scary movies you recommend

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by funstorm, Oct 13, 2009.

1. funstorm

funstorm Doer of nothing

so seeing how its october and all its that time to start watching scary movies galore.what are some of your favorites? discuss

2. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Really, the top three horrors you NEED to watch are
    The Exorcist
    Night of the Living Dead
    Halloween

But if you're looking for more, then I'd recommend doing some research, because there are literally MILLIONS of horror movies out there. Like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dracula, Blair Witch Project, ect.
    When people say Psycho is the greatest horror movie of all time, I'm sorry but bullshit. It's okay, but not everything Alfred Hitchcock spits out is holy and perfect. Watch Psycho if you really want to, or have the time. But definetly don't put it on your priority list.

3. funstorm

funstorm Doer of nothing

i probabbly should have mentioned that i've seen all of those.oops lol

4. Hiraga

News Credits:
    Then try doing research like I said. Because chances are most people have only seen the really well known stuff. Some of my personal favorite stuff that isn't so well known are Maniacts, Man's Best Friend, and Satans Little Helper. You can find some really good low-budget stuff.

You also have Midnight Meat Train, which I don't see to many people talking about anymore.

Watch Halloween 3, if you're willing to accept that it doesn't have anything to do with Halloween 1 or 2. It is good, but just put in the wrong franchise.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a great flick too, I prefer the original to the other THREE remakes. But each remake has something I like about it.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is EXCELLENT if you're looking for something genuinely quiet and disturbing. The remake is great too, but doesn't really have the silent-but-scary affect the original had.

I don't give a shit what anyone says, the remake of Halloween was awesome. Not as good as the original, but at least did something different.

Watch the Friday the 13th series, but I can only recommend 1-7. Watch Freddy vs Jason if you want, because it's really the best out of the four New Line has released.

Then there's Nightmare on Elm Street. Do yourself a favor and just watch the first.

5. r0guearmy

r0guearmy Wizrd. TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    [REC] (it's spanish with english subtitles)
    I can only recommend Quarantine if you're a Dexter fan, it's pretty much a shot-for-shot remake of [REC] but with less undead soul
    Signs

6. funstorm

funstorm Doer of nothing

i actually seen a lot of the movies mentioned.maybe i should turn this into a scary movie discussion thread instead just to reminince on being scared shitless

7. Hiraga

News Credits:
    *sigh* Then WHY di you make the thread? Did you honestly think most people were going to just come here and tell you about all of these horror movies you haven't seen or heard of before? Most people would be here talking about the popular well known horror movies.

Honestly, I must say once again do some RESEARCH instead of asking people on a Transformers forum. Or go on Bloody Disgusting. As much as I hate how rude people there can be, if you ask a simple question, you're bound to get more information there then you would here.

But really, try and watch Maniacts if you haven't yet. Mans Best Friend is awesome too. Not scary, but just really fun.

8. funstorm

funstorm Doer of nothing

ya kinda dropped the ball there.my bad.but thanks for the recomendations ill keep them in mind

9. Hiraga

News Credits:
    Nevermind. Delete this post.

Seriously though, Bloody Disgusting would be a good source for most things horror.

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YOU ASKED US FOR OUR FAVORITES, NOT TO GUESS WHAT HORROR FILMS YOU HAVEN'T SEEN YET. lol.

There are horror movies out there that disturb the shit out of me. The Exorcist- i own a copy that has never been opened. never can watch it alone.

and there are some i watch in a purely academic manner. Evil Dead is a movie i wish was shown in Film or in Psychology classes. it is a fascinating movie for me to analyze.

I have horror movies i like but do not consider horror movies at all. Jaws. Alien (1970's). The Lost Boys. and a few others.

But ya wanna know something? The Best Horror Movie EVAH is the one you never can see. i have a suggestion. Put in a DVD of a horror movie you haven't seen, say one of those perverse italian Zombie flicks, and start it. then TURN the TV off and listen in the dark.
    I can't do that with a lot of movies I have seen several times.

and, it is something you haven't seen before.

11. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light TFW2005 Supporter

Well ... my favourites are:
    The Grudge
    The Blair Witch Project
    Alien (first one)
    Halloween
    The Fly
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (new version)

I think thats about it.

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I quite like those Japanese scary movies, like Ringu, Dark Water, The Grudge, The Eye and so on. The American remakes are okay but I prefer the Japanese versions.

