Scale Issue in Classic Figures - Not really an issue

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I just thought of something. While everyone is complaining about scale in classics figures, I am thinkin they are all to scale no matter what size class you have for your character.

So here is my thinking. As we all know, the G1 cartoon was horrible in keeping scale. So your different sized figures are based on the episode your watching.

That huge white powerglide. He was in one of the eps. They didn't color him in, and he was much bigger then Starscream.

That Legends size megatron? Well depending on the episode you watch, he is either really large next to humans or barely twice their size.

So don't think of it as not scale accurate. Think of it as a special one off for that particular episode that you cannot recall.

Hell if all of you are shelling all this money on KO Gold Optimus, why can't this be a realistic thought?

2. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because powerglide and seaspray look like they could team up and take down megatron

3. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They could have done that in the cartoon. Optimus just wasn't using his resources correctly.

4. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I have no issues with the scales. Sure I would love Basic/Scout class to be the minimum size for this series but whatever, I take whatever plastic crack is thrown at me lol.

The way I go around the size is that some bots wanted a change during the great reformat. I personally love the idea of some of the minibots becoming some of the largest bots in the line. It also makes sense with Powerglide and Seaspray due to the Alt mode. Now I wouldn't want to see any of the "car" minibots go past a deluxe but someone like Warpath would had made a perfect Voyager or Ultra class figure (I will be more than happy with that deluxe version).

To the OP...love your rationalizing because your theory is without flaws. lol

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I've no qualms with scale. I mean, I think a deluxe Powerglide would've been neat for the 2.0 line, but I look at size as being more in relation with what would make for a good toy as opposed to what is more befitting of a character. I think Onslaught works better "as a toy" in a bigger size class than, say, a deluxe or voyager. It's more imposing as an ultra and works a lot better with the lights and sounds gimmick. I also think the Classics Grimlock mold works better in its current size as opposed to being upscaled.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I don't really care TOO much about scale either. I do wish Windcharger was a deluxe but if that's the worst thing to happen to me I'm living a happy life.

Seapray and Powerglide being bigger than Scouts makes me VERY happy. Especially Powerglide which is MORE in scale as an Utra that it would have been as a deluxe or scout. Having a plane classified as a 'Minibot' would be every bit as retarded now as it was back in 1985.

7. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
  8. nemisispringer

News Credits:
    Right but we will just ignore all those tiny cars next to those bigger cars, that massive handgun and those tiny jets and tanks.......

scale is not incorporated into the transformers line in vehicle mode and you are just lying to yourself if you think it is bot mode however has been consistantly scaled apropriatley apart from those two characters

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Apparently you didn't even TRY to comprehend my post. I wasn't complaining at all. I don't gve a shit about the scale, merely stating my opinion on it which seems to be a crime these days.

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Yea, I don't see why he reacted the way he did.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Powerglide soulda been huge in the first place.

My only real complaint is that almost all jet deluxes like the seekers or Thunderwing are dwarfed by Car Autobots.

Also the only other thing i'd wish was WFC Megatron being a Voyager other than that Classics has done a good job of scale so far.

12. nemisispringer

News Credits:
    I got your post exactlly but your point about the jet mode being more in scale and that it makes more sense for powerglide not to be a minibot makes little sense when compared to the alt mode of other figures the fact is vehicle modes are almost always out of scale where as bot modes generally arent except in the case of seaspray and powerglide

13. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    If Hasbro couldn't do the whole in scale thing correctly, what makes us think that we can get to the bottom of this.

I find it funny though that they never messed up on the scale of the humans.

14. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

I do think some molds would work better in different size classes(i.e. universe galvatron),
    but aesthetically I don't care about size. All I care about is how good the toy is as a whole.
    I've never really understood the whole scale issue. It really seems like nitpicking to me.
    Just enjoy your damn toys!

15. sideswipe89

sideswipe89 Beachcomber

News Credits:
    I kinda just focus on the scale of the bot modes(as they were in the show).I'm okay with a larger seaspray and powerglide. I just don't want bumblebee to be larger than optimus or rumble being larger than soundwave. As for the alt modes... Vehicle scale is always gonna be out of whack, its hard when there are so many different vehicles being used as altmodes

16. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

If I like the toy I'm going to buy it regardless, but I think scale "issues" can add a little fun to collecting.. unless you just buy everything that they make.

17. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dunno...Since I'm a classics collector who displays my bots in bot mode I like for 'em to be about the same scale as they were in the cartoon, I know, I know - they had major issues with scale in the cartoon, but you got the gist of how big they were, most of them being a bit shorter than Optimus Prime/Megatron with exceptions like Jetfire who was a big bot, and should maybe have been made 1 size bigger in the classics line for me to be truely happy with him.

Generally speaking thats one of the things I like the most with the CHUG line, that the bot mode is somewhat to scale.

When it comes to collecting bw, or g1 or any other line I couldn't care less...but with CHUG its one of the things that makes 'em CHUG :-S

I dunno...I for one am glad they made a deluxe Jazz even though they had made a tiny little legends one. Gave me hope that they will do the same thing for the handfull of bots who aren't to scale (Jetfire, Galvatron, Seaspray & Powerglide...am I missing any on that list?)

18. sideswipe89

sideswipe89 Beachcomber

News Credits:
    ^
    I completely agree!

19. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

The seekers should have been voyagers.

In the opening sequence of G1 season 1, Skywarp throws Jazz... Jazz transforms to car and back and comes at Skywarp again. This worked because Skywarp was taller than Jazz.

I'd like to see Henkei Skywarp try that now with big thuggish RTS Jazz!

20. ZacharyBinx

ZacharyBinx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Scale's never really bugged me. And I like Classics Powerglide.