Sci Fi Science TV Program

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AutoCon2076, Mar 21, 2011.

1. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Ma dukes just pointed out to me that the show Sci Fi Science is having a Transformers episode tonight (9:30pm EDT). Apparently its a repeat, but I've not seen it. The description is as follows...

Repeat, HD, "Shapeshifting Transformer", (2010) Cars that become walking robots are discussed.
    (Documentary).

Anyone seen this episode yet?

~Z

2. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've seen it. Not too spectacular. He doesn't build a theoretical Cybertronian. He builds something else. Granted he does propose a robot that can change forms.

While I rather like Michio Kaku, that series doesn't really impress me all that much.

3. fisch

fisch In a room...WITH A MOOSE!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    +1. It was ok. Michio is brilliant, but the show does leave a lot to be desired. I remember he did one about making a light saber that was pretty neat.

4. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Funny, Michio mentions in the episode that fans might question his non-conventional ideas at what a "transformer" is. Interesting ideas and theories, though, but totally not what I expected. They also couldn't get rights to use any movie footage, and the CGI models resembling Prime and Bumblebee were altered just enough to avoid a lawsuit. But it's a fairly entertaining show, I just hate the end of every episode where he has an audience of extras dressed as cosplayers. It's just odd and distracting. In the "Shapeshifting" episode, there's even a freaking puppet reacting to him talking.

And there was a related first-season episode about building a scifi robot -- there's a video excerpt here:

Sci Fi Science : Videos : Science Channel

Both seasons of the show are now on DVD, for anyone interested:

Sci-Fi Science Seasons 1 & 2 DVD, Discovery Channel , Discovery Channel Storee

5. Rexidus

News Credits:
    They aren't extra's. He's at a convention, just can't tell which one. It's not that hard to get geeks at a convention to listen to a sci-fi pitch for 20 minutes from a scientist whose famous. (And I say that while proudly wearing my GEEK shirt, so don't think that was patronizing.)

6. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I suppose that's possible. A lot of the fan interview footage from the show is shot at cons, but in this particular episode it looks like a sound stage shoot and the audience looks like they were cast as extras. The most obvious example is the puppet in the audience -- it's just too much, and looks deliberately staged. The costumes overall didn't look very genuine either, like they just came from a local shop or studio wardrobe dept.

And trust me... they still qualify as extras, whether they are genuine fans or not.

7. Rexidus

News Credits:
    They record the interviews at the same con they revealed at. Obviously this means the answers at the con don't impact the final design, though the answers given likely mirror the goals originally set out for them.

The location appears to be a standard conference room most cons have, though the furniture has been removed. A bit of a small room by the looks of it too, which wouldn't surprise me.

The costumes, well you must go to some amazing cons because they looked on par with the ones I've seen. And depending on the con a puppet is a perfectly reasonable companion.

I think you're just seeing a conspiracy where there is none. Why would they pay people and costume makers to make that when they could get it for free at a con.

8. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Where's the source for your info? Most of the episodes I've seen are location shoots mixed with con footage interviewing fans, most of which appears to have been shot at SDCC.

For the lightsaber episode, it was Michio speaking to a group of...what appear to be random people (a couple in costume) who showed up for the shoot in what looks like an abandoned building. IMDB doesn't list any casting info for the show, and the show's end credits don't mention it either. But that doesn't necessarily mean they don't put out casting calls for background extras to serve as audience members.

It is not, however, reasonable mixed in a group of people as an audience member, unless it's for the sake of comedy. And in this case, it was not -- it was really distracting.

No, I've worked on-camera productions for several years now. There's no conspiracy because it happens all the time.

I've been paid to do costumed re-enactments for documentaries, industrials, and a few times for feature films and TV shows. It all depends on the production budget. (And if you don't believe me, I do have an IMDB page although it only represents about a third of my work.)

And in previous episodes I've seen of the Science Channel series, none seemed as staged as the "Shapeshifting" audience at the end. The addition of the puppet was what made the red flag go up.

I could be totally wrong, but I've worked on enough productions to be able to spot staged background extras when I see them. And in this ep, they just didn't look authentic enough to me.

9. Rexidus

News Credits:
    I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. I find the idea that this was anything but genuine to be laughable, but I respect your opinion to view the situation differently.

10. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    S'okay by me.

I'm actually going to contact the show and see if I can get some related production info. If they ever shoot in Atlanta, I would like to be involved.