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

The only two movies that ever really scared the shit out of me in the theaters were Event Horizon and The Blair Witch Project.

When I was a kid, Fright Night scared me so bad that I squeezed my cat until she pissed on me and then I didn't watch another scary movie until I was ten.

14. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Descent and The Host are my two favorites, and the only ones I own. The Descent is a British film and The Host is Korean. Both are quite excellent. Both have sequels coming soon. I'm surprised Hollywood hasn't bastardized them yet.

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'll be watching these over Halloween:
    Hellraiser (Clive Barker's dark fairy tale still excels in atmosphere and claustrophobia over 20 years on)
    The Exorcist (Still to my mind one of THE finest horror movies ever made)
    In the Mouth Of Madness (John Carpenter takes on Cthulhuian concepts to horrible effect)
    [.REC] (FUCKING SCARY AS HELL. And FAR better than the remake by a VERY long way)
    30 Days Of Night (proper vampires, not a bunch of glittery virgins or emo tossarses)
    The Fog (my all time favourite ghost story)
    Don't Look Now (Nick Roeg's classic adaptation of DuMarier's story, brought beautifully and chillingly to life by Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie. And that climactic scene. Be careful what you wish for. Oh good God, be careful what you wish for.)
    Alien (I have never seen a more textbook example of atmosphere in my life. Ever.)
    The Thing (John Carpenter again. Kurt Russel fights alien shapechanger in the ice. Fucking brilliant)
    Dying Breed (Go looking for tigers, find cannibals. Oops.)
    The Woman In Black (if you can find it; it's an old 1980s BBC adaptation of the book and play. Deleted but still findable with effort)
    Event Horizon (Yeah. Fuck you pandorum, THIS is how to do Hellraiser in space)
    Halloween (original)
    The Last Broadcast (an odd one, this. a low budget documentary on the trail of The Jersey Devil, involving the disappearance and murder of a documentary crew)
    The Picture Of Dorian Gray (the original 1945 version. Not strictly a horror movie, but it is DAMN chilling)
    Psycho (The purest psychological horror movie ever made IMO)

16. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Suspiria - one of the best deaths ever at the beginning
    Cannibal Holocaust - not exactly scary, but one of the goriest movies you'll ever see
    Thirteen Ghosts
    Dead Alive
    Evil Dead trilogy
    The Thing (John Carpenter remake, didn't care so much for the original)
    Nightbreed
    Hellraiser 1-4
    Nightmare On Elm Street 1-3
    Saw movies (yes, I know - but they still have originality and the ability to tie into each other)
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original, Part II, and The Beginning)
    I Spit On Your Grave
    Phantasm I and II
    Amityville Horror (the original, although the remake is alright)
    The Exorcist
    The Shining
    Nosferatu
    John Carpenter's Vampires
    Blair Witch
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Subspecies
    Puppet Master 1-3
    Re-Animator
    Cujo
    Carrie
    From Dusk 'til Dawn
    Fright Night
    Poltergeist
    Romero's zombie trilogy (Night, Dawn, and Day of the Dead)
    Ginger Snaps
    It's Alive
    The Ring
    Scream (again, yes I know, but they all work well together)
    IT
    Hostel (I and II)
    Feast
    High Tension
    Audition
    The Howling
    The Serpent and The Rainbow

I could keep going, but that's plenty for now. I'll have to raid my DVD collection at home to get more.

17. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My Personal Favorites are:

Carrie
    Psycho
    Misery
    Saw
    Final Desination (ok, not actually horror...)
    Friday the 13th (all of them)
    Nightmare of Elm Street
    Halloween (1, 2, 4 - 8)
    Halloween 2 (Remake)
    Sorority Row
    My Bloody Valentine
    My Bloody Valentine 3D
    Sleepaway Camp 1 - 3
    Thinner
    The Mist
    Sweeney Todd 2007 (Yes I know it's also a Musical)

That's pretty much it... for now...

jD001

18. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree with The Ring (I like the U.S. version better), The Descent, Saw (first one only), Alien, [REC], Poltergeist, and both versions of The Amityville Horror. :thumb 

19. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I like House on Haunted Hill (1999 version) and Ghost Ship.

20. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light TFW2005 Supporter

How could I forget about The Blair Witch ... that movie is so great.