Saw the movie for the 2nd time

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Superion33, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Before I begin, can I please request that people STOP using the :horse:  icon or griping about having heard/read this already. Please do not gripe about others points of view. If you have nothing constructive to add to this thread besides not liking it, I humbly ask you to start your own thread about how you don't like my thread. Or, even better, just don't read my thread and move on.

With that out of the way, I finally decided to see the TF movie for a 2nd time. I saw one of the fan trailers for TF2 and couldn't help but get pumped up. So I decided to revisit the movie and get reacquainted with it.

It wasn't as bad as I remembered it first of all. Thats not saying much, since I previously abhored it, but it went from the worst movie ever to just a bad movie. The action scenes were nice eye candy obviously (Starscream's aerial acrobatics demolishing the human jets was the only original action scene), but the story was the thing that dragged down the movie.

Different plot groups:
    I still think that there were way too many "cooks in the kitchen" so to speak. Hackers and army guys and sector 7 and family members and government types were just too much. I think if they had kept the hackers out of the movie altogether it would be better. And the family did not really need to accompany Sam all the way to Hoover Dam. The writers could have ended their roles much earlier. I think most people did realize that the hackers were quite unnecessary and hope the writers keep to a minimum number of plot groups. I think Sector 7 was also quite useless. They could have neatly wrapped them up into the government group. In fact, I think the government could have taken over the entire role of Sector 7 and things would have been streamlined much much better. I know that Sector 7 IS a part of the US government, but I wish they were just treated like a regular group like the NSA instead of this weird, almost cultish Sector 7 and their "original 7" - which added ZERO to the movie. While I strongly agree that the army group was a vital story element, I didn't really know what the point to showing a random soldier's wife and baby. It was uber cheesy - the kind of cheese you see 24 hour cable news shows try to exploit. And the random "middle eastern" kid was unnecessary as well. The soldiers could have found that settlement by dumb luck after wandering in the desert for a while.

Shaky Cam/Simplified Design:
    Ah, shaky cam, how we love thee. The shaky cam wasn't as noticeable this time around tho it was still bad. I distinctly remember getting a headache from trying to make out the action scenes when I was in the theatre. Some of that was probably due to only being able to get a seat too close to the screen and having to crane my neck up to see the screen.

However, even on a home TV, most of it was just a mass of jumbled metal. I could make out the individual characters and what they were trying to do, but I still could not make out individual body parts. I hope that ILM has somehow refined it or simplified the designs somehow so that there is less "jumble" showing.

I am hoping that most of this is going to only be for the first movie. The producers have more money this time around so hopefully shaky cam isn't used to make up for the lack of CGI quality (at least that was its supposed purpose in the first movie). Also, I hope now that the CGI guys are doing this for the 2nd time, that they simplify the designs. I read somewhere that Ironhide's gun has something like 10,000 parts. Honestly, the only time I remembered seeing his gun was when he almost shot Sam's dog for urinating on him. And even then, having his gun have 10,000 parts didn't add anything to the scene. He could have held a simple laser pistol to the dog and the effect would have been the same. I hope they don't see the need to get so complicated with the designs for the 2nd movie.

MacGuffins/Lazy Writing
    I still think using the whole "ancient grandpa's eyeglasses" as a plot device was silly. For some reason, TFs seems to want to be Indiana Jones sometimes. Now with the "Return of the Mummy feel" to the 2nd one, I am afraid that it might try to be like Indiana Jones again. Some of the plot was just plain nonsensical. Esp the part where Optimus loses Sam and Mikaela to Sector 7 for the 2nd time. The best way to have handled that would have been for the Autobots to just have had Sector 7 take Sam and his family directly to Hoover Dam. There really was no point in the TFs confronting Sector 7 other than to have Bumblebee pee on the Sector 7 dude. Before Sam rejoined Optimus, the only real purpose for Bumblebee was to have him shrink the cube. Another way would have been to have Frenzy shrink and try to steal the cube and get shot down or somehow contained by the humans. Then the humans could go to the TFs willingly and ask them for their help in stopping Megatron.

