Scientists Tips ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by AtomicGarden, Sep 16, 2012.

1. AtomicGarden

AtomicGarden Energon homebrewer

It was the first class I developped when the game came out, but now that all my class are leveled between 12-14, I play so badly when I switch to scientist, I get mad at myself. With the other 3 class I usually finish a game with 6-9 kills, but as a scientist I can barely get 3 and I die A LOT. Something must have changed in my playing that doesn't work well with this class, I don't know. Last few times I played scientist, I only played conquest, at least I can get points with the nodes.

The orbital pistol seems useless to me. The gear shredder do some good damage but I have a hard time hitting a target more than twice and as for the assault rifle, it's the weapon I use the most but it always seem to take a million bullets before killing an enemy. Ironicaly, I get killed by scientists a lot...

so any tips ? Thanks

2. Master Zarak

Master Zarak Emperor of Destruction

Ebay:
    Never stay still and attack from afar. That's pretty much what I do. I simply fly around the stage, taking cheap shots where I can, and if I see an excellent opportunity for a positive outcome, I may engage in head-on firefight. I don't necessarily rack up alot of kills, but I get a lot of assists.

3. The Constructicon

The Constructicon Yeah, I turn into a leg.

Get the Photon Burst Rifle, play a mid ranged hit-and-run tactic game. Don't stand up in melee range to anyone, never be afraid to run. Transform, flee and come back from another angle. Place your turret in high areas (not too high) and wait, when your foes look up to shoot your turret, take them down.

Jets are fast, remember where Energon cubes are, remember where Energon rechargers are, fly around and nab as many powerups as you can. Never hold still while flying, you become a sitting duck.

4. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

Until you get the Sentry and Power Core, don't be excessive in your offence, instead, use the Healing Beam and the perk which heals you too (I forget its name) and stay by your team, hiding behind them whenever the enemy opens fire - slightly wimpy, but you can keep them alive and gather experience points in doing so. Also, use the Orbital Pistol whenever using this tactic, as you can aid your team mates in getting kills and gather MORE experience via all the assists.

Once you have acquired the first two items mentioned, you can switch to playing a more offensive Scientist by flying past your intended target, deploy the Sentry in mid air and then use the Orbital Pistol to weaken your enemy whilst the Sentry finishes them off.

5. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that a Scientist with a Sentry Turret, Neutron Assault Rifle and the Photon Burst Rifle would make for an excellent defensive player during CTF games.

6. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't play the scientist class fighters as if they're grunts--they most certainly aren't those guys. An unless you're a gaming god with nimble fingers and a wicked sense of strategy, you're going to get your @$$ handed to you more often than not.

Use your sensory drone, the rusting option, will can give you a bit of speed advantage over your pray, but be sure to keep a clear head--you are not invincible.

I don't know about everyone else, but this class was one of the fastest for me to level up, granted I predominately played conquest, zipping from node to node, battling only when I had to.

7. SaibotMK

SaibotMK Member

I like fast paced TDM style fps like Quake & Unreal and I really like the multiplayer of FoC, I have some Scientist videos that might help you get an idea of the class. I have not played in a couple weeks, so haven't uploaded anything better far as just K/D ratio vids go. Hit & run, knowing the map, where the health & ammo spawns are is key. It's a very good class and my favorite. I always have a good K/D every game and top the charts frequently as a Scientist. in a TDM your K/D is everything, if you have 5 kills and 1 death, you did a lot more for your team then having 5 kills 10 deaths, so if your having trouble in a specific game play smart & stay alive.

1080p
    Lvl 25 Scientist (Starscream) 21 - 0 Conquest FoC - YouTube
    Lvl 25 Scientist (Starscream) Conquest 15-2 - YouTube
    lvl 25 Scientist (Starscream) FoC TDM - YouTube

8. The Constructicon

It's cool to see all of the different strategies for this class, people seem to play them very differently.

I can't stand the rust sentry, I love the standard with the resource recycler. I set it up as a sentry and wait for the hit-makers to show me when someone is approaching me from whatever way I'm not facing. I play mid-ranged and I do so aggressively. I attack and fight but if I get too close I zip off and heal, or find a new way to approach my enemy. The Scientist is the most agile character and if you can get that down you'll be deadly.

Lately I've gotten used to firing my jet's rockets as I'm boosting, it's great flying in and bombarding someone and then zipping off before they can even see you. It works for wearing them down before you land and go in for the kill too, you even get a few kills just with the fly by alone. I started doing that because you're basically going to die if you stop to fire jet missiles in the air, you have to keep moving if you expect to survive.

9. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Bob and weave, dodge and roll. Basically never stop moving when you engage someone in a firefight. The Photon Burst Rifle is a great weapon in this instance. If you have good hand eye coordination, you'll be able to get most of your kills without having to scope in. The Orbital Pistol is also great for softening up your enemies with a marking or two before laying into them.

Also, reload often. If you get a chance either by running or dodging behind something or someone, do it. It insures you're always weapon-ready once the bullets start flying again a few seconds later.

10. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream HE PULLS THE STRINGS AND HE MAKES THEM RING

News Credits:
    Always know when to run, and always know when you can so you do before it's too late. Try to ambush other players, and if they're in a group and you engage, you probably won't win, but if you manage a kill, run as soon as possible.

11. The Constructicon

Oh and when you run away, don't fly in a straight line... I have so much fun weaving through the level, swooping up and down just to make sure they can't lock on that missile or hit you before you can get to some energon.

12. dkr7

dkr7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    keep moving and aim for the head with the photon rifle. I love the scientist and often go 20+ Kills with no more than 2 or 3 deaths

13. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
  14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    As mentioned, there are lots of different ways to successfully play a Scientist; the key is in choosing which type suits you and how you like/want to play.

The Scientist by a galaxy wide margin is my favorite class to play. I play (in an irony I'll get to later) a support role for the most part. I'm what I call a medicist; in that I focus a lot on being a good medic for my team. Using the heal myself perk that also means I'm rather non-dependant on Energon as I can quickly fly to someone who is low on health and in healing them, pull full health for myself. When I'm playing with certain friends or with good players I'll follow closely behind a teammate or two, keeping them healthy in battle and helping them take down enemies that we encounter. The assisting devices on the field I can both put good use to, the Cooldown allowing me to heal my teammates longer and the Energon Recharger so I can take a few blows in the thick of things and not worry. Being the holder of the Ammo Beacon is also fun, as I can put it down in the thick of battle and then go right to healing, making a group I'm with nigh indestructible.

My Primary weapon is the Gear Shredder with the fast reload perk. I've found that I'm actually pretty good (One of my friends says I'm "Scary incredible" with it) at getting the bounce shots (I got the bounce and hit challenge completion XP on my first game with it when I was re-leveling up once I hit Prime last weekend) and it's a great support weapon. I can use it pre-emptive to a strike by firing several discs into the room before the Titan/Destroyers charge in, to finish off/further damage those who are in firefights with my Titan/Destroyer partners, or to hobble those who are hiding behind cover and firing at said Titan/Destroyers, etc. Plus against those pesky jumping and dodging Infiltrators I get a lot of kills by having the shot miss but the bounce cuts them in two. Against Destroyers in enclosed rooms I'm a nightmare as I can bounce the blade off the ceiling or a far wall to go around a Destroyers barrier causing them a lot of panic as they're hiding behind their shield from a Titan and getting shredded anyway from something else. The only time I ever charge it was in Conquest when I'd take a point by myself, I'd charge it so I could do a deadly close range barrage if a Scout or Scientist showed up in an attempt to stop me from taking the point.

As a secondary weapon I used to carry the Orbital Pistol, but now carry the Burst Rifle with the view health perk. That allows me to both be a spotter of sorts when I've got a team that'll listen and allows me to do both clean-up and again, pre-emptive softening. I can also get several domed and other awards by surprising enemies from afar. It's also neat when I've got a Titan or two spraying their Scrapmakers down the field I can wait and pick off enemies when they pop up from behind cover to either return fire or flee or contribute to the hail of fire taking down said Titan or whatever. It's also a good weapon if the situation goes south on you. More than once I've run out of ammo in the Gear Shredder, my teammate(s) falls or gets too far away and I've got enemies right in front of me wanting my spark. I dash back and switch to the rifle and unload without using the scope. I've downed more then a few overconfident foes that way (usually Destroyers).

Like everyone else, I use rockets when I can. Flying the map and seeing an opportune victim, to soften up a room that's got a contested Conquest point, or for that extra damage when I arrive on scene.

Also, I'm not afraid to bug out. If my Titan falls and there's 2 Titans coming for me at that moment, I'm not going to make a last stand. Transform and fly away, finding either the respawned partner or another group to assist. Occasionally I'll get into a game with strangers who aren't playing very smart and I will to a degree solo it out of necessity; in which case I use the same strategies, but focus more on an overall view and making the best out of a messy situation and instead focus a lot more on shredding and sniping.

