School calls Mom instead of 911

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TFfanmaiku, Sep 22, 2012.

1. TFfanmaiku

TFfanmaiku The robot and brony guy!

2. Breakdown96

Breakdown96 ‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

Stupid School, glad mine's not like that.

3. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Off-topic about TFfanmaiku's comment:There is no common sense. There just isn't any in the world to spare. Just.....none.

On-topic: That's just stupid.

4. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    some parents could get pretty pissed if they weren't called first. it's kind of a crapshoot how the parent reacts.

5. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It seems that more than one person works at the school. One person could call the parents and one could call medical, at the same time.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    This or at least call either 911 immediately after talking with the parents or the parents after calling 911.

Just calling the parents is a stupid policy.

7. Breakdown96

Breakdown96 ‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

Just honestly stupid, thought they're suppose to take care of their students.

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I don't see the school at fault in any way here.

If there's a registered nurse on-site or someone certified to give first aid, then that's always the first step. Then call the parents, and see if they want an ambulance called to the school or if they can leave home/work to pick the kid up to take to the emergency room themselves.

Not everyone is willing to pay the cost of an ambulance ride, insurance or not.

There's no common sense to take into account here, the school did what was right, and also gave the parents consideration. Those parents could just as easily have complained if the school called for the ambulance first, and got stuck with the bill from the Hospital.

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Honestly, 911 should be called only in life-threatening situations. A broken arm typically is not, so I can understand 911 not being at the top of the priority list. It's not like the ambulance can really do anything for a broken arm in-route to the hospital other than just transport, which the parent can do themselves anyway. Also, so many of you are not taking legalities into account here.

10. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Wait a minute, the school can't wait to tell me that from the hours of 9am to 3:15 my assets were property of the state but when I break my arm my parents get a phone call? So they're not responsible...at all? WTF?!!

11. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'm not seeing what even warranted an ambulance or 911 call in the first place here, given that the girl just broke her arm. Taking that into account, calling the parent makes sense.

Like, I'd feel differently if the girl had stopped breathing or something drastic/life threatening & the person not administering 1st aid called a parent instead of 911, but eh. For me anyway, this article only proclaims outrage from people who didn't read it, and or who're looking for reasons to rage at schools.

12. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Parent also could have been the religious type that rejects medicine, or prefers their witch doctor or whatever. Then they sue for a couple million. As the kid's life didn't seem to be threatened, the school did the right thing.

13. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Ambulances rides are hilariously expensive. Why would you call one for just a broken arm? Maybe the girl's parents are too poor to afford an ambulance. Or maybe its just a broken arm, and an ambulance is just not needed.

14. TheMrmaster21

TheMrmaster21 I will swallow your soul.

The school was right in my opinion. You don't need an ambulance for a broken arm.

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:

Why would they need to call 911 first? If my kid gets hurt, I would like to be the first person contacted before a group of strangers decide what is best for my kids, unless of course there it is a LIFE or death situation, then do what is right. Could you imagine the shit storm if the school called the Ambulance and the family didn't have coverage or insurance? Also, once the mom knew, why didn't she call the ambulance after she heard from the school? Maybe it was a question about sevarity???

When I was younger I was at a house party and through a series of silly decisions I ended up breaking my collar bone. Even my stupid drunk friends knew to call my parents so they could take my dumb ass to the hospital.

16. TFfanmaiku

TFfanmaiku The robot and brony guy!

So from what I'm getting form a lot of you is, if your kid broke their arm, you will tell them to walk it off? I don't claim to be a doctor but I'm 100% sure if you broke your arm you should go to the hospital.

17. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I'm not a civil engineer but I'm 100% sure that there are different ways to get to a hospital.

18. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I'd give em some ice & possibly Mcdonalds, and then drive them to a clinic/hospital for an x-ray + cast.

19. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I don't recall ANYONE in this thread suggesting they weren't going to take the kid to the Hospital. But after a splint and wrap from the school Nurse, all you need at the Hospital is an x-ray and cast. There's nothing you need EMTs for, or an ambulance ride.

If you want to pay upwards of $5000 or more for a drive though (apparently like these parents do), then that's your prerogative. I'd rather spend the $10 on the gas it takes me to make that drive myself.

20. Kujo1597

Kujo1597 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I admit that I'm quite ignorant about the world outside of Saskatchewan but... Can't you just drive to the hospital? When I was getting blood all over the kitchen I phoned my grandparents and got a ride to the hospital in my grandpa's truck.

At least they called the parents. My pinky was crushed and bleeding and oozing but my teacher didm't let me go home. My dad gave him sooo much shit. :lol  The teacher just replied "I'm not a doctor!" Dumbass...