Saying goodbye can be tough...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mechafire, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hey folks, just wanted to get this grief off my chest, since I feel I am about to go insane by keeping it in.

About a month ago, Pickles, my pet tabby cat, who I had pretty much grown up with (parents got him a few days after I was born) was diagnosed with diabetus. We were told that he would be fine by giving him the correct treatment, medication and such. He's been pretty much fine the whole summer, that is until about a week ago. I came home to him in pretty bad shape.

Took him to the vet yesterday. Said the diabetus had led to kidney failure. We would have either had to pretty much been with him the whole day and monitor him constantly, give him to a "pet hospital", or put him down. At first we chose giving him to the hospital, but I discovered today that it had become so bad, he had to be put down. It happened so abruptly, I didn't even get to say goodbye, since the decision was made at the vet and I wasn't present there since didn't think it would be this bad. But it may have been for the best, since the vet implied kidney failure can lead to severe discomfort in cats.

Needless to say, I feel like I've been hit by a train. However, even typing this out has made me feel a bit better.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm still in shock, and I really had to get it off my chest.

Goodbye, Pickles. We'll never forget you.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

:( 

Sorry to hear about that, Mechafire. It's really hard when you lose a pet that you've had for so long, even more so if you couldn't be there during the pet's final moments.

3. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    That's awful. :(  But at least he's no longer in pain.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    my condolences to you Mechafire losing a beloved pet is always hard but pickles is in a better place now and free from pain and with as much Catnip as the lil critter could desire

5. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    My condolences to you Mechafire,it sure does hurt to have a friend go away without a proper goodbye.

6. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    I see your cat, and raise you my father.

All joking aside, shit sucks. Sorry, man. :( 

7. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I've been through that with my dog Patches, I know exactly how you feel-- it's tough. I'll keep you in my prayers.

8. maharg83

maharg83 new and improved reissue

i feel your pain bud, lost my cat 6 months ago to what i believe was some form of cancer...the pain goes but the good memories always live on

9. Mark94

Mark94 Well-Known Member

I had to put my childhood cat down about 2 years ago. Be thankful you weren't there...

My cat started having seizures (most likely due to a brain tumor). Awful to watch her seizure. Vet put her on medication to control her seizures but it turned her into a zombie and eventually didn't stop the seizures so we had no choice to put her down.

My wife couldn't handle the thought of being there so I had to go by myself. Vet agreed there was no helping her and it was for the best. She asked if I wanted to be present and I thought I could handle it and that I should be there for her. They basically induce a heart attack with a shot and the heart shuts down. The vet warned me that it would be quick and that I would know when she took her last breath. It did happen quick and overall looked painless but her last breath haunts me today. It was so loud when she exhailed the final time that I just started crying and the vet gave me time alone with her to say goodbye. I said my goodbyes and composed myself and had to go to the counter to pay for the service but I was still tearing. I just swiped my card and ran out the door. As soon as I got outside I completely lost it but the receptionist ran out the door because I didn't sign the receipt so I had to compose myself once again.

One of the most difficult things I had to do in my 33 years of life and I'm tearing up right now even though it is 2 years later.

Moral of the story, be thankful you didn't witness it, it probably would have made it worse for you. Things get better to with time. I didn't think we would get another pet after that but we now have two more which helps heal.

Mark

10. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    My condolences, friend.

11. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    First off, Pickles, is an awesome name. Second, I'm sorry to hear about him moving on. He's in a better place now.

12. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Sorry to hear that man. Last week we had to put down or cockerspaniel. He had skin cancer that had spread to his organs. :( 

13. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved kitty cat, Mechafire. I know it must be hard to even write about the loss, but if it helps,write as much as you need to. One thing I've noticed there are lots of cat lovers on the TFW boards so we can help share the pain of your loss. As for not be able to say goodbye, don't worry about that-- the best way to honor his life is by sharing the memories of good times and days gone by.

14. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Sorry to hear, man. Hope your cat makes it to cat heaven.

15. jackets

jackets Gamer/Anime fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :(  sorry to hear mechafire but now he is no longer in pain and he is a better place now

16. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Remember, and this it true of many pets, you and your family gave that animal the best life it could likely have had.

That is the most and the best thing that we can we can do for them.

- Coeloptera

17. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    sorry to hear that, it hurt so much when my pet dog had to be put to sleep by the vet. :( 

18. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Sorry about Pickles

:'(

19. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear about that man :( 

My condolences, and know that Pickles is in a better place now.

20. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Been there, done that. It's really hard losing a pet, so I understand what you're going through :(  .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.