Scale of Battle Ops Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by WhiteMocha, Dec 10, 2010.

1. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Those with Battle Ops Bumblebee, about what scale would you say he is in vehicle mode? I'm referring to the scale system used for model vehicles. Alternators are 1:24, would you say Bumblebee is about 1:18? Or is he bigger than that? 1:15? No standardized scale?

Thanks everyone!

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I own him, but I'm not sure. He's way bigger than an Alternator. 1:18 may be about right.

3. WhiteMocha

Thanks Wollstone! Yeah, looking just at his chest plates and extrapolating them out to car size, he seemed far bigger than an Alt. (plus, HA Bumblebee is more or less Alternator-scale, and he is a much smaller figure).

Anyone know for sure?

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I think 1:18 is a pretty good guess. I don't have the figure, but I think a pretty good way to assume it's scale would be to check out 1:18 RC cars at TRU or something. I know they do have RC Camaros out there.

5. Jimmy Drift

Jimmy Drift Well-Known Member

Yeah, 1:18 is a pretty solid estimation.

6. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I don't have Battle Ops BB but a 2010 Camaro is 190 inches overall. Measure BB in carmode from tip to tip and divide 190 by that number to get an accurate scale. Off hand I'd tend to agree he's +/- 1:18 scale.

7. WhiteMocha

Cool, thanks guys! That's good to hear, I was hoping he'd be about 1:18. Much appreciated!

8. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Don't go by 1/18 scale RC cars at TRU. A lot of toy-cars are poorly mis-scaled, or the number is an exaggeration.
    Without having BB my self, but seeing him in the store, I estimate he is larger than 1/18.
    Only way to know is to either find a high-quality die-cast model of same car, or do some measurements and mathematics. Sheeeeesh, what am I saying? I hate math! LOL!
    Seriously, I think it's bigger than 1/18.

If you take a true-to-scale plastic model kit of a sports car, for example 1/24 being a common scale. Then take a said 1/24 scale die-cast model found at a toy-store of same car, you'll notice that the die-cast car is typically larger than the plastic model kit.

9. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's just shy on 9.5 inches- so to keep it simple I'm going with 9.5.

Using your math and 190 inches I end up with 1:20 scale. Close enough to 1:18 that he'll look just fine near a true 1:18 model.

BTW, the Costco gold version is so much nicer than the regular Hasbro one. If you don't have him yet, do yourself a favor and skip the hasbro wide release.

Takara's is looking pretty promising as well. My big question there is will we ever get a more accurate BB toy that Takara bothers to paint?

10. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    he's VERY close in size to 1:18 scale roadbots corvette. now I'm not sure about a corvette's scale to a camaro's but I'm assuming the figure to car ratio between the two is likely identical. should be 1:18.

11. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yeah, he seems about 1:18 in scale. Large enough to work with that one Indy 4 figure of Shia's character, if you happen to have that.

12. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I've got a bunch of NASCAR 1:18 cars,and he's the same size as them.

13. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Same size yes. But same size does not necessarily mean same in scale.

14. WhiteMocha

Thanks everyone! This is very helpful. He doesn't need to be exact, as long as he more or less fits in visually with approximately 1:18 scale vehicles.

The reason I ask is that lately I've been doing sort of a little sub-collection of "Hollywood cars," iconic vehicles that have been featured on screen. So I've got some of the expected ones: the DeLorean, Ecto-1, a few Batmobiles, KARR (KITT is forthcoming), Speed Racer, etc. They're all 1:18 scale except for Ecto-1, who at 1:21 is still close enough to sit alongside them without looking out of place. I'd really like to have some Transformers representation in there. I considered just getting a die-cast 1:18 yellow Camaro, but it seems wrong to have a non-transforming, unofficial one in there. I would rather have an actual transformable version mixed in there, just staying in vehicle mode, really staying true to the "robots in disguise" idea. Sounds like Battle Ops Bumblebee is close enough to fit the bill.

Thanks everyone! Great info!