Voices
    Optimus I thought had the best voice in the movie. Jazz I wanted to forget as soon as possible. Ratchet I thought was alright. I really didn't like Ironhide and honestly wished he had some bravado to his voice rather than the dull bass all the robots seemed to have. No cackles or shrills or monotone. No tenor, alto - just all bass. It was quite dull as far as voices go. If actor-voiced cartoons show anything - its that expressive voices totally MAKE a character. I hope they go with a wider vocal range this time.

Characterization
    I think most everyone is in agreement in this department.

In summary, I would not want to watch TF again. Its story is completely forgetable. The action scenes will soon be forgettable too when newer fancier effects come out. My biggest desire with the 2nd movie is a good, solid plot with crafty schemes and maybe even a surprising twist of events. Here's to hoping that the 2nd movie has a good plot and good characterization.

Oh, and death to Shaky Cam!

2. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    in during:deadhorse: 

nah, but i really don't see why you're "reviewing" the first one again now. we get it, you don't like the majority of it. but here's the thing dorothy: the world will keep on turning no matter how much you dislike it. there were too many crossing plots(we could have done without the hackers, but they were there to appeal to a different demographic) and the whole glasses thing was a bit of a stretch, but a lot of people did like the movie. just think how much worse it could have been if some idiot like McG or Brett Ratner or Stephen Somers was in on it. it holds up well as a summer blockbuster because bay did the right things to make it that way.

3. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Hey, thanks Toto! See, here is the thing Toto, people have a right to express their opinion whenever they want. As much to gush "omg, sideswipe pic is teh roxors, me is happyz!" as to write what they didn't like. The world obviously goes on. What kinda value content is there in an observation like that? I was simply expressing my views which many people seem to do all the time.

You can disagree with what I said, you can agree with it. But to say that "the world will go on" after reading my post is really a pointless statement. I am not trying to start some kind of activist boycott of the movie. Just simply stating my opinion. Like I said, if your point is just to state that this thread shouldn't exist, then make your own thread for that...

This has nothing to sway people one way or the other. Just my opinion. I am not saying people should like the movie or not. Its fine that people did or didn't like the movie. The point was I was just expressing my opinion. Thanks for your oh so insightful post.

4. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    is this gonna be yet another case of "i will repeat my opinions over and over until it is accepted as truth"?
    because, you know, you've already expressed your opinions princess, and it doesn't really call for a new thread for you to do it again

5. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Please stop derailing this thread. Thank you.

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How is that derailing the thread? It is a legit reply. You can't call every post that disagrees with you "derailing the thread".

I love the movie. Even with its faults.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

:horse: 

Sorry I just had to since you said not to.

I agree though that they had way too many plot groups going on that really didn't make for a good story and at times for me it just made the film drag on and on. On the bright side though it's one of the easiest things they could fix in the second film. Just go with a central story instead of attempting to have all these different plots come together.

With any luck the writers also had a critical ear for people saying the story felt lazy. I like nods to other films, the wink to another film and all that. Just felt like too many nods and too many winks in the first films so at times it was more like one of those parody films. Once again something that could be fixed in the second film.

The first film is really a lost cause for me, but I think there is still a chance they could come up with a much better second film. Well except for the parts where the director is involved because he never listens to anyone and he never changes.

8. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

He can disagree with me. You can love the movie. All good.

He was just saying how my stating my opinion was pointless. As if I somehow expected to change the movie. But people "hope for" and want improvements all the time in other threads and no one bashes them for expressing their opinions.

Its one thing to disagree with someone. Its another to state that their opinion isn't worth stating...

9. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:

...Oh hell, why not? :horse: 

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Anyway, you do make one good point. The Transformers themselves don't have much screen time, nor enough characterization. However, this movie was meant to introduce the Transformers arriving on Earth, so you shouldn't expect MUCH characterization, except that we get the bare basics of the two factions. IMO, it's good enough for me. I'm sure Michael Bay will put a lot more characterization on the Transformers in Revenge of the Fallen. I only hope that Bay has learned from the mistakes he made when making the movie (the sex jokes MUST DIE).

10. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Its only human nature to do what you're told not to. All good.

I think we mostly agree on the movie, but I dunno about all these "nods to other movies". I guess its just a case of how much you do it. Its one thing to give a short nod, and another thing to borrow a whole plot device. By copying other movie's plot devices, TFs became an amalgam of other movies, like those parody movies yout alk about. It lost what it was about and became something else entirely.

Thats a main reason why I am somewhat wary of the 2nd one. The entire Egyptian thing is done to death. Its almost a sign of lazy writing again. To not be able to come up with a completely original idea and instead to just ape pre-existing ideas.

11. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    :horse: 

I can see some of your points, and there are definitely things I will agree with, particularly that the bots really did need some more characterization (espescially the Decepticons), however I can't see how you ever could consider this to be the worst film of all time, or even amongst the worst films of all time. Sure it's not without its flaws, but it was a solid, fun action flick.

When we have tripe in theaters like Disaster/Epic/Date/Reference Movie, you cannot claim that a well put together, entertaining, and overall pretty decent film to be the worst ever. It's just not correct.

12. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    I am sorry but all of your points of view have been expressed numerous times since the movie released. You are beating a dead horse with a stick, there is no escaping it.

Does that invalidate your opinion? Absolutely not, but just remember that we have heard everything you have said numerous times already.

Thank you

13. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

The main reason why I think it was so bad was probably because I like TFs so much. I have been following them since I was 7, so it was a big let down to have something I like so much be made into a bad movie. You're right, its not the worst movie of all time looked at it objectively. But subjectively, with a personal perspective, its pretty bad.

14. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    i thought the part about the voices was new-though i thought they were decent-i dont think that people would be all that impresed with robots with high-pitched voices on the first movie. it would be fine in sequels, though wouldnt be good for the movie, IMHO

:horse: :deadhorse: 

15. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    You say that as if Optimus and the gang already knew that the All Spark was at Hoover, when in fact they didn't find that out until later scenes. You also say that as if they already knew S7's intentions when they just showed up without warning and just took Sam.

This is "lazy writing" too. You would have complained about this if this was what made it into the movie instead.

What did you expect? To hear Chris Latta/Tom Kenny's voice come out of Starscream? The movie strives for realism. Having ANYTHING higher than a tenor pitch coming out of ANY robot ~13 feet or above, or having too many vocal variations like "cackles" or "shrills" for said robots would relegate it to cartoon-quality.

16. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    I felt that the movie was perfect. I saw it three times in the theater, and even blew the money on the HD-DVD version before it hit blu-ray.

Big bots "o" plenty? Delivered
    Action? Delivered
    Cheese? D-Liv-ERD
    Funny? Delivered
    Starscream failing Megs once again? Uh yeah
    Things that go boom? Delivered

17. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

18. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Why? Have you spoken to an alien robot from another planet before to hear what their voice sounds like? Lets not pick and choose when we want to suspend realism and when not to. If people can believe in 4 feet tall robots transforming into cell phones, then why not different voices for the robots? As if bigger always means a deeper voice. Please say hi to Mike Tyson for me.

19. CYBERBUBBLES

CYBERBUBBLES Fallen

:horse: :deadhorse:  did this realy need to be a new thread :deadhorse: :horse: 

20. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Do you really see Optimus just leaving Sam to the mercy of the S7 dogs instead of at least attempting a rescue? You'd have complained if OP left him hanging.

And I can't help but not take Mike seriously when I listen to him.

BTW, when Frenzy tf-ed into that cell phone, he was only a head. Bad example on your part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.