Scalping discussion (continuation)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bubbah, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Bubbah

Bubbah Master of Disaster

News Credits:
    I'm starting this thread for the sole purpose of continueing a discussion from another thread, that was non-topic....

First I want to appologize. When I say "you" I did not mean YOU specifically. I was going off your examples that if you bought something... and your wife.... so I just went with it. If you're not doing it, then props to you.

As for the anti scalper... no one would expect free shipping, but buying an item (that's hard to find) at cost, plus shipping costs is usually the way people on these forums opperate, and in return everyone looks out for each other and probably tosses around a few extra bucks for the trouble, which is alot different then say, double the cost. I never once mentioned shipping costs for free though.

You're right, no one will ever buy 100 of them and resell them at cost because finding a hundred in the first place is near impossible unless they're hitting the distributor or a warehouse. The average person will never find that quantity, but finding a few extra on the shelf is entirely possible.

And again, you're right that comic shops do buy collections at lower costs. But they are not buying brand new items that are highly sought after from another retail store. They're buying someone's older collection and the person selling it off, not another store and in mass bulk. An items value should not be determined right after it's initial release, the value is determined years down the road after it's no longer around and you can see what people are willing to pay for it. Time will add value to a collection, an immediate turn and burn is NOT collecting, it's scalping.

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Is there a question in there somewhere ... ?

3. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

Oh God, don't whine about threads you've seen before when your hobby is nostalgia guys.

ROLLEY EYES SMILEY

4. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm genuinely just curious as to what the OP's intentions are with this thread? He told a nice story I guess ...

5. Bubbah

News Credits:
    No, like I originally stated, it's a continuation of another topic. There was a debate going on, that took the MP Prime thread way off topic and I was trying to avoid doing that, especially since it was requested that the topic be taken elsewhere so as to not clutter that one.

6. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Both of these responses are pretty darned awesome. Can't lie.

7. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

OP. Scalping is a relative term anyway. Some people consider buying multiples of anything to be literally worse than hitler, others only if they're clearing whole towns out. A lot of the guys on here freely admit to buying multiples when they see them too.

without clearly defining a scalpers its hard to discuss it! And getting everybody to agree on exactly what a scalpers is is problematic at best

I get the impression your objection is actually to high markups, not actually reselling?

(Edit, on phone - spazzed touchscreen and missed last bit off.)

8. Bakushan

Bakushan Well-Known Member

I totally understand now, and agree.

There have been times in my life, when a unique opportunity would arise. a "Turn and Burn" opportunity. The few times I have found these, I have almost always jumped on it. I never thought I was scalping... I thought I had found an awesome opportunity that someone else didn't.

No, I am not some hardcore TF scalper. I am brand new to these forums and still getting settled in...

I understand the frustration with higher prices for things to a collector. I get it. In a way though, I also understand the entrepreneur who might come across the means/way to bu a lot of (anything) for a small price, and resell online for a higher price.

It's like the never ending battle.

As long as large amounts of people want something: people are going to try and profit from it.

And I suppose now I know, that we, "The Online TF Collectors Community" pretty much universally condemn anyone who makes collecting harder/more expensive for any reason.

9. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Okay, cool. I'll save you the trouble and tell you how this thread will break down:

- First 2 pages will be gifs and OMG responses
    - 3rd page will be someone trying to start a discussion by saying "it's my money and toys, I'll do what I want!"
    - Someone will come in and say "Oh WTF?! Fucking scalpers always raining on my parade! THEY'RE THE SOLE REASON I DON'T GET MY TOYS!"
    - A member will surely call out the above statement with "Oh really .... " and go on to mention ways to combat "scalping."
    - There's always one guy who will show up with a picture of those 100 MPs you speak of and he'll be like "Selling em for $120 shipped or I'll trade one for a Fortress Maximus."
    - Flame war ensues.
    - Mods will come in with the big lock and chain while shaking their heads.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but these threads with good intentions or not always boil down to the same thing. It's unfortunate really.

10. Bubbah

News Credits:
    Yeah I know, that was where the topic was getting off hand. In the original thread (pages long of off topic goodness), it was being discussed the differences between scalpers, retail stores, comic shops, etc ... It was all just trying to get worked out but taking away from the main topic, which was the upcoming TRU MP Optimus Prime, so instead of getting yelled at and whatnot, in order to continue the debate, I just started this thread with the last comment (from the previous thread) as a starting point. I certainly didn't mean for there to be a cause for confusion or anything :) 

11. Bakushan

Im very new here... but I take it this has happened before? lol... Sore Subject...

12. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yup.

+1 for the don't give a shit about what people do with their money club.

13. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    :lol  I'm obviously exxagerating slightly, but you'll come to learn that certain topics will always boil down to the same way. This thread has good intentions and honestly, I agree with a lot of what was said in the first post ...

but just wait.

14. Bakushan

:thumbs2:  But even if it's buying out every TRU in a city of a coveted MP item?

I will. lol.

15. Bubbah

News Credits:
    Lmao sadly it's totally true, I may be newer here, but I've been a reader for years and belonged to different forums for over a decade. But occassionally you get a thread with some great debate where no one gets overly worked up and there can be some good talks, so I always hold out hope haha ... Then again maybe I'm a glutton for punishment!

16. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    In the context of TFW2005 (or probably any other collector site, I wouldn't know), scalping can be defined as:

"Some scumbag who is responsible for making it difficult for me to find my toy for retail price."

These threads never end well, but there's clearly a need to vent about this self perpetuating problem (toy looks awesome > fans covet unreleased toy > fans clamour for toy upon release > toy becomes scarce quickly > SCALPERS RUINED MY LIFE!) that perhaps there should be a dedicated thread where people can go for a moan and a hug.

17. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Good post but remember there is a difference between making a modest profit and the outright price gouging one can find on Ebay and Amazon.

18. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'll throw my 2 cents into this question ... and yes, I don't give a shit.

Bottom line is there are assholes in this community and there are friends. I've put myself out there to be close friends with some fellow collectors and we help each other out. I've never missed out on a hot item because of those friendships. I return that favor too. I hooked up 5 people with MP Thundercrackers and all I asked was retail pricing, tax, and an extra dollar or two for gas if they felt comfortable doing so (although I guess some person still feels that's profiting :mad ). Good things can happen with those hot, scalper items.

19. Bakushan

Am I the only one who was like:

"Well, I wonder how much it will cost me for a MP Grimlock?"
    *searches*
    "Well, I guess that would be about $260. Better start saving".

Instead of saying:
    "The original MSRP of this item was $69!!! A penny more is not fair! Wah! I deserve to have it for what they had it for! Not fair!"

20. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    I've got alot of upcoming robots to pay for.

If I walk into TRU tomorrow and find 15 Thundercrackers, you better know that I'm buying all 15, flipping them, and using that extra $$$ to pay for my MP Soundwave, TFC Uranus, etc etc.

Is that Scalping? You bet your ass! Here's me not giving a shit.