Saying goodbye to a fuzzy friend.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Night Flame, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

[​IMG]

Sixteen, almost seventeen years ago mom brought home a fuzzy little kitten.

Through the years she's done a lot of things. She's been to Colorado, Iowa, Minnesota, Wyoming, Montana, and several other places via car or RV. She's been a hell of a mouser, even without claws. She once licked all the caramel off of a caramel apple, dragging the apple all the way down two flights of stairs to hide it from the humans. She rocked out metal style every time I'd fire up my guitar.

She lived with mom when my parents divorced a few years back. When mom remarried, Missy came to live with my wife and I and our other furry creatures. At the time, two cats, two dogs. She was old then, especially for a Persian. Twelve or more. She pretty much hung out in our back rooms and only came out about twice a month or so to visit everybody. Preferring everyone come back into those rooms to visit her when they could. And we did. A few times a day.

She loved kids. Scared the crap out of my baby cousin way back when by jumping into the crib to cuddle with her in the middle of the night. Our niece is now hugely fond of her. One of her favorite pets of ours. The old lady is so calm most of the time that she's the only one who holds still for our niece when she's over, so she can just pet her for hours and Missy would purr for her every time.

Just a few weeks ago there was still some life left in her. She'd crawl out of her bed and up on the chair in front of me when I'd break out the guitar. Some fond reliving of yesterday for both of us I suppose. The amp is a lot smaller these days, but she still sat as close to it as she could and watched me play. No longer "rockin out," but still seemingly enjoying it.

She got her name via King Diamond's "Them" and "Conspiracy" albums. My mom loved the idea of calling her Missy right from the start. I didn't clue her in where it came from until years later. By then, she thought it was hilarious. Especially when thinking of how Missy enjoyed the music that named her.

There were two new additions to the house a couple weeks back. Kittens. One of them convinced her to come out of her shell a bit, and come spend time with the rest of the family out in the living room. She had about a week of that when something went wrong. We don't know when, or how, but something screwed up. Considering the vet told us the previous oldest Persian he'd even known was twelve years old, she was well past her expected life-span. Near as we can figure, she had a stroke in the night when no one was around her. She couldn't move so good anymore. She was very wobbly when she could get up at all, even just lifting her head. She messed herself and couldn't get out of it. She couldn't drink when we held a very shallow bowl of water right in front of her, even though it was obvious she wanted to drink. She was suffering, and as much as we loved her and wanted her around, we knew her time was up.

We took her to the emergency pet hospital since it was Sunday. The doctor on call examined her and said she had suffered some neurological dammage of some kind, as she had no response in her legs to any stimuli. Her temperature didn't even register on the thermometer she was so cold. In short, her body was shutting down, and she had no more fight.

We held her one last time and told her what was up and she purred for us, softly. And then, it was over. We talked of the good times, and wished her well on her way, wherever that is. And we came home to a house full of mourning pets.

So why did I write this? This is as close as I've got to a group of online friends at the moment. I interact more with you folks than anyone else. And there's no better way to say goodbye that telling all of you about her, the good, and the not so good.

If you want to memorialize her for any reason, those few who met her, and the many who never did, don't do it with tears and heartache. Do it as I will, with loud power chords, throbbing drums, and screaming guitars. It's the way she would have wanted it. Rocking her way out, the same way she lived.

Missy - 1991 to 2007

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    aww :( 

i got a cat thats growing old too, shes at moms, hope shes okay.

its like that scene in 'with honors' and joe pesci ran away into the field and brendan fraser went after him.

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I was going to make a "I didn't read the post" joke about the Fuzzy World and how I was glad to say goodbye to it.

But the damn picture got to the soft side of me.

Sorry to hear about it bud. We lost a cat we had for almost 17 years a while back, and it was tough on the family.

4. Night Flame

Thanks guys.

And yeah, the shocker to me is how tough the other animals are taking it. They didn't interact with her a lot, but everybody seems to know she's gone. Especially the younger dog, who ran in to check on her about five times every day and would kiss her head every time.

My wife took it a lot harder than I thought she would too. She even said she was surprised at how hard it was for her to face, as she's only really known Missy about half as long as I have, and didn't spend a whole lot of time with her.

5. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Sounds like she had a great life and had a great family. And you guys did do the right thing. It's better to put them down instead of letting them suffer. As a vet student/future vet, this is the hardest part of our job. And I know how it is to lose not a pet but more like a family member.

6. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    What a long life she has. RIP.

7. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Damn. She was, and forever will be, a beautiful cat. My cat, a tabby mix of some sort, was born in my backyard (literally) about 12 years ago now or more. She's still going strong as ever and lives up to her name Prissy.

I feel for your loss. My family lost our Rat Terrier Mowgli last year to a rattlesnake bit on August 31st last year. His death hit my Mom HARD as he was killed right after I was just barely coming out of my funky health issues and he was there for all of us. I remember many times last year just laying on the couch, hurting like hell, just hanging my hand down and rubbing through his bristly fur. He was such a good dog.

