Saw Star Trek 2009 Last Night....

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tampalicious, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I rolled a 14, but taking those rolling penalties its only worth a 4, no charisma bonus.

:( 

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    In regards to the new movie, how is Sarek going to cope with his next Pon Farr without Amanda? Won't he die, if he doesn't mate every 7 years?

YES THESE ARE THE THINGS I THINK ABOUT 8 PM ON A FRIDAY NIGHT, OK?

EDIT: Hey Ops, forget the gag reel. This sh*t is funny. I get uncomfortable and embarrassed just watching it! That dude is creepy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  3. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Note that he has a human wife when he appears in next gen episodes. And it ain't Spock's momma. He'll just get a new human women with which to get freaky.

Also there was an episode of Voyager where Tuvok used a hologram of his wife during his Pon-farr. It's also where they establish that the older a Vulcan gets the stronger the mating gets.

4. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ah, see I haven't watched any series besides TOS. Thanks for the info! :D 

5. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the fact TNGs equivalent to kirk dealing with spocks pon farr madness was picard dealing with data developing a sense of humor :lol 

6. lars573

And I hate TOS, so we're even.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    You should catch up on TNG. Some of the episodes in Season 1 & 2 are a bit '80's dated, but once they find their pace around late season 2 / early season 3, it becomes fantastic - and I mean ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL, well-written, intelligent and enjoyable - television.

8. lars573

And after that they become 90's dated. :lol  Some of TNG even after the crap first season and slightly better second season really haven't aged well.

9. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

[QUdwnny

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Oh absolutely. In my opinion, from season 3 through 7, the show gets GREAT. There are definitely some duds in there, like lars said, but the majority of the show becomes both series and serial, with certain elements carrying over from one episode to the next.

The important thing to remember about TNG was that they tried to make it with the "episode of the week" stance in mind - even if people hadn't caught a previous episode, they could jump right in. This became a bit more difficult later on - and especially became difficult after "The Best of Both Worlds" - but they tried, and God bless 'em for that, because it makes casual trekking relatively easy.

If you want a serial, watch DS9. From about mid-season-2 onwards, DS9 is a HEAVY serial that focuses in the development and evolution of the dominion war against the Federation.

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love and respect TNG because as a kid, i was exposed to moral issues and debate (euthanasia, drug addiction, treatment of the elderly, genetic engineering, what constitutes humanity...) and it was never contrite. if a curious 7th, 8th grader like myself when the show began could understand the conflicts without there being too much of a bias, then that's great.

it didn't hype those issues, but blended them seamlessly into the episode. totally unlike Network TV would do (like on "L.A. Law" each week.)

simply put, After TNG got past the awkward debut, it became mostly great viewing.

There are one or two episodes of TOS that were great to me, but for the most part, it was as one person called it back in the day, "...'Wagon Train' in Space."

12. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

dwet.....

13. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Picard seems like a boring priss to me. But I haven't watched much of TNG. Does he ever do like "BAMF"? Or does he just bark orders from the bridge and sip tea? I mean like I want to see him kick some behind. Does it ever get to that?

14. lars573

There are only about 5 episodes where Picard actually gets his hands dirty. And it was usually by accident. He was intentionally crafted to be the polar opposite of Kirk's action man trope after all. He was best dishing out verbal beat downs that made Klingon warlords wee themselfs. While using his acutal moral high ground to get things done. And if someones face needed punching he had his right arm, Riker. And his hound, Worf for that.

If you want Captains more in the mold of Kirk you want Sisko or Archer. Sisko acutally put his hands on Q and threatened to pound his face (for all the good it would do). Rocked Jem'Hadar faces with their own Katar's. And Xanatos suckered the Romulan empire into a war with the Dominion. Archer put shaped charges on the back of a alien lizard man's armour and lit it off. Jumped through a time portal and punched a green guy in the face. Went bare knuckled fisticuffs against a Gorn and managed to not die long enough for his red shirts to vaporize it (although that was evil mirror mirror Archer, but it totally counts).

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Picard is the fucking man. All that needs to be said on that subject, really.

16. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Archer was from "Enterprise" right? I saw a few episodes of that, I really liked that show but couldn't stand the Vulcan girl. But Archer did seem cool. Thanks!

17. lars573

Yeah Archer is the Captain from Enterprise. He's also the one whom Scotty might be speaking of in the line about "Admiral Archer's prized Beagle" from the '09 movie. As through the whole series Archer had a pet Beagle named Porthos, and alludes that Porthos wasn't the first and won't be the last. And like much of the rest of the characters T'Pol gets better as the series progresses. I don't want to spoil too much, but Spock wasn't the first child produced from a human vulcan pairing. He was just the first known one to live a full life. They both appear on enterprise, and they are both T'Pol's.

18. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    ILD, Lars hit it pretty nail-on-the-head with describing Picard. But, see, in my opinion, that's the best part of the show - Patrick Stewart does such an excellent job with the character that watching this captain use verbal eloquence to save the day can be really, at times, astonishing. In my opinion, this is a good portion of what makes TNG "good TV" - the writers and the actors both really had to flex their chops to make it plausible that Jean-Luc Picard is talking a mysterious alien space being out of beating up the Enterprise.

19. lars573

Or giving Q exactly what he wants to save their bacon from the Borg.

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Oh GAWD yes. The Picard vs. Q episodes were both hilarious and well-acted on both sides. DeLancie is just as good at hamming it up as Stewart is at playing a fumed Picard.