Scale?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Aug 14, 2011.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

If Cybertron is a planet of large cars and trucks, that can live in a large city the size of Texas. And lets say two of those large cities fit on Fortress Maximus, and if we want to guesstimate. Seven Fort Max = Half of Cybertron.

How big is Unicron in scale with Earth?
    http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/5/59/BlackHorizon2-Unicron.jpg

Should he be bigger?

2. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Depends which media you go by I think. But since Unicron first appeared in the '86 movie, and was shown to stand on Cybertron (which in the tv show was shown to be considerably smaller than the Earth) I'd say he's actually smaller than people generally assume.

3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Just to point out, Cybertron doesn't have to be this GINORMOUS planet. Earth has been home to creatures just as large as Transformers just fine.

So Cybertron and Unicron are Earth sized.

4. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

I'd like to believe Tf was NEVER about scale.

Anyway, if it was doomed to be so, Fortress Maximus wouldn't have been that behemoth in size. Texas is rather large anyway IMHO

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The 'city-bots' like Metroplex, Trypticon, Scorponok and Fortress Maximus, in my opinion, are only battle station or outpost-sized as opposed to actual city-sized. Think of Fort Max being like an aircraft carrier and his crew or passengers being the planes.

6. OptimusTimelord

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Watching the '86 movie you do get a pretty good idea of scale; from Galvatron standing on Unicron as he transforms, and being held between his thumb and forefinger before being eaten; to Grimlock landing a kick on the chaos bringer's arse; and the Autobot cars escaping through Unicron's eyes near the end. That's not even including season 3 of the tv show, where Starscream steals Unicron's eyes from a disembodied head that appears to be no bigger than your average building.

7. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

If any given body was to be "planet" sized you would never see actual features of Unicron for sake of discussion with any single transformer in screen, nor would you ever see any given transformers in shot of a full view of said entity.

Scale.. quite a thing to deal with if you desire consistency.

8. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

didnt starscream steal metroplex's eyes and give them to Unicron? Its been a while since I watched it, but I dont remember SS stealing the eyes from Unicron.

9. OptimusTimelord

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Whoops! Yeah you're totally right, Unicron needed new eyes and sent SS to get them... Been a while since I watched it as well... :redface2: 

10. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

In the 86 movie his planet mode and Cybertron are both roughly the size of our moon. Lithone and Cybertron's moons are smaller. The Junk planet is kind of big but considering its shape is like a small asteroid. I'm surprised nobody posted the scale chart yet.

His robot mode was portrayed as much smaller. But that's to be expected in a movie about fighting robots; they're not going to portray the scale of a planetbot correctly. Galvatron wouldn't even show up as a spec between Unicron's fingers. Unicron wouldn't fit on-screen.

So either his robot mode compacted/shrank during transformation, or it's just artistic license. I'd go with the latter. Well, both actually. :lol 

11. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Technically speaking a G1 Unicron type planetbot probably should have vast hollow areas, hence saving great amounts of mass, especially since he relies on interstellar travel to feed. The apparent surface profile of Unicron could be greatly reduced upon transformation using this design logic as it gives you a multitude of options for reconfiguration of the surface area. Since we don't see obvious spherical areas on his robot mode (that I remember off hand) it is not limited to any given configuration

One would of course apply the opposite logic to BW Neo Unicron and who clearly is a solid robot in a planet shell, not knowing the fiction behind that design makes it harder to postulate a functional theory however. Also Unicron trilogy Unicron and Primus who have obvious chunks of planet hanging off various limbs the transformation logic is pretty well indisputable.

The same hollow area logic can be applied to the citybots and Broadside, though with Broadside it is significantly complicated by his third mode and the sheer change in scale upon the transformations.
    Sadly the hollow area really doesn't go very to help Blaster, Soundwave or Megatron either.

12. OptimusPrimeFour

OptimusPrimeFour Autobot Supreme Comander

THIS.

13. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime IDW2019 Stan

News Credits:
    Gravity is determined by the mass of an object. Since transformers have not been weakened by earth's gravity and humans given super jumping power on Cybertron, I always like to think of the two as roughly the same size.