Scatman Crothers & Casey Kasem

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Did Crothers die when the Movie came out?? And if he hasnt passed away you think Jazz would of been in Season 3 with a role? And on to Casey Kasem if he didnt leave the show you think Cliffjumper would of been in Season 3 with a role aswell?

2. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Jazz would have had a reduced role - Season 3 was all about the newer toys and their adventures. I would imagine the same would have applied to Cliffjumper as well.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Scatman Crothers died on November 22, 1986... so he died a few months after the movie.

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    "Of" is not a verb.

[/grammar nazi]

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I actually kinda doubt it. I think one of the most underestimated reasons why season 3 failed is because even the season 1 characters who weren't shown being killed or dead had no significant role post-movie. The reason I think it matters?

It would have been a whole lot less jarring to see Rodimus rubbing shoulders with Optimus' most trusted lieutenants. Having guys like Jazz and Bumblebee shown establishing a rapport with Rodimus would have made Rodimus seem more legitimate, and could have reduced the rate of fallout after Optimus' death. Like, Optimus is gone, but at least the new guy has a tangible, living connection to him. Shoving in the term "old friend" in the movie when Optimus addressed Ultra Magnus just didn't seem to do the trick.

6. tfike110

tfike110 G1ToyCollector

Ebay:
    Both Jazz and Cliffjumper weren't killed off in the movie even though there were plenty of opportunities to do so.

So I think these 2 characters probably were in the plan for season 3.

But when Crothers died and Kasem left, then the writers had no choice but to put them in the cast of non-speaking background characters.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    There were a lot of characters who werent seen to die in the movie, especially from the season 2 cast. But since jazz and cliffjumper no longer had toys to sell, it's likely they would have become background characters anyway.

8. tfike110

tfike110 G1ToyCollector

Ebay:
    But they were 2 of the supporting characters that did get a lot of screen time in the movie, just like the dinos, perceptor, blaster, bumblebee, and Spike (all of which were still speaking characters in season 3).
    The other season 1-2 characters that became background characters (sunstreaker, sideswipe, hound, warpath, etc) didnt even have speaking rolls in the movie. So these characters were def getting the boot.
    I think crothers dying and kasem leaving just added jazz and CJ to the list.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    That is a good point, though I can't see where they would have fit in as recurring characters in season 3.

10. evebird

evebird Waiting for Omega

The other thing to remember is, in the first episode of the season 3 opener, "Five Faces of Darkness," there is a race featuring a car that looks just like Jazz. But they end up naming it something else. It seems likely that Jazz was written into that storyline, and planned as an available character moving forward. But once Scatman died, the writers changed plans.

11. captaingambit

captaingambit Urban Explorer/Toy Addict

In Five Faces of Darkness part 1, I am pretty sure they refer to Jazz by name as the car in that race.

12. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^They actually don't. It cuts away to Blurr bitching about not being there, then when it cuts back to the olympics, it says something about the winner being "Munka Spanka" or something like that. It's not clear if they're talking about the Jazz robot or something else, since it cut away

13. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

Oh I never noticed that I just figured it was Jazz. I thought the weird name they said was one of those rolling-ball aliens....

I think Bee was kinda takin it easy those days, Im pretty sure he had some PTS goin on

14. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I always thought this as well. I also believe if Transformers carried on past the Rebirth, then we'd see more of Starscream.

Also, guys like Blaster, Perceptor and the Dinobots had toys that were introduced in 85, and at that time, toys were out for two years. Since season 3 aired in 86, we see those characters prominently since it was during the second year that their toys were being sold. If you notice, we don't see Perceptor or the Dinobots in the Return of Optimus Prime, and Blaster is relegated to a non-speaking role. Incidentally, RoOP came out in 87 when those toys were effectively being phased out.

15. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Scatman died end of 86. by which time they probably had most if not all of the 1987 line planned.

The implication then is that they had the 1986 line decided long before Crowthers passed.

16. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

Really? no wonder what happened to Jazz

17. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^You're probably right, and it WAS intended to be Jazz, just the was FFOD darkeness was edited it was hard to tell, as with many other problems in that mini-series.

18. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

:D  That's funny.

They definitely don't use the name Jazz in the episode. But I know that they didn't refer to the character by any other name. To me, it was pretty clearly supposed to be Jazz.

I think that the most screen time that Jazz could've possibly seen in season 3 is about the same as Soundwave. A few appearances, but not a whole lot.

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Actually Soundwave appeared in about 8 episodes of season 3.

20. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    That is almost certainly true. Kasem and Crothers are bankable names, this is almost certainly why Cliff and Jazz are specifically shown to survive the film. Jazz is one of the first Transformers you see in "The Five Faces of Darkness." One has to assume they intended him to remain a principal character.

But it's not like Rodimus had NONE of the original Autobots to hang out with.. Grimlock and Perceptor found their roles increased in Season 3, and Bumblebee, while not as ubiquitous as he was earlier, was certainly around.

But I seem to recall Season 3 a little more fondly than most.