Scalpers.....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by gambit020480, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gambit020480

gambit020480 Banned

Ebay:
    Everyone has been affected by these lower life forms in some form or another in their time involved with this hobby. These slimy bastards hang out in the toy sections of big box stores like pedos just waiting to snag up a highly desired item. Rather than actually getting a job, they spend their free time either sucking off their parents or the social system. This is why they are able to be at a store when it opens to get all the good stuff. They make their biweekly sweeps just in time to return home to catch some daytime tv and log in for yet another day of playing WoW. Please share your most recent run in with these pathetic bastards.

Mine was just a few minutes ago. I went to Target on my lunch hour to snag a few figures from the new Marvel Universe line, and just missed them by mere minutes. I overheard the stocker commenting to another on how the action figure guy was not as pathetic as the hot wheel guy. The guy obviously swooped in and bought them all, except one lone Scarlet Spider out of two cases full. There is a guy who owns an online store here in Anderson who sells on ebay and always has the hard to find stuff....at inflated prices of course. I bet it was that prick....

2. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    you prob find most scalpers have jobs which is why they can buy things in bulk

3. gambit020480

gambit020480 Banned

Ebay:
    No, they just use their disability checks to fund the stuff. they don't have any bills, because their parent(s) play them all. You must understand that the term "disability" has changed meaning over the years. Case in point; I was walking thru Walmart parking lot the other day and there was someone who had parked a moped in the handicapped spot. I thought they had done so just to be a bastard, but sure enough they had a handicapped sticker. Now, what kind of cripple can drive a moped? Not even the obese "cripples" that use the carts at Walmart could drive one of those things....

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Worse than scalpers are thieves. At least scalpers pay for what they take.

5. AutobotMaximal

AutobotMaximal Covert Collector

A-men to that, brutha!

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Honestly - and I know I'm not alone in this sentiment - I'm more pissed off at people that actually buy from scalpers than the scalpers themselves.

7. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    By thieves I assume you mean swappers.

...or stolen factory prototypes. Hmm.

8. Wheeljack94

Wheeljack94 Autobot Lycan

News Credits:
    yeah i hate that. its called being greedy. they take all of the freaking good figures not thinking about kids who might never find that toy of their fav character, or parents who wont be able to buy it for there kids for christmas, or the average collector who HATES waiting for packages or...ect. I really dont like scalpers

ooooo. yeah thats annoying too. a little less annoying but not by much. finding the fig youve been looking for, for 2+ months, in a shreded box or not in its box at all, or SWAPPED. what some people wont do for toys smh -_-

YEEEESSSSSSS. because they keep the damn scalping buisness going. im with you on that!

9. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

^^^ This

10. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You don't seem to realise that being handicapped doesn't mean you can't drive a moped. I park in the handicap spot, yet when I get out of the car, if you look at me, I look perfectly healthy and walk like everyone else. I've gotten a few looks from people who think I'm a person taking advantage. Problem is, like books, you don't know what's in it till you take the time and effort to find out.

11. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:

Not to go off topic here, but if you don't mind going to Walmart....they should be stocking that wave too. I just saw 4 Dr Dooms, 2 Skaars, 2 falcons, 2 dr strange, 2 scarlet spiderman's on the pegs at a local Walmart where I'm at. Saw the same amount at a local Target too a few days ago.

12. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    The ones that really get me are the ones who buy multiples of a hot restock/found inventory etc. and hock it for twice what it is was going for 5 minutes beforehand, ya know, before they "cornered the market". Then they have the balls to come here and gloat about it and attempt to peddle their wares, all the while being blissfully cocky and claiming "I'm not a scalper!"

13. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I personally have no problem with scalpers, market supply/demand dictates all of that.

I would gladly pay a premium for a figure I couldn't find if it meant saving me time and gas. To a point of course.

I have very often found multiples of harder to find stuff, and I have no problem selling extras. More often than not I will grab extras for friends or board members. Does that make me a scalper? You decide, I could care less.

I do get the opportunity to check out stores early and often, so am I living at Mom's and buying toys with my disability check? Don't think so. I in fact own two homes, work for myself and dictate my own schedule.

I don't collect Hot Wheels anymore, but if I see a Hot Wheels car that costs a dollar and I know I can Ebay it for $25 that I can put towards something I want why wouldn't I?

I've found one Windcharger, but honestly if I found another you bet I'd try and leverage that into something I want more, either through trades or sales.

I also have bought like 8 RTS Grapples. I need six for a project, sold the others at a fair premium to offset the cost of the custom they are i8ntended for.

Scalper? Collector? Hoarder? Opportunist? Market savvy? You're call.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  14. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    As a person who likes playing MMOs, the op was slightly offending. I understand the feelings behind it, being a new collector and trying to get some of the older figures. Honestly though, it's supply and demand, the basis of economics. If people are willing to pay the shit loads of cash to get the figure they want. I don't condone the practice at all, don't get me wrong, but there really isn't anything you can do about it. As another note, I don't see a problem with people buying figures and adding a few bucks to make a few bucks and making money for their efforts. Not $20 mark ups, but $5-$10 isn't unreasonable depending on different things. And again, don't try to stereotype people who play MMOs, and live with their parents.

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    That's equally reprehensible, but I am referring to the kind of people who waltz into a convention and steal stuff off of dealer's tables. Someone at AA made off with a box of six Thundershreds and a complete G1 Scourge, utterly detestable behavior.

16. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I still believe that a community of fans willing to work together and help eachother out can beat the scalpers anyday.

Join your local sighting thread on these boards and ask your local guys if they have, seen or can keep an eye out for the toys your looking for. Some might even be willing to pick up and hold them for you, and you don't have to worry about missing them at a store.

It's really the best way to get an idea for what's out in the area without having to drive all over the place.

17. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I think of Scalpers like Weeds.

No one likes them. Some can tolerate them. Some don't care about them. But they are here. Some try to remove them, and it may lessen their amount by a little bit, but they spread like wildfire. You get rid of some, and more comes in their place. People get annoyed by them, complain and talk about them once a while. Most acknowledge that they are not good for the things around them. It is a fact that they live by mooching off others. But people mostly leave them alone because it's a problem that comes up time and time again without any solution that any individual can do themselves.

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I love how the OP painted scalpers as being obese, disabled, unemployed, sans social life, and still living with their parents.

19. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    You don't even need to join a forum to accomplish this (though it does help). Just get together with friends who also collect and make a network. Call each other, look out for each other. Pick stuff up for each other whenever possible or hide that shit, or ask the store to hold it for the other person that will be coming by later in the day. That's what my friends and I do. So effective that way. I don't know how many scalpers I've practically warded off in my immediate area over the past few years. Some of them are starting to creep on back, but they're picking up stuff I couldn't care less about :D 

20. AutobotMaximal

AutobotMaximal Covert Collector

Oh good grief. Don't be so sensitive, Sally. If there weren't those that fit said stereotype, then it wouldn't exist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.