Scariest Video Games?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Fez Findie, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

As likely as this has already been done a few times, I just couldn't help myself but make a thread about this after buyin' Silent Hill from PSN Store. Damn, that game sure actually benefits from the graphics of the day, with the jittery characters and all that. And makin' mist alone into an element of fear. :) 

2. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

i don't know about everyeone else, but i used to get jumpy whenever i played any of the Resident Evil games late at night. zombies jumping from around the corner can suprise you when your half asleep.....

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Doom 3 tended to scare the piss out of me. Esp at 2 or 3 in the morning half-asleep but grudging through it.

4. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Doom 3 and Eternal Darkness. ED just plained fucked with me.

5. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    Back in the day I came close to shitting my pants when I played RE1 for the first time, when the first dogs attacked you. Wow! For newer games, I'd say Doom 3. That game fucked me up, haha :) 

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    In order:
    Resident evil 1 & 2
    Condemned
    Silent Hill 2
    FEAR
    Dead Space
    Doom 3
    Bioshock

7. funstorm

funstorm Doer of nothing

ah good old silent hill. ruining most of my nights when i was little.i play it sometimes and still get scared like a lil girl.it was the whole "always dark" thing tht always got me. then again i was like 9 when i first played it so not a good idea on my side.

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to say I was most scared with Condemned 1 and 2. They aren't as psychological as silent hills or action packed as the revamped RE series, but for in your face scares, it's the best. Overall I think this small series is underappreciated.

9. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Resident Evil 2 had so many great scary moments, what a classic.

10. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    RE:1 was not scary until i played it on acid.

Silent hill freaked me out the most.

11. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

Dead Space loves to mess with you by making you think monsters are gonna pop out, when they actually don't.
    the first time you're playing through the game you're so on edge it's not even funny.
    I've heard fatal frame is pretty freaky.

12. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Silent Hill 1 - that game is just fucking wrong, scared me shitless, so much so I never wanted to progress and leave the safe room I was in.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the gamecube remake of resident evil 1 STILL scares me away from playing it.

just the thought of running into another of those crimson-headed bastards...

14. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

At least you weren't playing the harder difficulty where's the one freaking fast zombie that roams the mansion that you cannot shoot, because he has a ton of explosives strapped to him. What a pain.

Anyway, scariest game for me was Silent Hill 1. Probably due to the limited field of vision you had because of the mist. And because it was always at night. Made the whole game seem like anything was gonna jump out at you from anywhere and scare the crap out of you.

And the siren. That god awful siren. I can still hear it to this day. After beating that, I swore never to touch another Silent Hill game again. I don't like games that make you feel too uncomfortable playing it.

15. comaface

comaface Crush, kill, destroy

Eternal Darkness. Some games go more for 'boo!' scares, others for more psychological horror, but ED does both and does them well.
    The bathtub scene and the first time a Bonethief bursts out of an enemy you just killed are both up there with the dogs jumping through the window in the first Resident Evil as some of the most heart-attack inducing moments in a videogame.
    And a lot of the more psychological stuff is just skin-crawling, especially the levels with Maximillian and Anthony, and some of the insanity effects.

It's also the only time that a breaking-the-fourth-wall event in a videogame has actually flat-out tricked me into doing stupid things (getting up to turn up the volume thinking it's been muted when it hasn't, getting up to shoo a fly off the screen that isn't actually there, and freaking the fuck out thinking that my save file is being deleted...). That game messes with your head.

16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Truth be told I got more than a few frights playing AvP2 on Marine campaign. The lack of music, the 'beep beep' of motion tracker and sudden appearances of Aliens or random occurances.

17. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Ctrl + F: Fatal Frame

Oh, hey someone... oh no they haven't played it.

This thread = EPIC FAIL.

Shame on every one of you!

18. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Fatal Frame/ Project Zero were pretty messed up. Especially in the third one when your in your house/safe room and ghosts start appearing there too.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

You just saved this thread, sir.

20. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Naturally I am gonna go with the jumper moments in RE2, and RE1:remake. Well, the original RE had its moments too with the Hunters and the Chimeras!

If I had to go for a game outside RE, I would go with the Silent Hill series. I actually only played the first 2 but I'll tell ya, that game freaked me the fuck out! Especially the second one. I remember I wouldn't play part 2 in the dark...it was really freakin me!