Scariest Video Game Moment

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Drangleic, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish Shingo No-Prize

Eternal Darkness
    Just walking through the mansion after a chapter, going to the bathroom, searching the tub to get a vision of your protagonists corpse lying in blood.
    Resident Evil 4
    The first playthrough with a puny handgun and the villagers tearing the village apart to get you.

2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

I wasn't afraid of RE4 enemies, I can speak Spanish and when the ganados spoke, I found it hilarious, especially when they sneak up from behind saying BEHIND YOU, IMBECILE!!! just gave away your position.

That was until mr. Chainsaw man appeared. When he cut off Leon's head, I swear I felt the pain.

Chainsaw. A cool weapon. Gears of War, DOOM (especially 2016,)

Chainsaw. One of the scariest weapon that can send chills up anyone's spine.

The giant berserker chainsaw guy in RE4, when I saw it, my mind went: F*** that, I'm gone.

Continuing to RE5. First playthrough, heard the reving of the chainsaw... Just bring it, b!tch!

RE7, when that crazy ass woman chainsawed the protagonist left hand, I swear again I felt the pain.

3. MetalRyde

In early 2006, I got Eternal Darkness and the spooky parts like finding the protagonist dead in a tub full of blood, the busts watching you walk by, head falling off. Spooky but awesome. Until I decided to save the game. The message saying that data in my memory card has been deleted. I turned off the system and the next day, I checked my memory card and got a message saying the card is corrupted. I bought 2 memory cards, a 1019 and a 59 that I got exclusively for E.D.. the only problem is I never played it beyond that one day.

4. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That scene in particular scared me real bad. I had just solved the puzzle, the gear fell off the wall, & the black bars at the top & bottom of the screen disappeared to indicate the cut-scene was over. I took a couple steps to go pick up the gear, thinking nothing of it. This is how scenario 1 goes. And then BOOM!!!!! Trenchcoat Tyrant comes crashing through the wall right next to me!! I ran over, got the gear & got out of the room!
    Ha!! You can't open doors, loser!! See you later!!

*runs around corner*
    BOOM!!!!!
    He crashes through another wall!! And this time he was blocking the way! I had to fight him.

It got to the point that I was so scared of him, that later on when you're playing as Claire & you're in that tiny room with all the stuffed animals & a narrow L-shaped hallway attached to the Chief's office- you head a door open. Ok weird. But then the Trenchcoat Tyrant's theme song starts up! I had to put it on pause & walk away for a few minutes. Just like- nope! Nope! Nope! I can't do this right now!

• Like Like x 1
  5. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

I know exactly the point you mean. I heard the door close and I'm like "did I just hear something?" and then his music starts and he comes around the corner *shudder*

The Nemesis in RE3 didn't have quite the "jump" factor, but I do remember how surprised I was when I discovered you can't get away from him by going through a door. "Whew, now I can rela...HOLY F*** HE'S STILL CHASING ME"

And it's not a "jump" moment, but the Ashford mansion in RE: Code Veronica creeped me out. The music, the lighting, the piles of what seemed to be rotting flesh everywhere, the deformed corpse hanging from the ceiling with flies around it, then the seemingly almost-normal-yet-totally-disturbing rooms of the Ashford twins.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I don't like horror, so what scares me is probably child's play to most. But Clock Tower 3 fucked me up so bad I couldn't keep playing. It was the boss fight with twins with scissors on their head or something.

Silent Hill 2 was another one that messed with my head. I had to play that in tandem with someone just to keep my sanity.

• Like Like x 2
  7. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The earlier RE games always freaked me out like no other game has.

8. MetalRyde

RE:CV zombies are the creepiest depiction of zombies I've ever seen in a game. It, to me, is scarier than REmake
    And RE0.

The music is absolutely perfect

The zombies rising from their graves is scary as f***. Armed with only a knife. I maneuvered around them and was relieved to find a handgun. It wasn't until sometime later that I found the knife in RE:CV is the best version ever.

I think what made it so creepy was that the graphics of the Dreamcast was so much better than the PS1 and gave zombies and the bandersnatch a more detailed appearance.

The bandersnatch's face was wonderfully creepy. I used it as my avatar in another forum that I left 10 years ago.

Though not a horror game, there is one part in Conker's bad fur day/Conker: live and reloaded that gave me chills.

The horror area where the Grim Reaper ask you to kill the squirrel zombies. I don't know what it was but I had a difficult time killing them with the shotgun with the aiming being a bit wonky. Creepy little f***ers.

9. MetalRyde

The first Dino Crisis game (both the PS1 and Dreamcast version) was a survivor/horror game like RE only with dinosaurs instead of zombies and monster.

You really had to be careful when it comes to saving ammo and health items.

Sure, the velociraptor was worry some but when the T-Rex busted through the large office window and eats the recently dead guy, nearly shat myself.

The T-Rex Chases you on a platform, the helipad and other places.

I guess the idea of being eaten by a large carnivorous animal can scare a lot of people. Look at the Jurassic Park movies.

10. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YES! This game made my heart jump a bunch of times. Probably because of how slow you turned around while aiming. :p 

The zombie out of the closet in the early part and the dogs through the window....oh man. What a game at the time.

I found Rondo of Blood scary at the time. With the flying crucifixes, creepy monk chants at the file selection screen, Pentagrams, etc

11. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Silent Hill 2 was especially creepy. There were so many times I was on edge because of the music & lighting alone. There weren't even any monsters around!

Those little black ghost kids in part 1 scared me real good too. They were all black & I was already in a dark building. So when I hear the radio going off & I can't see anything, I'm getting all nervous & looking around & then OH SHIT THEY'RE RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!!!! And they don't even hurt you! They're just there to mess with you!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I remember being but a wee kiddie at my cousin's house. He was playing Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Seemed pretty neat, a colourful green chap running around and saving the day! And then he walks into this dark chamber, and ominously tells me that we're gonna see something real cool.

So I watch as Link walks into the murk, barely able to see anything amidst the darkness. I suddeny feel a bit uneasy; this chamber seems too empty, too quiet, quite unlike what the game had been so far. And then Link looks up at the ceiling.

An enormous eyeball looks right back.

All of a sudden, it rolls all the way around, and then it moves, twitching and stuttering. Crawling and hissing, the thing drops down to reveal itself as an enormous spider-like monster. With a horrific screech, it rises up before the comparatively tiny Link and the game tells us what horrendous creature this, right before it proceeds to attack Link with a sudden intensity beyond all of the little freaks he'd fought thus far.

And that was how a teeny little Meta wound up utterly terrified of both spiders and eye contact for a good few months.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Fatal Frame 1 one...

"My eyes! My Eyes!"

14. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    Funny you mention that I got kind of freaked out by the monsters in the first Uncharted game. Was not expecting that.

15. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    I was playing alien isolation & there were some humans shooting at me. This is bad news, because all the loud noise draws the alien in. But luckily there was a vent shaft right next to me. I sprint over & jump head first into the thing only to have the alien right there in my face!

Another time the alien was crawling around in the vents & a glitch sent it floating up through the floor right next to me & up through the ceiling into the vent above. Scared the hell out of me.

16. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Eternal Darkness - when the game started fucking around with fake TV inputs and fake saved games deletion. Stopped playing with it afterwards. It totally creeped me out.

Fatal Frame: No cheap jump scares just plain creepy atmosphere, music and sound effects running full blast on surround sound in very dark old basement. Stopped playing it as well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MetalRyde

RE5 accomplished that for me.

So many instant kills. The crocodiles was the worst.

18. MetalRyde

So far, I've played Silent Hill ps1 (with 32 bit graphics, still scary as f***),

resident evil 0 ps4 (leechman!!!),

REmake ps4 (spookiest part? Everything!!!),

Resident evil 2 PSP (damn zombie noise),

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis PSP (the Nemesis itself, following you from place to place, creepiest part was the zombies rising from their graves. I thought the virus was not airborne. I thought it only infects from injection, bites and scratches)

The House of the Dead sega saturn (not scary for me. Might scare my 4 year old nephew so I don't play it in front of him)

The house of the Dead 2 sega Dreamcast (review THOTD SS)

The House of the Dead 3 Xbox (the giant, club weilding zombie made me panic while yelling DIE you big bastard!!!.)

MediEvil PS1 (my first PS1 game, so many memories. Not really scary but the first phase of final boss had me nervous but once it is done, the rest of the fight is cakewalk.)

Just bought RECode: Veronica on the PS4, I have the game on Dreamcast, Gamecube and Playstation 2 but the PS4 version is on sale from now to Halloween. Normal price is $15 but now it is $5.37.
    And of course, t-virus leaked to the island and zombies rise the their graves. Again, how?!

In the Antarctica base, there is an optional boss battle with a huge spider. I don't fight it because, as I said, it's optional and a waste of precious ammo. And because my sister has arachnophobia so I avoid it.

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:

OMG that accursed thing. the boss of the bottom of the well.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MetalRyde

I played through RE5, RE6, RE Survivor, RE dead aim, RE Revelaitons. Gonna try to beat Fatal Frame 2 as fast as possible before I pee my pants from the ghosts. I doubt I'll play all my horror games by Tuesday.

In Luigi's Mansion, there is a part where you have to battle a wave of attacking ghosts, when 4 yellow ghosts appear, their sound get amplified and made me and my youngest sister jump from our seats.

I wouldn't say it was scary but in a mission in Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, in the ice cabin, a ice wall boss battle had me panicking because it was difficult dodging it's attacks, took me an hour to beat it.

In 1999, I was playing Mortal Kombat Trilogy on N64 as Cyrax. I was losing a fight against Scorpion, I launched a up close bomb but I was uppercutted and then came FINISH HIM! And the screen darkened a bit and before Scorpion could unleash his FATALITY, my bomb went off, disrupting him and just stood there doing nothing for 3 seconds and then walked up to me and gave me continuous uppercuts that scared me and then the Scorpion Wins, FATALITY appeared and onward to the continue screen.