Science question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cobalt Agent, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

I admit that I should probably ask this on a science forum.

If an object (let's say something as big as anything from New Mexico to Earth) was orbiting the sun in the same distance as the Earth, but on the other side, would Earth's orbit/rotation/whatever be changed because of it? Would they balance eachother out?

[​IMG]

I bring this up because I just remembered some sci-fi Godzilla-esque movie about invaders from space or something. They were on an Earth on the other side of the Sun or something. I think it was a Gamera movie...

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Would it affect us?

Yes, but only because it has mass. Anything with mass has gravity and that creates a force between two objects.

Would it affect us in a way we would feel it?

No, nor would it cancel us out. We would be more affected by the sun since its mass is so much greater.

3. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yes, if it were in the Lagrangian Point L3. See Wikipeida for more

Basically there are 5 points where the forces between the two planetary bodies are equal. Opposite the Sun is #3.

4. Cobalt Agent

I get that there's a gravitational pull between any two objects with mass. For some reason I was just wondering if for some odd reason a planetoid appeared on the other side of the Sun, if would it make a noticable difference or not. Thanks!

5. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think that works for a mass the same as Earth.

6. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    He's asking about something as big as New Mexico is to Earth. At least that's what I interpreted. Though of the equations that I looked for with a quick google, none of them referred to the Mass of the Lagrangian object, they only dealt with the masses of the Sun and Earth.

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So what is supposedly on the other side of the sun? Are we asking if it's at all possible there's another planet over there we don't know about?

8. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Nothing, or at least nothing significant. If there were all of the probes to Venus, Mars, or other points that have used a gravity assist from 'ol Sol wouldn't have made it where they were going. A planetary mass there would have thrown any calculations off.

Additionally, the Earth is in an elliptical orbit, not a circular one. Therefore we would be able to see across to the "other side" of our orbit enough that we would notice another planet.

9. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I realize all that, I was just wondering if Cobalt Agent thinks there's something there.

10. Cobalt Agent

Oh no. I was just wondering if theoretically there could be something there without throwing us into a shitload of chaos. Another reason besides the movie I mentioned was that stars can have twin orbits, and was wonering if planets could have sister orbits around stars.

11. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Well, if there was something there and always has been, then the "chaos" you speak of would be the norm.

I'm not sure if there are sister planet orbits. There are theories about some large object that has a highly elliptical orbit around our sun that takes it far out of the solar system, and it returns every few thousand years to cause chaos. I think it's called "dark nemesis" or something like that.

12. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Everyone's pretty much got it right. It would have little noticable effect on us, but astronomers are good enough that they would have been able to notice the object's influences on other objects in the solar system, however slight as it might be.

And here's the Nemesis wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_%28star%29
    In short: don't hold your breath.

13. Herbz

Herbz Bleh~

Basically the object would have to have a mass at least the same order as our Sun for it to have any non-negligible effect. Doesn't really matter where it is.