Scalpers.....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by gambit020480, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    You keep calling me sensitive. lol You realize my main problem was with the generalization that everyone who fits into a certain group is something right? Do I care if people care that I still like cartoon, collect toys and other stuff? Not at all, cause it's their loss that they don't get to know me, I just prefer people to not think so generally and alienate people for things that really hold no relevance in life. Hell, if I was as sensitive as you think, I would have offed myself in High School.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

It's not unlikely for scalpers to be average guys that engage in average guy things. They obviously do their research on supply and demand, but I'm sure there are tons of scalpers out there that aren't actual collectors, nor do they give a shit about the mythos that any of this stuff is attached to. Many of them probably don't even fit the classic stereotype of a nerd or geek (whichever term is more applicable). The only thing that applies to all scalpers is that they see a popular toy, be it a collector's piece or a highly sought-after Christmas item, and they try to flip it into something profitable.

3. AutobotMaximal

AutobotMaximal Covert Collector

I didn't say I agree with his point of view. I just think that he's entitled to it. You act as if you intend to erase stereotypes that people such as the OP have for gamers. I'm just saying, save yourself some time. You won't ever change their view. You say you're not sensitive about it, yet you felt the need to try and change the guy's mind with the reply button.

4. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    Is it wrong to wish to help people out of ignorance?

5. AutobotMaximal

AutobotMaximal Covert Collector

I wasn't commenting on that particular segment of the guy's rant. If you want to go off on all the other stuff, be my guest. I'm not gonna die on the sword for any of that.

No. I just think it's futile for most. I guess I could be wrong. I wish you luck.

6. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Hey remember back when this thread was about scalpers?

7. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    It was?

8. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Here is the thing. The dude is pissed and is spewing bs to get out his adult rage. He doesn't realize on his part that there is someone who is actually living with his folks with a disability. So he mindlessly spews bs regardless who he/she hurts because its the internet.

Just don't take him personally. I find if you don't take to much personally here you will be fine.

9. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    My problem isn't with the scalpers themselves; it's always been with the stores that let these clowns clean entire sections out in one shot. And as we have seen, the stores can indeed limit the number of items per customer if they know it will be in short supply. It happened to me when I was buying 4 Commemorative Editions of Soundwave for myself and a couple of fellow collectors. I was limited to two at the til, so I had to get my girlfriend to grab the other two... right behind me in line. And I read it happened a lot with MP Starscream & Grimlock weeks after scalpers were already regularly cleaning out all the stock.

Bottom line is that nothing about some dude walking up to the til with 6-8 of the same figure is normal, and for stuff that has a track record of being high demand like Masterpieces, purchases should absolutely be limited to two. Sure it won't stop them from coming back the next day or getting their buddies to pick the figures up for them, but would still cause a few more headaches than what they're normally used to.

10. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've definitely been called a scalper before, and I deifnitely don't fit any social or physical stereotypes of toy collectors.

That's the bauty of this board: So many different people from different areas and walks of life, and all brought together by a hobby. So, it's a real load of crap to have some butthurt guy who just walked out of toys r us get on here and try to group people up because he's mad over a toy.

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

You're not a nerd if you've got PYTHONS.

I don't have pythons, but I have a lumberjack beard.

12. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, I hate these scalper threads. There always seems to be one. Just because people cannot find the toy they want, it is the scalpers that did it. Shit, by me I never get anything, I'll tell you what, it ain't the sclapers. It's the distrobution.

Also, I have gotten things on here from people who are called scalpers for good prices. I have also had people try to sell me things at scalped prices. It was my choice to buy or not to buy.

To the OP. I recommend you start doing online shopping. It sounds like you are already really pissed over Toys. Is it really worth it? I mean all the anger off of a $6 toy? Really? Order online and save yourself the time and gas money. Call it even in the long run.

13. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Well the stores really have no incentive to enforce those policies, they get paid either way, especially with self-checkout now it's damn near impossible to stop someone from buying as many as they want... which they really should be allowed to, it sucks but this is America.

14. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

Ebay:
    Facebook:

Those two posts back to back make me laugh. :lol 

As for the subject matter of the thread, I can't say I'm a big fan of scalpers. I do agree with some people's post that some scalpers aren't the scum of society living with their parents ripping off the system. I'm sure some scalpers have jobs, lives and are just really saavy about getting the high demand stuff to be able to flip.

But there are likely other scalpers out there that do fit the really bad mental picture many of us conjure up about them. My problem with scalpers myself is that they take ALL of the high demand items from a store shelf. And I simply feel sorry for any kids that lose out from that.

I also get frustrated myself because with my work schedule and having twin 8 year old boys and a 3 year old boy I simply can't get out to hunt at the best times. This + scalpers = missing TF's for me at times. And that makes me a saaad panda. :lol  Seriously, it makes me mad actually. But we have an incredible and awsome network of collectors on the Washington State sightings board. Alot of us are friends actually and meet up on a regular basis. If it wasn't for my network the scaplers would be killing my ability to get the goods I want.

15. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    You know, Scalper threads are repeated often... but NOT as often as the daily multiple

"what characters you want in classics" or
    "Why haven't Has/tak created XYZ in classics/leader class/voyager/whatever" or
    "When is the release date of so and so" and finally the typical
    "Give the top X list of who you want made into toys!"

I mean, if you guys rage on this thread on the sole basis of "it happens often on forum", there are MANY other threads that you should rage on. However, if, like a few posts here, you have legit disagreement to talk about it, I think that's at least, informative, amusing, and interesting. /rant.

16. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I remember posting that I wish there were stickies about this. If there were, we can just attack the posters and make them post in the correct places.

That is the one thing I wish the fandom agreed on. Until then, I think I am going to start an over / under pool of how many times we see these threads duplicated a month. We all chip in, winner wins that months 3rd party toy to be released.

17. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    You forgot Masterpiece threads

18. ionacus

ionacus Well-Known Member

i have had to deal with my share of scalpers when toy hunting. the couple i know personally know to run like hell when they see me. on acount i DO call them on thier shit. one guy used to run a toy store in the local mall. and he would go hunting early enough to grab new stuff and put it on his shelves that day. 4x the normal price.

now i sell toys myself. not on ebay but i do local shows when i can. but i keep my prices at cheap prices. making just enough profit to warrent doing what i do. example.... i sold a buddy of mine an energon starscream i had, mib, for $12. and said toy goes for at least $20 or more if i am right.i think i paid $10 for it myself. thats how i sell my toys.

as far as "disabled" or "living with parents" well if i didnt move back home my mom might have lost her house and she doesnt work on acount of severe back problems and my sister is a person of "special needs". my own knees are shot as well. dont play sports kids. your knees will hate you later.

alot of us have similar stories i am sure.dont argue over stupid shit.

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I agree on the stickies. We don't agree on many things but that's one that I can stand with you on :p 

Yeah, but I don't think those appear as frequently =) They appear more when there is a release. (aka, Roddy during this time, or last year, Grimlock's.)

20. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I suspect that the OP may have been trolling a bit as in 6 pages he/she has post twice and they are both on the first half of the first page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.