Some people don't, and won't, understand the loss of a family pet. A family pet is a family member that is dependent on you, and loves you unconditionally.

8. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can tell you really loved her and reading your memories and all is very endearing, just hold on to those and cherish them and she'll never be fully gone. I honestly know how hard it is having to let go of a pet, I've sadly lost many, and I send you my deepest condolences. They really are more than pets, they're friends, they're family. I'm glad to see you're one of the people that obviously realizes this.

Again, I'm very sorry, but like I said, just cherish her memory. She had a great life and you helped that quite a lot.

9. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

I couldn't help but get misty eyed reading that ;.;.... I'm sorry for what happened, but I'm glad she lived as long as she did. I'll be playing some Aerosmith and Van Halen in her memory later today. Thank you for telling us her story, and we know you love her dearly- even if she's no longer with you in physical form.

Last September, my family lost our dog Sammy/"Sam", he was almost 15 years old, he too was born in 91. He also had a stroke just like Missy, and had to be put down, I held him in my lap as he went on to the otherworld, wherever that may be. He was my Grandmother's dog, she got him some time in 92, and then her, my dad, brother, and I all moved in together in '02. To help her out, and Sammy came along. But all those 15 some odd years, he was one of my best friends.
    [​IMG]
    Just thought I'd share his story too.

Edit:
    I totally agree. They never judge you, are mean to you, do anything malicious to you, they're little angels in fuzzy form.

10. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i was sad when my cats died. they were my little buddies. mine were 18 when they died, its a helluva long time to live with someone, longer than most marriages these days.

11. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    :( 

Sad story at a bad time. One of our dogs is at the vet with bladder stones. He needed emergency surgery over the weekend, and hopefully he'll be coming home today.

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    it helps that pets dont talk back to you.

13. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

and they don't object to stuff going in "that hole".

i just grossed myself out.

14. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

That was a beautiful story. I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

15. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I'm sorry to hear. We lost a cat too, he was 15-16 years old. Coyotes got him.

16. Night Flame

Some do. Missy did sometimes. But that just made her more fun to be around. Nothing quite as funny as a ten pound ball of fur telling you you suck.

Today I'm spending some time going over the funny stuff she did. Like standing on our chests and staring us right in the eye to wake us up. And if you locked her out of the room she'd shove an arm under the door, stick her nose under it, and meow louder than she any right to be able to as small as she was. And the time we had a party and she walked around the house trying to find remnants of cake on plates that some guests left on the floor without thinking. And the little cart with a handle over the top of it that she played on as a kitty.

hotspot - I wondered about how difficult that would be as a doctor. Can't be fun to know you've got to end the life of a pet that's been a great family friend for a good number of years. The vet at the emergency room over the weekend was excellent. She knew exactly how to handle it and make us and Missy feel at ease. Still, I know that couldn't have been much easier for her than it was for us.

aksmth - sorry to hear about your pup. We had a pup that had a lot of rough patches when she was little and it's never fun having to leave them for a surgery. Hopefully everything comes out well there.

17. oddobot

oddobot carpe diem all diem long

Ebay:
    That sucks man. When I was younger I had a German Shepherd/Collie mix. Damn was that dog ever faithful to me, and no one BUT me. I was out playing near a highway one evening, Lord help him that dog always followed me EVERYWHERE, and he tried coming across the road to me, and some F***stain in a firebird came out of nowhere and just obliterated him. Then the jerk had the audacity to look at me like "yeah I got him!" I gave him the bird and ran to the other side of the road to check on him. By the time I flagged down someone I knew and got him to the vet for observation I was crushed. They kept him overnight and when my bro and I went back in to check on him, the vet told us we had 2 choices. Option one was to have about $500 worth of pins and rods put into his badly damaged hips and back legs, and let him live the rest of life in misery, or have him put to sleep.After begging dad to let him at least live somewhat, we decided that it would be better to have him put to sleep. I cried for days and still tear up when I think about it. Cause just seeing the way he lit up when my bro and I walked into the office that morning, seeing him failing to wag his tail cause he was in so much pain, that killed me.

I know what you're going through man, I hate it for you. I know all about what losing a friend can do to you.

18. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Sounds like Missy lived a great life.

My first dog passed away on Valentine's day, so I have an excuse to be bitter on said day.

19. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My sincerest condolences. I know how it feels, I lost one of my dear pet rats last month and it still hurts like hell.

20. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Take comfort, Night Flame. Missy is with the Flying Spaghetti Monster now, rockin' her socks off. I'll blast some rockin' tunes today - I know the FSM will channel 'em along.

I hate to say it (who wouldn't?) but KA is right. Pets > human mates.

As for euthanasia...one of the things that drives my mother (a BSN) crazy is that our society has the good sense to practice euthanasia with our beloved pets (or other animals) when they're suffering, but we won't do the same thing for humans.