Scourge is not Nemesis Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MrSneis, Jun 30, 2011.

1. MrSneis

MrSneis Build Giant Robot!

News Credits:
    So today I ordered a Korean Black Convoy after seeing all the damn sig pics on the forums day in and day out.

I still don't understand though, what is meant by all the "Scourge is not Nemesis Prime" stuff floating around? What does it mean!!!???

2. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    This was the first character to make the black, with teal and red/pink highlights, repaint of Optimus Prime toys popular. Soon after, they continued the redeco stylings, releasing black primes etc, but applied the name "Nemesis Prime" to it, instead of using Scourge.

However, some, including me, believe it should be Scourge. And in particular, if they re-release the Reveal The Shield G2 Prime toy that was recently put out, they should paint him like Black Convoy/Scourge, and NAME HIM SCOURGE. Since Scourge was originally a G2 Laser Prime repaint to begin with.

The sigs and avatars are just an over the top way to get the point across, and have some fun. :) 

3. MrSneis

News Credits:
    I need to watch RiD I suppose, but when I think scourge, I think:

[​IMG]

4. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Scourge was the first black repaint of an Optimus Prime toy. His portrayal in the RID cartoon made him popular among the fanbase since he was an evil clone.

Since then, most Optimus Prime toys have gotten black repaints. In Classics and Armada, these black Prime repaints were named Nemesis Prime. The Armada version was the first Nemesis Prime and also an evil clone.

Some people probably see the black repaint as a gimmick and don't want their beloved Scourge cheapened and confused with it.

I am a fan of Scourge myself but had the name been around during RID, he may well have been called Nemesis Prime. A shame really, as I prefer the name myself and think it fitting for an evil clone of a Prime.

5. Tony_Bacala

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    It's a valid point. That is the "original scourge". I grew up with G1 too.

My argument is that if Classics sub-line figures are meant to be a modern tribute to old characters, then why not tribute the most popular character from that series properly, since there is a make-sense opportunity to do so.

Kids, won't know or care about the name, they buy toys on visuals. And for those that do stick with Transformers, they can show up here in 20 years and we can explain it to them too :) .

6. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    No need to watch RiD, because THAT is Scourge. :) 

They should name a repaint of RtS Optimus into "Nemesis Optimus", since he isn't even a 'Prime'.

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Wow.
    Transformers is pretty convoluted.

I'd just call it RID Scourge and be done with it.

8. MrSneis

News Credits:
    LOL. So I take it your sig would be something like Nemesis Optimus > Scourge

9. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

Okay.. I think my pea brain may have figured something out.. Scourge (Black Convoy) Who I like to call Scourge as well couldn't be called Nemesis Prime as "Nemesis Prime" Would have had to have been the same mold as RiD Optimus.. which he is not. All toys labled "Nemesis Prime" are redecos of the Optimus of whatever particular line they are in.. where as RiD Scourge is not. He's his own fella in that series.. got a little Kelly in him too or if I must say, Junko in his trunko.

10. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I don't know what I meant when I put that sig in, I was about three shots of Sailor Jerry in...which was like 20 minutes ago...I'm hungry.

11. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Beast

If hasbro releases a black repaint of RTS Prime, they will surely name it Nemesis Prime, they need to hold on to the trademark somehow. They will not have two recently released figures with the same name, its just not going to happen.

12. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

If this is true we will call him SCOURGE anyways. DEAL WITH IT HASBRO!(wrong charecter reference FTW:drunk )

13. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That's who I think of too, so to me RID Scourge is always "Black Convoy".

14. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I'd settle for Destructicon Scourge.

15. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Beast

Agreed.

16. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

I always prefer to refer to RiD Scourge as his Car Robots name. Black Convoy/Black Battle Convoy. Seems to cause less confusion.

Scourge is a great name and all, don't get me wrong. But we got a few early 2ks black Prime repaints as him. We got the G1 and Generations/RTS/CHUGS/whatever Scourge (and a Titanium version). Cybertron had another Scourge. And I may be missing one or two others from one Universe or another.

Either way, lots of Scourges. All different characters. So I prefer to try to give them other, fitting names when appropriate. Such as the Japanese versions of the names for many (RiD into BBC, Cyb into Flame Convoy) so all those great toys can hang together and not kill each other over their name.

Cause one thing that's common amongst the Scourges: Their toys are always rather good.

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Scourge is Nemesis Thundercracker

18. Tony_Bacala

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    lol

19. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

Incorrect, Nucleon Quest God Ginrai would be the first black Prime toy, technically, since Ginrai was Prime in the US. Scourge was the first portrayed in a show, mind you. But he was named "Dark Convoy" which translates to Evil Prime.

20. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

My solution - if your toy is Japanese or Korean, it's Black Convoy, technically.

If it's American, it's (RiD) Scourge.

If it looks like a wizard and transforms in to a flying shoe, it's Scourge the Space Plimsole.