Scalper Stories

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, Feb 1, 2010.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    So got to work this morning, started my tasks, head over to toys and..we have the new wave of deluxes, about 2 of each figure. Was ecstatic, grabbed myself a Lockdown to hold up at the electronic's boat while I worked to my break, then purchased him. Great figure by the way.

So, after my break I'm pushing out a cart of sporting goods, toys, that kinda stuff, and I see that our recently filled pegs are back to nothing but the same ol' shelf warmers we'd had for the last several weeks, look a bit further down the aisle and, sure enough, guy probably in his mid-late 20's flipping through papers (looked like printed out eBay listings and forum posts) with a cart FULL of the rest of our stock of the wave and other assorted toys, rummaging through the Star Wars stuff, going back and looking over the remaining TF figures, looking at his papers. I was the only non-scalper to even have a chance to see them on the pegs before he cleaned us out.

..and there wasn't a damn thing I could do or say about it, felt sick, like watching some horrible thing happen and just having to sit back and let it.

*sigh* at least I only REALLY wanted Lockdown and was able to get him.

Anyone have a story to share?

2. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    So I was at this store filling up my cart with all the great stuff I was going to make a mint on ebay with and this guy starts looking all mean at me....

:D  just kidding.

We had a Target that had 30+ Ultimate Bumblebees on clearance for $25 a pop and some lady bought them all and then stuck them on craigslist for $80 a peice. Us locals sent her a bunch of emails letting her know that she would never sell them at that price. Freaking idiots.

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Haw haw :p 

I actually did shoot a bit of a nasty look his way a couple of times, lol.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Eh, he won't be laughing so much when they don't sell for being everywhere in a few weeks.

5. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

What I'm always wondering is; who the Hell is buying this stuff from eBay for $5 more than you could just walk into a retail store and pay? I can understand older stuff that isn't in production anymore, but who is so damn eager to buy a Deluxe RoTF Ratchet that they'd over pay just to get it a week sooner than they would be able to in stores?

I just don't understand how people are actually making $ off of the scalping thing.

6. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

Luckily i'm the Remedy for Scalpers in my Area :) 

7. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Do not feed the scalpers! That's my personal motto. Granted I am extremely lucky that most anything I've wanted I've found at retail, given persistence.

8. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Uh, you'd be surprised at how desperate collectors can be.

9. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Apparently so. It just seems like the leg work (all the personal time of running from store to store & prices of gas) would cancel out any real profit. Obviously someone is making some money doing it though.

10. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

That's atrocious as usual (but unfortunately completely within their right as buyers >.>). It is refreshing to see one of these stories that isn't a big "hero throw-down" with the scalper like we saw so many of back in November/December.

As far as my scalper stories the're mostly pretty lame. All of the ones I've actually met have been pretty nice people (most of whom are also legitimate collectors); though I have heard of one really nasty fellow who frequents the Target in my area who will sneak into the backroom with a red shirt on so that he can open boxes directly (he mostly deals in Hotwheels and Star Wars though he has taken a few TFs :mad ).

People who go to the store and can't find it for months after the wave has hit their area because the very same scalpers are taking it out from under them before they get a chance to see it.

Luckily I've learned the pattern of my local scalpers so I've been able to find everything without resorting to the internet
    (plus the internet kinda takes away the "thrill of the hunt" for me).

11. simplygriff

simplygriff ยต - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    That's not a bad idea...[​IMG][​IMG]

Truthfully, that's pretty damn bold right there...
    -G

12. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I've only really been collecting for about a year now, so if stuff is really that tough to come by I guess I just haven't experienced it yet. I had a real tough time finding Leader Jetfire, but eventually I found him. I guess I could see people who live in more rural areas, with less stores around than I have, having this problem... but couldn't you just order from Hasbro.com? I like hunting too, so if Hasbro.com sells out quickly I wouldn't know. If I can't drive to a store that's within my own country and buy it; I'm not getting it.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Yep. $300 for an Animated Blitzwing via eBay auction a few weeks before it started arriving in stores.

14. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    how about the guy in the BST board selling ROTF bruticus for $150? His excuse was "supply and demand... blah, blah, blah... capitalism..."

