Scalpers hit TFC exgraver?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Zambot, Jun 27, 2011.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I am sure they are making money. But we are not sure how much. No one is unless you have numbers. We can speculate, and as long as we state its speculation and not facts, that's fine.

Although, their cost ISN'T your problem IF you are not buying it. It IS mine, and anyone else considering to getting this set. Understanding their constraints, allows me to judge for myself whether a price is reasonable.

2. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Uhhh as I have stated many times I am buying these even though I think it is a ripoff. I'm part of the problem as to why these are so high in price I am sure. Just saying I'm not delusional enough to think this a fair price for a Transformer when compared to what Hasbro can do at a lower price. People overpay for stuff all the time. If you are satisfied you got it at a fair price then grats but don't try to sell that crap to the fandom.

3. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your statements makes it seem that you do not understand economies of scale at all. In my example the profits are part of the variable costs, there are no profits in the fixed costs. Which means.

Hasbro
    Fixed costs per figure - $3.50
    Variable costs per figure - $20
    Maximum profit per figure - $20
    Maximum profit for 100,000 run - $2,000,000

3rd Party
    Fixed costs per figure - $70
    Variable costs per figure - $20
    Maximum profit per figure - $20
    Maximum profit for 5,000 run - $100,000

4. ian5555

OMG dood seriously enough with economies of scale. I'm talking about worth.

5. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also, before we got further we should probably clarify what we mean by "reasonable price" and "rip-off" as people seem to be using those differently.

6. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It just sounds like you're talking about how you feel about the price and not about anything based on actual cost/worth

7. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I'm fine with the price as I understand it's third party, I just can't justify (to my wife and kids) spending that much to complete it. I have four kids and a wife to support! I have to prioritize what I'm going to spend the big money on and Exgraver was bottom of the list.

8. ian5555

I'm just saying when you look at Hasbro product compared to most of the 3rd party products the quality is pretty close at least IMO.

If we were talking cars this would be like 2 companies that make cars. Ford and Ferrari. Most anyone would say, yeah the Ferrari justifies the price, maybe. I'm just not seeing that here. It's not like the 3rd party stuff is that better quality wise to justify a 5x price over Hasbro's BUT the difference maybe is they are giving the fans what they want? I dunno. Like I said I'm buying it but I still think it is way overpriced.

9. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

News Credits:
    that's really irrelevant as worth is a subjective measure of utility. economies of scale exist the moment anyone makes anything for sale to another party.

10. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Couldn't care less it if was goldplated I'd still won't buy it :D 

11. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Worth is at the eyes of the beholder.

One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

Its fine, if it can't be justified, that's your call =)

12. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    Hopefully as things move forward and TFC gains a larger following, they will be able to produce and sell more, thus cutting down on the per unit price for all of us fans.

Fansproject is beginning to enter this territory with the new causality insecticons. New engineering, larger scale than bruticus add-on bots and all at a somewhat more manageable price point. This is a good trend!

13. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    i dont get how people can call something overpriced when if the price were lower the company would lose money, then fail to make more toys for our enjoyment. you could get the lower price and bankrupt the guys, or pay and enjoy the results.

And for those who are saying its not worth it, go out and try to make your own transformer. consider the time and money you put into it, then look at your overall finished design. for someone outside hasbro, its difficult. Dont think of hasbro as the standard and the 3rd party companies as overpriced, consider the 3rd party companies to be the norm, with hasbro being gods lol. given that someone took their time to design these to make them look GOOD, they ARE worth it.

Plus they're new to this, give them some breathing room.

14. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    I don't think I'd use the term "overpriced". Expensive, certainly. But it is what it is. When they were announced for the $90 - $100 pricetag, everyone could have said "No way" - and when NONE were preordered, they might have said "aw crap" and lowered the price. But that didn't happen and instead a bunch were scooped into preorder baskets, yes?

I mean - WE CAN control the prices if we wanted to. If it's too high, don't buy it. For me? It's not too high and I want it. So I preordered.

15. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    How many decent voyager sized triple Changer have Hasbro released? (I don't agree with the comparsion at all, but if we must play this game...)

By "decent" I mean, all 3 modes are good.

16. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, some people use overpriced and expensive interchangably which causes a lot of confusion.

But heck, a lot people still think transformers are overpriced compared to GI Joes. . .:crazy: 

17. NeedMoreBeer

NeedMoreBeer Well-Known Member

Seems like you're stating they should be making no money on it.

What's a 'fair profit' to you?

18. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

i wouldn't be suprised if they post here too. lol if i were selling something i'd poke around like the threads "can i get a price on this?" "how much can i sell this for?"

looking back now, yeah that price thread doomed us all. lol

next time the thread title should be "how much should maketoys charge for devastator?" time it right before they release a date or a price given that we have multiple references now, it would be awesome. depending on how well TFclub does, which i hope they don't do too well for charging that much. hold out a bit. shake their world for once. or just not responding to threads like would be awesome. then again unity in this community in regards to that...