The aforementioned irony is that playing this way, as a close support character who follows and helps his teammates, who focuses mostly on healing those on his team first and killing his foes second, is that I'm frequently MVP. Of the team and the game. I'll finish a Conquest with somewhere between 35-56 points and though I don't really care about it, one of my friends was impressed with my K/A/D ratios when he was watching me play. 10 kills and 4 deaths or something like that, with several assists.

Also, even alone, I'm very successful at a one on one matchup against any class. I only run into problems when I'm vastly outnumbered or when there's enough of a stream that I can't pick up ammo or health that I end up falling.

With a shield deploying smart Destroyer in my posse, it's not uncommon for us to almost run the board, I'll often get the 7-kill streak award with some good partners. I've also often found that my actions when recognized are often appreciated. From messages, comments in the lobby, friend requests, etc. The loudest IMHO is when my fellow players will go where ever I go and make an effort to protect me.

Now, the downside. Playing with "stupid" players makes this guy extremely vulnerable. I'm talking Titans who hide behind me when they're even a little bit hurt, Destroyers who throw up a shield only when their own health is directly in danger, and the like. Usually when I've got players like that who are so selfishly concerned after I die, I'll start to watch the action corner and wait to see their names appear. Usually I'll say something like, "Let's see how long you can last without me healing you." The answer usually isn't long. The best so far is I managed, "Let's" and the player was dead.

Since I tend to triage my healing in a group, healing the worst off first, I've had some unkind words and actions from those who want healing right away and that my ability needs to regenerate seems like a foreign excuse to them as they demand that I dole out health I simply do not have to give. I was once in a game with 5 Titans (Yes, 5 Titans and me) and one of the Titan players threw a fit when I didn't heal him after having healed the other players. I had healed the rest of the team and ran out of healing when he got to me; he was down maybe 75 health total and I was letting it regen and he threw a fit, both over the mic and by melee'ing my character.

Lastly, there are also those who once they figure out that I'm a medic, start calling for me like I'm only there for their convienance. It doesn't matter that I'm on the other side of the map, in a firefight with 3 of our teammates, I'm expected to transform and jet my way over to him to heal him ASAP; though in all fairness, that's only happened once.

All said and done, I hit Prime 100 over the weekend, so I can at least just play the game for fun, rather than trying to get points/levels. (Though being a medic is a nice way to get points, everytime you heal you get some!)

EDIT - I didn't realize I pretty much just threw up a wall of text. Sorry about that!

15. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like to mark targets, then switch to the nucleon... whatever it's called and finish them off in their weakened state. Gear Shredder's fun, especially in enclosed areas like the sewers. Oh, they're capturing C? Send a few gears from a safe distance and bounce them into those mofo's.

16. Wikkid

Wikkid Completely retired customizer

No doubt. When you're standing there waiting to make a capture, it's a blast to charge that thing and send a bunch of blades in that general direction. Even better when one makes contact. :lol 

17. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    Learn to use the dash button to your advantage. Once you do, you could place a turret, roll out of their shots, and spam the neutron assault rifle.

18. Master Zarak

Master Zarak Emperor of Destruction

Ebay:
    I feel stupid; I never knew you could charge it. Whenever I see several blades flying at me, I just figured they were fired in rapid succession.

19. Autobot_Hiphop

Autobot_Hiphop Well-Known Member

First off simple tips...

- ALWAYS use COVER all the time!
    - Never stay out in the open!
    - Try to shoot enemies from ELEVATED AREAS!
    - DON't ENGAGE enemies head-up unless you have clear advantage!!!!
    - Swoop in and HEAL your teammates!
    - Always pick up Energon Rechargers.
    - Know where the Energon Cubes are.

Basically play the scientist like he is Starscream. Classic opportunistic backstabber! :) 

I'm a big fan of the orbital pistol! I never engage someone up close with the scientist. I find nice quiet places to use the orbital pistol as a sort of sniper rifle (the orbital pistol doesn't give your position away as easily as the photon burst rifle due to it's shots going everywhere).

I can usually get single kills by shooting enemies with the orbital pistol by using the increase fire rate perk. After either killing or weakening an enemy I either decide to finish off the enemy or let my team mates do it.

Either way once you fire your orbital pistol your gonna have to move cuz youve been had!

Secondary weapon is Nucleon Rifle. Basically use this guy to get you out of trouble, finish off a weak enemy, or to assist in taking down a titan.

I prefer to heal team mates rather then use sentry.

20. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What does the "heal self" perk do as a medic? I noticed the heal symbol builds, but don't remember ever getting it full.