Scalping at Botcon??

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SmokescreenWRX, Jul 2, 2007.

1. SmokescreenWRX

SmokescreenWRX Dude. Wait, what?

I was very disappointed to find that most sellers of MP Megs (at Botcon'07) jacked the prices up to ~$150, even after we were told by most retailers that the unmodded Megs would be UNpossible to get.

I really wanted to get one.

2. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

That's how it works at Botcon. If it's hot, it's expensive.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

$150 really isn't that bad of a price.

4. SmokescreenWRX

But it's not just the fact that it's hot... it's the fact that preorders on unmodded Megs were cancelled due to "customs problems" ...and now they all show up at the 'con for $50 more.

That's shady.

5. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I saw a GREAT example of Scalping.

Whilst Pepsi Prime was still being sold for $25 in the Hasbro room, I saw 2 dealers selling them for $60 and $80.

I did hear that one dealer was pulled up by Hasbro for selling something they shouldn't have. But it could have just been a Chinese Whisper, so please don't quote me on this.

6. Optimus-JD

What's shady about it? They got their hands on it somehow. There could have been any number of problems relating to preorders and customs and time. Not that I'm defending them, just don't know.

7. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

Thats how 'cons are. At San Diego 06 Nemesis Prime Alt went from the Hasbro booth to shady dealers all over the con. Price went from 25 to 65 instantly!

It was retarded.

8. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    $150 isn't bad at all. Honestly, $130 shipped was around the original release price.

Have you noticed that gas stations sell for what the other guy is selling for? It's not good business to undercut profits for "the community". If I were a vendor, I'd charge what people are willing to pay.

I'm not a charity.

9. SmokescreenWRX

But that's what is shady about it.
    Online stores (many of the same whom were selling at the 'con) were not able to sell unmodified Megs due to customs and import law... most cancelled customer pre-orders.

If there was a problem importing the unmodded toy then, what's changed between then and now? It's still unmodified, and it's $50 more.

To me, that screams "shady."

10. Optimus-JD

It's not going through the US postal system or UPS for one? Hell, I don't know.

11. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

Nope, try $100 plus shipping and then only if you bought just that. I thought the MPs, all of them, were the most outrageously jacked up items on the floor.

Speaking of scalping though, remember Nemesis Prime at SDCC and HTS? They made, if I recall, something like 500 total. I know I saw easily 5% of that, MISP, at Botcon. Between that and how many others I've seen circulating on eBay or various online storefronts, did anyone who actually, you know, wanted one get it? Mine was an impulse buy I more or less stumbled into and I hope Hotrod doesn't play out much differently.

12. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

They made WAY more than 500.

13. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

Really? I thought I heard 500 more than a few times. Can you give me a better ballpark figure?

Edit: Nevermind, but it's buried in Optimus Prime's wikipedia entry instead of someplace more logical (for instance, the far less lengthy Nemesis Prime article).

I still think there's a ton of them floating around for such a small production run though.

14. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I'm so tired of accusations of scalping getting thrown around on message boards. It's a toy that came out six months ago and has been sold out everywhere in traditional channels for months. If you didn't buy it when it was new, TOUGH. Quit whining and wait for the second production run or pay the price the free market has born. $150 is about the going rate for them right now anywhere you try to buy it, and Botcon is no exception. Do you expect dealers to sell MISB original G1 toys for their original retail price? Is that scalping? The price is what it is because there are ample people who are willing to pay it.

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    ...adding to what KD said, if you don't like the price for something at Botcon, why don't you give them your best offer, instead? Dealer rooms are different from a retail store - they are selling these products aftermarket, as independent sellers, so there is still enough grey room that you can say, for example, "I'll buy your MP Megatron for only $130, but I'll also buy your Alt. Smokescreen GT and your THS-02 convoy for the price you're asking" and - surprise! - the seller might be willing to negotiate.

I said it in the other thread, I'll say it here - people don't barter for a better price anymore. :( 

16. Optimus-JD

I annoy with my bartering sometimes. haha

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I just...honestly, I am really amazed at the willingness that folks have to just shell out for an overpriced product and then complain about it later. Hasbro retails a lot of its products at a pretty reasonable value; the price you're paying when you're "scalped," so to speak, is set by a third party. Corporation they're not; you can always offer any aftermarket seller - from the sellers supporting this site to a dealer in the Junkion exchange - what you'd be willing to pay for an item, and see if they bite. Deals help, too.

It just flabbergasts me, though, to see people just go "Oh well, it's the only time I'll ever see product X" and then, later, say, "I can't believe the scalpers did...(etc.)" I mean, the "die wallet die" jokes are embarrassingly funny, but you can prevent "wallet death" if you take a stand and state a price you're willing to pay.

18. cutback4197

cutback4197 all roads lead to shame

Ebay:
    Botcon dealer room prices have always been high. Generally ebay prices are better, but there is something to be said about actually having the toy in your hand and seeing the condition for yourself, rather than relying on someone's crummy description and terrible pictures. Plus supporting dealers at the con helps keep it going.

19. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Along with Flea markets, I think ebay has killed people's willingness to haggle for something.

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I know I've posted this elsewhere with 'words,' so I'm gonna go pictorial.

[​IMG]

Price is determined by the intersection of the two lines. Supply goes down and demand stays constant = increased price. You can't affect supply as a consumer. But you can affect demand. Like OWAT says, barter. That shifts the demand curve to the left, which lowers the price--or it doesn't, in which case the dealer doesn't sell, but you don't pay too much.

If you find yourself consistently disliking the prices of goods then it means you don't them as much as others do. Which is okay--but complaining about it is as pointless as railing at the tides.