Schmidt gone from IDW?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by dj_convoy II, May 16, 2011.

1. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Wait, what? He, who apparently doesn't remember what was going on in the comics he was editing? At Hasbro?

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Wait, so he's gone to Hasbro itself? Cripes.

4. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Yeah, I don't know what to think about this. And what could Hasbro need him for?

5. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, this is a very interesting situation. Not sure if it's good or bad, but interesting nonetheless.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Oh great, now he can screw up continuity at Hasbro directly!

7. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, screw IDW, their stuff was already a mess, but I don't want their recent quality anywhere near Hasbros stuff. Ugh, crossing my fingers that he's there to do something that has nothing to do with Transformers. Please.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    No guarantee he'll be working for the Transformers brand of course. Hasbro might have brought him on to work on GI Joe, or even to work on something related to The Hub.

There's a whole lot of things this could potentially be. We'll see when it happens.

9. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Makes you wonderwhat Hasbro will use him for. Granted I'm not to familiar with him so I don't know too much of his history or skill set. Well anyways I wish him luck.

10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  11. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I just hope we get an editor who:

1) Has a solid vision that is obtainable without expecting people to wade thru two years of misfires (and realizes that there has been a LOT of faith lost in regards to IDW's TF output)

2) has some background knowledge of TFs (I don't expect anyone to have OUR level of knowledge- but someone who has carefully scrutinized the IDW output, at least, might be good)

3) Someone who doesn't have a lot of excuses at hand. There's been a lot of them over the past couple of years:

"Come on now. That's not what he meant when he gave that interview."

"Maybe you guys read it wrong."

"You're not the intended age group."

"You've got to give it a chance. Course corrections take time."

"This would have not been an issue if you weren't obessed with canon."*

I don't want excuses. I want entertaining comics that don't feel like an excuse to subsidize trade paperbacks on a monthly basis. Value for money. Good plotting, good scripting and good art. Trust me- I want to purchase and enjoy Transformers comics- and I don't think the formula is too hard to grasp.

Good characterizations, attention paid to what has gone before whilst moving ahead, consistancy (in both plot and art), plotting that involves natural characterization instead of characters being shoehorned into nonsensical plots, and trusting the audience to be able to handle some level of subplots in each issue.

I hope IDW can make it happen.

I hope Andy's new gig at Hasbro is more of an unqualified success than his two years here were. Good luck.

*Mr. Schmidt never said anything like this, but another TF editor at IDW certainly did

12. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've always been amused by these two quotes. :lol 

13. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    Nothing. They are locking him up in a basement right next to the cases of Warpath and Windcharger, never to be seen again.

14. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Simon Furman for editor!! Not sure how practical that would be, considering where he lives..:p 
    But hey...some people don't like his writing style (me included, I guess), but the man knows how to deal with contuinity and overarching plots..and he loves Transformers...right? Right?

15. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Well, unfortunately, Andy did more at IDW than just TFs... and Simon's already a pretty busy cat. :) 

You know- the thought occurs- what if Hasbro is getting into publishing?

16. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I really hope Hasbro isn't looking into publishing. They barely know how to balance the more adult side of the fanbase as is. If they go into comics we'll end up with some kiddie targeted crap that I have no intrest in buying.

As for Schmidt, I think he's done a great job at IDW, taking over when the books were in a pretty bad place. Through his direction (which admittedly has been rocky) but I genuinely believe were lined up for some of the best TF comics we've ever had.

I just hope whoever takes the job will be as willing to take chances like Andy has.

17. artoni

artoni Fangirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not sure if want. I respect the others who think differently, but I'm firmly in the "GTFO ANDY" boat. Him moving to Hasbro makes me worry for other things - are they the ones editing Exodus? - and I hope he stays off the Transformers brand. Affection or not, you can love something and still bungle it up.

18. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    zing!!!!

Lmao!!!

19. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Wow... really don't get the rage here towards him. I don't really see anyone justifying their criticsm of him. How exactly has he been a bad editor? hasn't his tenure kinda been after the point of AHM scrapping everything thatcame before. Is it the art choices? I like the risks he's taken even if not entirely successful. At least we know what doesn't work! In fact, I think blame for the artistic 'errors' fall at the feet of the artists as much as the editor. I wouldn't decide to change the look of characters just because I could, even if I were given free reign to do so.

I think the big problem people have is that they didn't really want an ongoing series, as opposed to interconnected minis we recieved before. They expect immediate resolution to a storyline. The call it bad writing/editing if we don't. We have 2 years of storyline coming together now in a massive way. I think it's pretty awesome.

20. Cyclonus86

Cyclonus86 Wrecker - Wreck 'N' Rule

News Credits:
    This.

Hopefully he doesn't muck up anything at Hasbro.

Now get rid of Costa and bring Roche, Roberts and Furman back.