Scalper Stories

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    I'm sure he (or she) will have those for a long time.....after they don't sell.

2. thedrknss48

thedrknss48 Veteran

News Credits:
    The prices for her on ebay are already starting to drop.

3. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Because selling toys is to much of a Hassle. The post office, Ebay, and Paypal have enough fees that make it ridiculous to sell toys. Plus the stress of moving inventory, and hunting for hot items, some people have way more time and patience on their hands.

In a way I'm more brutal than scalpers, as the toys aren't going back out on the market in any way. And I buy up enough of them to keep local stores dry.

Granted I'm not doing the game of returning "unsold stock", so in that regard I am better for the local retailers than a scalper.

I get excited for a release, and think Just a few more to help preserve it, one more to display in the alternate mode. Maybe they could be soldiers and we should have ten of the same figure on a shelf. Its just such a badass figure.

Target toy department associate: "so your putting those up on ebay?"

Grimwing: "actually their just for me. Its a really good set."

Target Bruticus, toys r us Darkwind, Universe Cyclonus, Universe Stormcloud etc.

I work nights. Forty hours a week. Its difficult, but the passion for Transformers keeps me rolling.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  4. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

i've got a twisted reverse-scalper mentality - if i see something scalpworthy on the shelves i feel compelled to buy it, irrespective of whether i actually want it or not, just because it might get scalped. i take them home, open them and chuck them on the Shelf Of Random Impulse Buys next to ROTF Superion and Downshift.

which essentially makes me more of a cunt than the scalpers themselves if you think about it.

5. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Somebody on Amazon has Scout Class Skystalker for $50. I bought mine at Walmart for $7.44, talk about scalping a Scout figure for $50.

6. OptimusPrimeFour

OptimusPrimeFour Autobot Supreme Comander

Word you 2?, cool

7. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Bleh... at least you all can be sure she'll eventually grace your shelves.

Our record of getting Toys R Us exclusives in Canada is a little spotty. I'm not holding out a lot of hope that she'll appear here.

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't blame the people selling the figures, blame the people buying them. If people stopped throwing hissy fits when they can't find something when it first comes out and show a little bit of self control when it comes to toys, maybe people will stop buying figures up and putting them on ebay if said people are not bumping auctions up to 3-4 times the original retail price.

BTW the last several Arcees on Ebay sold for $20 Canadian, WOW!!!!!

9. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I paid high scalper prices for both my Arcees and it makes no difference to me if they go low now. I may never see it here and even if I do, the premium was worth it for me to get what I want when I wanted it.

Americans forget that a lot of the scalpers end up selling to international markets. If Hasbro would distribute their toys there would be much less demand for scalpers.

At least when I pay double the shelf price to a scalper I know where the value is going. Here TRU sometimes doubles the price because they know an item is an exclusive. That is worse than scalping, the example that comes to mind is the 2007 movie repaint G1 Jaz - it got a 100% mark up in my local TRU to $49.

10. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yes you are right. i remember, that was the same with the simpsons toyrus sets. when the first one sold out the price on the next set went up to 100% to double the price. so i toyrus is the biggest scalper of all.