Scalped! An interview with the enemy.

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by NGW, Jan 11, 2010.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
  2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

you know, I'm just a collector and not a scalper, but I have never seen the full-on hate people have for scalpers/resellers/whatever. I agree with the points made by the men interviewed in that article--they are BUSINESSMEN in a market driven by capitalism. doing something that is perfectly legal and the only thing that makes it profitable is impatient collectors that are willing to pay inflated prices on ebay. just my two cents.

3. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't condone scalping, but yeah, if people would stop feeding them they would go away.

4. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    Interesting read. I can't say how much of the scalping they actually represent, but I can see some similarities with how I collect. I used to get up early to hit the stores and could usually get what I want. Do that 2 or three times a week and I am set. I occasionally see some of the rarer items and would pick them up, but after a while it seemed pointless since I don't scalp or don't do variants and I no longer keep figures MOSC.

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

"Jealous" is really not what anti-scalpers are. That would imply they are also out for profit, when really all the want is the figure in question. It's a shame they couldn't find more business minded guys out there rather than, well, dicks :lol 

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, whoever they interviewed come off as complete pricks.

7. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

That Biff guy seemed unnecessarily angry, calling people jealous and ignorant. Even going so far as to say army-builders are worse people then scalpers, which really isn't true since army-builders aren't taking advantage of people for money. The ironic part is that the people he complains about are the ones most likely to buy from him. Smart collectors know you can find just about any toy for retail price in time, it's impatient people who usually have to have it "right now" that pay those marked up scalper prices. But ya gotta love how he acts like he's doing something difficult and special by running his ebay store.

Moe actually seems to understand what he's doing isn't exactly anything good and kinda selfish. It's almost as if he doesn't even like those hardcore scalpers who make it into a full time job (like Biff).

My dislike of scalping isn't about someone else buying something I was looking for, it's about people who buy something that people are looking for with the sole intention of re-selling it at an astronomical mark-up. If a guy goes out and buys 10 of a certain toy to make his army or whatever, then more power to him, he's buying a toy for the exact reason you buy a toy. To play with and enjoy. But if a guy goes out and clears the pegs, only to list everything he bought on his online store for 10 times what he paid for it, well then screw you buddy, I'll just wait to find it myself. Scalpers don't do me any favors by "sharing" what they bought, because if you were really so interested in sharing, you wouldn't have picked it up in the first place.

But sadly, as long as people buy things at those ridiculous prices, scalpers will keep selling em as such.

8. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I never really minded scalpers, until now. Those two guys really came off as assholes.

9. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Wrong.

10. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

You're all just JEALOUS!

I love that guy.

I honestly don't see what the problem is with scalping - I don't do it myself, but as long as silly people are willing to go on Ebay and pay 50 dollars for a 10 dollar figure it will always happen. Collectors grumble and whine about scalpers, and yet will happily go on ebay and pay 3x its retail value and encourage the behavior. Ugh.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Biff and Moe are totally the perfect names for a buddy cop movie.

It seems like he really has no idea what we, as "honest" collectors take issue with when it comes to scalping, and ends up looking like a fool and ignorant himself.

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'm disappointed. I was expecting an interview with actual scalpers, and not two pissed off collectors that occasionally make some money on the secondary market by buying extras of hot toys when they see them. Most of us do this anyways, but clearly this guys are all butthurt over hate for the real scalpers.

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ditto. A lot of us on here have bought an extra here and there like Moe apparently does, but I wouldn't honestly consider anyone doing that a scalper. Hell, even this Moe guy seems to not really care for the more hardcore scalpers.

On the other hand, guys like Biff just come of as generally ignorant. He obviously has no clue what collectors with an issue of scalping (personally I've never really given a crap... I'll find what I want eventually... and these guys are just taking advantage of our Capitalist economy... it's just how it is... move somewhere else if you don't like it...) are really upset about.

Shame that they couldn't get some real scalpers whom do it as a full time business to interview. I'd really like to read their thoughts.

14. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Biff claims he's a full time Scalper though, he says his "job" is running his ebay store with 10,000 items. When he refers to "waking up to go to work" he means he's hittin the toys stores looking for scalpable items. He doesn't have a 9-5 job, because he lives off scalping. He's a scalper who has no intention of collecting, he runs his store and anything he buys goes right up on ebay for 10 times as much as he paid.

The other guy just buys toys he knows sell well to resell them occasionally. Other then repacking the Vipers, he doesn't really seem like a douche or anything. He's a collector who occasionally scalps to help fund his collection. If you could turn a $5 investment into a $50 payout, wouldn't you?

15. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

You're right about Biff being a full-time scalper, I must admit that I just glanced at that last rant. Though he is a collector too, as he admit as much at the beginning. That Biff....he's an onion.

16. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interesting read, I like how they brought in 2 different people to get 2 different perspectives on the matter.

17. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    :lolol 

18. akum6n

akum6n Bootleg

There is nothing that justifies scalping, whether you do it casually or as a full-time "job." You are a leech. A human leech.

Moe is justifying his actions. If you like to do all that work with the receipts and reward points to make a few bucks, that's cool. Some people will drive around for 30 mins. to find cheap gas.

Biff is an idiot. Seriously- he called Hasbro to buy a million dollars of product each year? What did he think they were going to do? Offer him all the rare toys at the times and in the quantities he desires? I mean, my God. It sounds like a joke when I read it.

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    what a pair of douches and scalpers wonder why we hate them so much

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

The lack of responses in this thread shows just how much the fandom at large doesn't actually give a shit about the issue and will continue to put food on scalpers table because I guess paying out the ass is better than a little patience :lol