"Scalper" finger pointing

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by NotFastEnuff, Apr 27, 2008.

1. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I'm going to post this here, because Botcon starts these threads every year. One of these was started at the Tank a few weeks ago, too.

Stop standing on a soapbox and pointing a finger and yelling scalper. You are doing nothing to help this hobby. You are pissing off other board members and making our hobby look like a bunch of children crying about not getting the toy they wanted. This is not directed at any one member, but all those that start threads and hijack peoples B/S/T threads crying about "teh scalper took my toy and wants to make a profit!!!11!1!". Get over it. Hasbro makes more every day. It's unbecoming of a collector, and does nothing for the fandom, except make it look bad as a whole. As for the dealer room at Botcon, Yes, the prices are always high. Do something most web junkies can't do, TALK TO THEM. Most dealers will haggle. I've almost never met a dealer that wouldn't haggle. I didn't pay what anything was marked for anything I bought at the 'con this year. (with the exception of the club store)

I say this, if you hijack a B/S/T thread, you should be reported for spam. If you start a whiny ass thread about "teh evil scalporz took my toyz", you should be reported. Just my opinion, but I'm sure the staff will chime in on this too. If you don't find what you want, KEEP LOOKING. That's the name of the game. I don't buy new toys from dealers, I buy them at retail.

A note on Animated. I've seen a LOT of whining about dealers "scalping" animated. Guess what, within 15 of leaving the convention, I found them all at retail. It wasn't hard. 2 stores. See front page.

IF YOU LOOK, YOU WILL FIND THEM. It may take more than one try, but they will eventually be there.

Oh yeah, quit whining.

2. siekone

siekone TeletranX

News Credits:
    are you not the same person who bitched about a thread like this being started then you start one?

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Dear OP,

It's equally as whiny to bitch about people bitching. You aren't any better.

Now, if anybody has a problem with a scalper, simply kill them, take their overpriced wares, and disperse them to the fandom for a fair price. Problem solved.

4. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    I'll admit you have a point but this thread won't make a difference. People are still going to yell scalper,thief, etc....b/c they charge a more for a toy then retail. It's a good try but it'll end up being a waste of your time to type all that just as i'm sure it'll be a waste of my time to type this.

5. unicronhq

unicronhq Banned

News Credits:
    Tonite On Geraldo:

Scalpers Vs. The Pissed Off Fandom Of Rf Land:

Who Will Live????
    Who Will Die????

6. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    No, friend, I believe you are missing the point. I'm bitching about people bitching because they expect people to give up their gas, time, and money for free. They expect dealers to lose money. They expect the world to fall in their lap. I'm not bitching about dealers or individuals charging too much. If I don't like a price, I politely move on.

7. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    eh, Siekone is only complaining about those who clean out a retail store and in turn sell them for double or triple retail at the convention booths. Does he want the dealers to lose money? No. But he doesn't want them to clean out the stores either. If these dealers are afraid to lose money, then don't buy a dealer booth in order to sell ridiculously priced animated figures that they bought in stores. That way, they WON'T lose money and guys like siekone can buy toys at retail price from retailers. If people want to make money then buy the stuff direct from Hasbro at wholesale prices and sell them for retail (or slightly above retail).

8. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    There were a lot of people at BC that were selling them at cost or slightly above. No one was forced to buy from the dealers. In fact, I'm still hunting for a Prowl since I refused to pay $35 for a $10 toy.

If no one buys them from the dealers, come June the dealers are stuck with product that won't move, meaning they'll lose money in the long run. The problem is that not everyone is patient enough to do this.

I would say everyone should quit their bitching, but then the boards would disappear and then what would I do for a laugh?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008