Scooter Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blaster_Prime, May 9, 2008.

1. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

Ok, so I just went into an interview for a job that is literally 10 minutes down the road, only about 4.22 miles according to mapquest. Now, I want to be a good little Druid follower and overall good person and try not to use my car for that. So...I've started looking at scooters, which would work out well seeing as I also have a walmart, various restaurants, comic shop, video store and my mother's house well within the distance a scooter would carry me as well as the back roads to drive on. I have a few questions and didn't know if anyone can help me.

1. I need my math checked...my car gets 30 MPG on a roughly 14-15 gallon tank. Usually it costs $40-45 to fill the tank. I managed to figure it would get 50 round trips 100 alltogether on one tank of gas. The scooter I'm looking at gets 100 MPG on a 1.5 gallon tank. I figured it would take around $6 to fill it up on bare bones and would have around 17 round trips or 35 trips total. Now...I then figured I would check how much it would cost to match the 50/100 trips my car would get for milage so I divided 35 by 100 and got something like 2.7 or 3 rounding up of fill ups opposed to the cars one for 100 trips...mulltiply that by one full cost of a tank and I got $18-20 for 100 trips on the moped as opposed to the $40 for the car. Does that sound like I did the math right? If I did, the scooter is the clear winner here.

2. I am also considering a bike, but in waying the pros and cons it seems to balance itself out. Where the bike would save me money on additional insurence costs and gas, I would not be able to use the damn thing in winter and the only reasonable place it would take me is work, and even then 4.22 miles is alot for a bike ride to work. Any thoughts on this? Although the bike would be cheaper and give me exercise, I don't see myself using it to go anywhere but work, the video store, and maybe the comic shop. Would a scooter last longer than a bike? Would a scooter be more durable for that kind of repetative ride?

Of course this is all a mute point if I don't get the job, but I would like to be prepared just in case. Any thoughts are appretiated ^^

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    How cold are your winters?

3. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Would you need to wear nice clothes to work? If so, I'd recommend storing a couple shirts, ties, and pants on site to make sure you look presentable just in case of a little sploosh on a rainy day.

Edit: And props for the 'rebound bro' user title. HIMYM FTW.

4. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    You could also get a moped! My buddy runs a moped shop in Austin. The only thing is that they are vintage and don't have the compartment space of a scooter.

5. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    If you can't use a bicycle in winter, you probably shouldn't be using the scoot then either. More power + heavier = bad tidings on snow or ice. (When I was a kid I would bike to school until it hit like 20 below, so it is possible to bike in the winter if you're willing.)

Other than that, a scooter is always going to give you awesome gas mileage, especially in the lower size classes like 50 to 200cc, which sounds like what you're looking at. If you can swing it, maybe see if you can get something more towards the top of that range, as that'll give you a higher top speed and hauling capacity, which will expand your travel options a good deal. A 50cc is hard-pressed to get up over 60 km/h, but it's fine on residential roads and for hauling a couple bags of groceries.

You might also want to consider your local licensing laws. Where I live, you have to have your motorcycle license even for a scooter, though not for a moped. If you don't have that yet, you'll have to test for it depending on what your laws require, and I'd recommend that you take a motorcycle learner's course before you do. Heck, take one anyway, it's fun and informative.

6. defstar

defstar Autobot...

If you can get away with riding a bike to work I would do that...it will save on the insurance/gas and there is far less maintenance (oil changes, tune-ups, tires)...more than likely whether a bike or scooter if it's raining outside or is really cold you're going to be taking your car (lets be real)...so you can throw that out of the equation...so you'll probably be on your bike 70% of the time at best...getting the extra exercise is a huge plus for the bike as well along with it costing less to purchase...hope the job works out because you can consider yourself lucky for being able to ride a bike to work...

7. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Where I work, scooters are a popular two, sometimes three-season option for employees who live within a five or eight mile radius of the campus. Here in Massachusetts, you can get a scooter with an engine up to 50cc without having to register it, and therefore models with a 49cc engine are quite popular. I've been thinking of getting one and only using my Jeep in bad weather, but to be honest ... I think I'd look too gay on a scooter. Plus the constant fear of getting creamed by a huge SUV. And having to contend with helmet hair? No thanks.

8. DMK

DMK Flame-Haired Raptor

Scooter would be a winner on gas alone, but in all honesty - if it's just four miles, I'd think about a bicycle. Exercise fitness etc etc etc, plus NO harmful emissions whatsoever. ... ALTHOUGH there is that whole "showing up to work sweaty and smelly" thing that comes with a bicycle. Need to think about that.

And if it's snow/ice out, would you really be riding the scooter or a bike anyway? Kinda strikes me as too cold to be outside rather than in a car at that point.

9. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Bicycle and public transit if you can.

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Would get a go kart, with a roof to keep you dry.

Play some GTA4 for a bit to get pumped, then drive on the sidewalks to work

11. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I'd go for a battery-powered golfcart. You could park it in the handicapped bathroom stall.

But in all seriousness, a bicycle is probably the best way to go. With 4.22 miles (or 6.79km to the rest of the world ;)  ) it would only take ten or fifteen minutes. You'd be there before you even broke a sweat. No gas, no insurance, no liscence, and zero cost if you already own a bike. I'd say the bike is the best route. Even in winter if you have good mountainbike tires it would work. There are lots of people in Calgary who bike year-round. And with a 10-15 minute bicycle commute it wouldn't be all that bad in the winter so long as you were careful.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Good thing about bikes is you can carry them through those backyard shortcuts

13. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

Thanks for your input. I see what your saying about the bike, it would be better, but I keep going back to the fact that I could use the scooter/moped to go pretty much everywhere I need to go for cheaper than my car. I dunno...

Also, Omegatron1, HYPOTHETICAL FIVE..............................................................................NICE!!