Scion xB

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GogDog, Feb 21, 2007.

1. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I recently got the new car bug, and after a while of thinking and pondering, I got my heart set on a Scion xB. I was even going to get a custom plate like Skid's Alternator form for the front plate (Florida doesn't have front plates). I was going to save up some money over the rest of this year and get one towards the end of the year. But now, as it turns out, Toyota is rolling out a new body style at the end of this year, and its FUGLY! :( 

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-scion-xb/

I hope I can score one of the last ones before they sell out, or at the very least, get a good used one. Most comments online regarding the new style haven't been particularly positive. I liked the minimalistic style, and the new one just looks bleh, not unique at all.

2. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I don't like the new design as much either. Now it sorta looks like a Chevy HHR or whatever.

I do think that the xD is a big improvement over the xA though.

3. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

as much as i dont like the box, especially the new one, i still see this selling.

4. polymorphic

polymorphic Bumblebee tuna!

The xB is the most atrocious insult to auto design ever. It offends me.

Just my $.02.

5. GogDog

News Credits:
    You have pretty thin skin then, my friend. Try to stay indoors.

6. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I briefly looked at a 2006 Scion xb. It seemed subpar quality wise. It just felt cheap to me, from the interior to the overall design. Maybe the newer ones have bumped up the quality, but I probably won't look at another one.

7. GogDog

News Credits:
    I have never actually been in one yet, so my opinion could quickly change I suppose. I just like smaller cars, and even though the marketing seems to make it flashy, it actually looks pretty conservative to me, with lots of room on the inside. I have no intentions of funking it up.

8. SunDown

SunDown Fatty McFatFat

to each his/her own I guess. I have a few friends with them and they are "funked" up. They actually are lowered on some tuner wheels. One has an engine swap with a turd charger under the hood. The only way they look good to me is if they are funked up a bit.

this new design already has that chopped top look to it, slam it, some nice wheels and you'd have a nice ride there.....of course thats just my .02

9. GogDog

News Credits:
    That's fine. I have several friends who are into that. It's just not my thing, really.

10. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I'll never understand why people want to drive a box. I think of the Scion as the future of soccer mom's vans

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Heh.

I'm an automotive journalist, and I've seen and been in both the current and the upcoming xB, and I'm far more impressed with the redesign than the current model, though I know some people (for some strange reason) really like that box that they call a design.

It's really a give and take; it's got all kinds of neat spots, and it's not bad comfort wise, but there's a kind of cheapness to some of the components, and it tends not to get great fuel economy, especially for its size and weight. Also, this (the current version) isn't one to do any sort of offroading in (for a variety of reasons), which seems to say "Punk minivan" more than anything else.

I give Scion (And therefore Toyota) credit, they know how to market something to twentysomethings, and have done a great job with the Scion brand awareness and "alternative" forms of advertising, but at the end of the day, it's just another vehicle, with its advantages and drawbacks.

Personally, I've come to notice that there's nothing a test drive can really show you that you need to know; you're far better off going to a rental company and renting one for a week if you're really serious about it.

Your mileage may vary, and I hope whatever you do works for you.

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i likes i likes

reminds me of that one concept car of theirs [although not as cool xD]

anyways im the proud owner of a Scion tC and i have to say it rawks

I was debating either getting the tC or the xB but i broke down and bought the tC. No regrets. Although i'd get either for sure :p 

dont personally care for thelook of the xA myself but yeah

for me i dont know which id want, the old style or the new style. Might go with new just cuz its, well, new xD

part of the reason why i got the tC is because its rarer around here. Just feels cool to own a car not everybody has :D 

13. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I actually like the new body design more. The old one looks too boxy to me.

14. Blackstar

Blackstar Aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! TFW2005 Supporter

I bought a brand new 2006 Scion xB earlier this year and I've had nothing but good to say about it. I was driving a Dodge Durango at the time and was spending at least 65 dollars a week in gas. I got the Scion and that was brought down to about 20.

It gets great gas mileage, the sound system is nice, and I love the look. The only downside for me is that there is no cruise control, which is nice on long trips, and the space in the back for hauling stuff. Otherwise, it's a wonderful car.

15. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me, chalk the xB up with the PT Cruiser and the Aztec as the biggest eyesores out there. The new design linked above is slightly less jarring, though.

I really wanted a new Tundra this year, but they ug-ified the new design. It looks like every other truck out there now.

16. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

I liked the xB till I got in it and saw one thing. The Tach and stuff were not right behind the wheel. I hate how more recent cars are getting this shifted more and more towards the center of the dash of a few models. I could only stand it on Mini S because it was fun to drive, plus enuf noise to tell when to shift.

17. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I don't care for either design.

But good luck finding what you want.

18. polymorphic

polymorphic Bumblebee tuna!

I have an '05 Civic Si hatch and I still get giddy every day when I get behind the wheel, even after just over 2 years with her. I can't see myself driving a hunking, lumbering xB. I can't really see anyone driving an xB, but lots do... especially here in Dallas. Lots of tricked out boxes everywhere I go. I've also read that they are one of the most popular vehicles in Japan.

Someone likes them. Which means my opinion isn't incontrovertible. But it should be.

19. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am always amazed at how the auto industry can take something that is god damned ugly, and make it uglier...

Between this and the last few subaru impreza revamps I have almost lost faith. At least the new WRX model looks good. So the psion should be actually be decent looking after 10 or so years...

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    They're both pretty neat looking. The xB has had my eye since it got released.