Sci-Fi Vs Fantasy

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by siccoyote, Jun 29, 2018.

1. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was just watching Power of the Primes and I was thinking how I just couldn't get into it. Not because of the acting, animation pacing etc, but because of the basic building blocks of it. The same way I struggle to get into the comics.

Most of what I experienced transformers media wise growing up was the G1 cartoons and the Ladybird book and tape stories. I didn't read much of the comic unlike most in the UK.

But anyway my main point is this, the G1 cartoon was very much a sci-fi show, there was no magic and they tried to explain most things scientifically. Gods never came into it. And what mattered mostly was what was in the present.

Many animated versions since have remained vague about origins and stick to a sci-fi mold, like RID2001 & animated, but things started slipping in with the ancient artifacts, which really just seemed like cool weapons, in prime. And now with the prime wars trilogy and the movies it'staken on all the fantasy stuff that used to be restricted to the comics it's all full of gods, magic, ancient artifacts, super powers, knights and dragons. It's like the d&d fanatics have took over the franchise.

I think the thirteen primes idea is stupid.

Just had to put this out as I just worry about the franchise drifting further from what I enjoyed in the first place. Also too much love and stuff.

I know my opinion is not a popular one but what do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Fire on the Mountain (episode) - Transformers Wiki
    Atlantis, Arise! - Transformers Wiki!
    Dinobot Island, Part 1 - Transformers Wiki
    Dinobot Island, Part 2 - Transformers Wiki
    A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court (episode) - Transformers Wiki
    Sea Change - Transformers Wiki
    Madman's Paradise - Transformers Wiki
    Carnage in C-Minor - Transformers Wiki

See also the mystical artifacts (Matrix of Leadership, Plasma Energy Chamber/Key, Key to/Vector Sigma)

• Like Like x 1
  3. siccoyote

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Plasma energy chamber is not a mystical thing it's just a very dangerous forge, vector sigma is a computer, the key is a key for the computer with other functions.

Much of this I will put down to season 2 being goofy a lot and reusing old stories and playing off them.

Dinobot island was a temporal anomoly. I got nothing for sea change.

4. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I almost started a thread with a similar topic the other day!

I haven't seen any of the Prime Wars cartoon past Combiner Wars so I can't speak for that, but I've noticed a general shift towards fantasy and away from sci-fi in recent years. I really enjoy Prime, but I don't care for the more 'mythical' origin they used (with the 13 Primes and all).

I really don't like Primus and Unicron being 'gods'. Originally Unicron was just the Death Star. A big villain-of-the-week that the heroes had to overcome. I don't know why he's become a literal god in the newer fiction. I also don't like Primus' existence at all. Having a good-guy counterpart to Unicron sort of negates the hero's journey. It would be the equivalent of the Rebels building their own Death Star instead of Luke blowing it up. In some ways I have a lot of respect for Simon Furman, but I think creating Primus was a huge misstep (unless it works better in that story, I'm only familiar with the more recent versions of Primus.)

I sort of miss the original origin of the Transformers. They were created by aliens as a labor force and a military force. Cybertron was a factory planet. Eventually the robots had enough and rebelled. All of that is a lot more simple and concise than the Lord of the Rings-esque mythology that seems to plague the recent stuff. It's just too contrived and doesn't have a point.

The problem for me isn't just that it's 'mythical', it's that most of it is pointless and confusing. And it also makes everything "the greatest ever". Cybertron isn't just a factory planet that went wrong, it's divinely created! Optimus isn't just some guy who happened to take leadership of the Autobots, he's the Chosen One reincarnation of one of the original 13 Primes!

This isn't to say it's all bad. Occasionally it lends itself to something fun. I really enjoyed Micronus Prime in RID. I like how the movieverse rides the line between fantasy and sci-fi (outside of maybe robot heaven). TLK made it clear that "magic" was just advanced science-based tech, I really like that.

We seem to be at the end of an era for Transformers. IDW is ending, Aligned is ending, the toyline is being rebooted, and the movieverse is ending (or at least being majorly reworked). I'm really hoping this next era streamlines the origins and takes it back to it's sci-fi roots. I kind of think that could be the purpose of rebooting everything, but I could be wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Stonecrusher

Stonecrusher Just another Edgelord

News Credits:
    honestly, at this point, there's no difference between the two that isn't cosmetic.

6. siccoyote

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I beg to disagree there is plenty to differentiate the two. But there are many that mix the two. Though some will lean more heavily one way than the other

7. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I'd simply call it a space opera. Quite a few critics I've read were considering space opera a fantasy genre in sci-fi trappings, going by Star Wars as the genre codifier.

But yeah, personally I deeply dislike all this unneeded mysticism added to Transformers. Budiansky and Sunbow got it the best.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Galvatross

Galvatross Online Fandoms Suck! Veteran

In most cases I prefer Transformers to be more science fiction than fantasy, but there are instances where I am fine with a little bit of the latter.

I'm fine with there being Sparks and Allsparks as long as Primus is not involved, but I don't really want space deities or multiversal singularities. I don't want the Transformers to be creations of Primus. I prefer Unicron being built by someone or something else over him being Primus' equivalent. For that reason, I actually like Unicron being a creation of Primacron. Personally, I'd love it for Unicron to be the ultimate weapon of the Quintessons gone rogue; I've always felt the Quintessons and Unicron should be highly connected.

Ironically, some of my favorite episodes are more fanciful episodes, like "A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court" and "Madman's Paradise." I just find a lot of enjoyment from those over-the-top episodes with wizards human and alien.

Maybe that's inconsistent of me, but in the end what matters is whether I enjoy it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

Yep. It's sci-fi that's so soft it's like soft-serve ice cream. Star Wars is a very good comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

• Like Like x 1