :thumb  I totally agree with you. For the face, it's the faceplate in particular. When I was viewing this file for resizing in PS, it was something I noticed. As for the line weights, I think part of it was the size of illustration I was working on, as the scanning size I work on is 8 X 10 and part of it was just me overthinking the main planes/details and I could have probably used some other pens while inking. However, I don't like a whole lot of variation of line weight (as in making it very stark) with my work - it's simply not my style. I could sit here and really give myself and my work a beating (and I do!), but that's anything I produce - nothing's perfect :lol 

I really appreciate your interaction with my work. It's pretty inspiring for me to create something better :) 

Perhaps :)  Make sure you post that thing in customs when you finish!

11. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

Glad I could help. I like the drawing. :) 

12. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    awesome pic of one of my fav transformers

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Again, thanks a lot :thumb 

Thank you, sir :)  I'm really glad you like my work, bud. It means a lot coming from an artist I admire :thumb  (same goes for you, too, CP)