science question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eyeballkid, May 5, 2007.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Can anyone here point me to a good up to date science site that might have info on any gamma ray exposions in the milky way?

Why you ask? I took a vacation to Wipple observatory south of Tuscon and I hooked up with my step brother is a collaborator with Varitas. I got to see some cool stuff...to say the least!

Varitas is one of four gamma ray telescope collabarations on earth. 2nd best next to the one in south africa.

OH..I forgot, they found a new planet outside the solar system that is 8 times the mass of jupiter, and it circles its sun in 5 days! I dont think it is in the internet news yet.

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    gamma rays?

zomg its planet hulk!

3. JD

JD Well-Known Member

"ggrrrraaaaagggghhhhh!!! Puny Telescope Give Hulk Powers!!!!"

4. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Well, while I hate to link to wiki articles given their relative lack of objectivity, I'mma make an exception this time on the "it's physics and therefore relatively factual" grounds.

Gamma ray bursts are generally understood to be extragalactic. Since light has a top speed, no gamma ray burst would have appeared to have happened much later than the closest burster observed, which means there ain't been one 'round these parts for an enormous mutant star goat's age. I don't know if that's a consequence of galactic evolution, in that any galaxy similar in composition and age to ours can't support a gamma ray burster, or if it's just that the Milky Way is lucky and hasn't blown a burster in the years since we've been able to detect it.

(A burster 500 ly away would apparently be enough to sterilize the planet. So don't ask for one. I like it here.)

5. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I asked because Purdue is funding my step brother to provide a graduate thesis to be published on a gamma ray explosion in the milky way...and we dont know what it is...thats why he is on wipple observatory and collaborating with varitas. Gamma ray explosions only last for seconds...if that.

There are actually two different kinds of explosions...those that last less than two seconds, and those that last more. They originate from various sources...back holes, super novas, other cool stuff.

6. Phy

News Credits:
    So the general consumption articles might not have helped then. Well, I congratulate your brother for doing real science. He's got his work cut out for him, if Purdue wants him to observe a relatively local burster. If they just want him to talk about one that may have been observed, get him to check peer-reviewed journals, from Nature and Science down to ones focused firmly on the fields of astronomy and astrophysics. I assure you, a GRB confirmed to be in the Milky Way will end up in a relatively prestigious journal.

7. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

He does have his work cut out for him...till late 2008 i think...He tried to draw the way that he his collecting data...but it is over my head...I do have good pictures of some of the varitas telescope arrays though...their on my nikon d40...id like to share them...do i need an external site to post them?

I really dont get the whole posting pictures on a forum thing.

8. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

double post sorry

9. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Red x.....

The easiest way, I find, to post pics is to:

1. Take the pics
    2. Download them/Scan them into your computer
    3. Upload them to a photo site like photobucket.com (you need to start an acct.)
    4. copy and past the link labeled "image" or "img" there into here (photobucket has 3 types of links)
    5. Easy as pie! Okay, maybe not that easy because, let's face it, making pie can be hard work, but you get the idea, right?

10. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  11. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

[​IMG] DAMMIT!

12. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

ok Mac is fuking me over, Imageshack uploaded my image, but gave me about eight different file names. WTF? Which one can i use here?

Also, I cannot seem to copy or paste anything? The files are jpeg and RAW combined. Do I need to seperate them?

13. llamatron

News Credits:
    Alright, here's how to do it. So you goto imageshack, upload it and it shows you this:

[​IMG]

You want to copy everything it says in "Direct link to image" and then paste that in between image tags on the board. Like this:

Here's what it says in "Direct link to image:"

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2924/hugeballsmg0.jpg

And here's it in image tags:

[​IMG]

14. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

[​IMG]

Thanks! Thats me on my knees composing the picture while my step dad and brother are on the right. The picture in itself is confusing...lots of mirrors...one of four telescopes observing gamma rays at night on a big honkin mountain similar to kit peak! Good times!

I figger, with all the banter about photography i have said on this site, with nothing to show, I better come up with somethin cool...

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i'm perplexed how your mac screwed you over posting a pic. i thought macs were...user-friendlier ;P

16. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've said it before, but this just warrants a repeat.

We would provide links, but we urge you to do your own research.

17. llamatron

News Credits:
    About Gamma Ray Bursts:

I'm always entertained by the story that gamma ray bursts were accidentally discovered by satellites looking for nuclear tests during the 70's (I think it was around then).

Also, any more pics of the 'scopes?

18. Phy

News Credits:
    WIN.

19. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

Mine screws me over all the time. That's why I never post any pictures hereā€¦[/SARCASM]

20. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Is it wrong that I am scared eyeballkid was this close to my town. Or even worse may live in Tucson.

Great demonstration BTW llamatron. :lol