I understand that scalpers are well within their rights to spend they're money the way they see fit, and to sell what they have for as much as they want.

There is a collectibles shop in serramonte mall that is selling WM SW for $188 (and yes, we are talking US dollars).

In the words of my favorite internet personality "... dick move."

15. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

No kidding?

Damn. Maybe I'll get into scalping.

16. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

People who know their country will never see their favorite tf line (universe has only been present in my country in the last 2 months, and only in small numbers and only ultras and voyagers, no deluxes or legends) or would not want to wait for the next wave to arrive (if it arrives at all, as the last 3 waves of animated figures didn't arrive at all).

I gladly buy figures for 5 bucks extra (3 frekking burgers extra) + shipping, as those same figures cost as much when sold on retail here, and my country usually gets them about 2-3 months later at best. I think it is the same with other members from Europe.

17. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

I'm usually ambivalent towards scalpers as normal collectors can be just as bad at times. But it doesn't mean they don't annoy me sometimes. When ROTF toys first came out, there was this one scalper loading up his cart with the most pristine examples of most of the toys in the store. Luckily, he didn't buy up whole cases of stuff but he did something else that got on my nerves. He started "educating" a novice on how to do it. Made him believe he could get rich if he just held on to the toys for a while and so on. The dude was soaking it all up and the scalper was so... condescending. You'd think he was a grand master. At least to me who actually knows better and has been around the block quite a few times, for quite a few years.

I felt like interjecting or taking the novice aside and giving my two cents but I ended up picking out what I wanted and leaving without saying a word. I'm sure that guy bought some stuff with the thought of making some money but he'll more than likely be disappointed in a few years just like all the other speculators who collect for all the wrong reasons.

Another example came just this past Saturday. I luckily came in at the right time and found some Star Wars figures I had been looking for. A scalper I'd seen before came in right after me and started buying up EVERYTHING. The entire case of figures that were left. I had a figure of which there wasn't another one on the pegs but the paint apps were terrible. I ended up changing my mind about it and walked back to the aisle to put it back. The guy was still there with his stack of figures. I considered leaving it in another aisle so he didn't get it and maybe, god forbid, a kid would have a chance at it but I decided to do something different. I offered it to him. I knew he needed it. He was bewildered and thanked me. Now, next time I see him and he happens to have something I want, he will be reminded that he owes me. ;) 

18. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    Man at TRU, this one dude just started raking crap of the shelves. The LEGO was
    devastated. Anything that was Star Wars or Indiana Jones he bought. The Transformers
    were left with some sucky Animated figures and a few Sideways

19. jimmynguyen41

jimmynguyen41 aka Special Agent JiMMeRz

News Credits:
    me too!

20. jimmynguyen41

jimmynguyen41 aka Special Agent JiMMeRz

News Credits:
    Ive seen worst i have few scalper stories, ask anyone in the washington sighting forums....about me....

Im a collector and i need my share of plastic crack here and there, but luckly for me im able to get 99% of all the toys i need at the stores before scalpers hit them. Its pretty sick, I pretty much know every scalper in my area plus their ebay name - and know their hunting habits.

the fact of the matter to beat them is be smarter and more resourceful then they are. I can be mistaken for a scalper because i usually clear a shelf or peg for HTF stuff for my friends on the boards.

most of the hard scalpers are the ones that do diecast, mcfarlane and wwe collectors. it makes me sick to see these even sell for his asking price.

Scalpers usual rule of thumb is to buy something and at least make $5 or more on it raping us on shipping and not to spend more than the usual $50-$100 because if it doesnt sell, they return it.

Scalpers in my area will buy a bunch of stuff load their carts with new items and spend $500 at the checkout....and if doesnt sell they return it within 14 days.

so heres a story:

theres this asian girl who never saw me in her part of town at her store that she frequents, and asked if i was new and what i was looking for and if i had extra to give her, this is in relations to DCUC. I knew about her through my friends so i came down to see for myself....she ask do you have these figures and i said yeah...and i ask her what you with them, she says i display them. I said oh yeah i know at the local comic shop for 3x the price right? lol....later she try to attack my friend in a TRUs for figures...long story short she got banned from TRU's.

so yeah i must be bored because i been stalking my local scalpers lol