Saving stuff to open for RotF induced drought!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by juise, Mar 22, 2009.

1. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since I don't care for the movie designs and Animated and Classics will be going away for a while (at least I hope Classics come back, be nice if animated did too but that's not likely). I've been saving stuff to open later. Anyone else considering doing this?

I know one thing, if I can't manage to get my Atlernity Prime (which I plan on opening as soon as I touch it) tomorrow, I'm going to end up opening something I'm trying to save.

Heres what I have "saved" so far.
    [​IMG]

2. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Saving stuff to open? Nah.

With the break, I'll be buying up some Henkei figures, working on customs, and possibly go back and buy up the HoC's I missed.

3. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The idea of waiting a year, which is probably how long ROTF will last, to open any of those toys seams like a waste.

4. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well the plan is to do 1 or 2 a month since the only thing new I'll be able to get is Alternity, and the last few Henkei, and Animated figures as they come out.

5. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I understand, I'm just the type who literally opens them in the parking lot, so your willpower astounds me. I like to take advantage of lulls, Like the one were in right now, to find older figures that were not that important to me at the time but i liked. For example: I finally got luck and found the the sam's club repaint of armada starscream for less then retail. So I guess in a way I do save things for later I just do it differently

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    LOL, I can relate to that to a degree.

With the unconfirmed news about Animated being pulled off the shelves to make room for movie toys and with the possible ending of Animated alltogether, I've really gotten a bug about finishing off the line; I've been buying them the last two weeks like they were going out of style. Usually I get a few figures here or there that I really like and pass on the rest, sometimes resulting in my having a lot of figures from a line (I got all the Energon Decepticons and about a half dozen Autobots), and sometimes having barely any (I didn't buy a single Armada Autobot and less then a dozen Decepticons). Right now I've got most of the Animated toys (in fact, this is about the closest I've ever come to getting all the figures; Rid/Car Robots I've got a nearly complete collection of as well.)

However, I've been opening them as I get them to make sure they're good quality (I had to return the first Samurai Prowl I got; the bar that connects the helmet to the backpack was backwards, which meant you couldn't attach the helmet on his head. I also returned Ratbat because his shoulder pins were defective, but the second one was perfect) and to enjoy them now, with the idea that so many great figures will negate the fact that I probably will only be buying 3 or so figures for the remainder of the year. Some of the figures I've put in a special box, so that when I get bored with the current Animated figures that are out, or when I want to change the display, I've got some other figures to choose from. I'm also working on trying to get a set of figures that are all in scale with each other from the cartoon, so that's been a bit fun and challenging at the same time. I didn't really realize until now just how badly bitten I've been by the Animated bug; my display in the living room for years have been a mix of series, but for the last few months it's been totally Animated, but that's sliding off topic.

Anyway, yes, I can understand the idea of "stocking up" for a long period of time where there won't be a single desirable TF on the shelves.

7. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    i have a pile of stuff that i have ordered/bought lately...not putting it aside for later...just have not gotten to it since there are not enough hours in the day....

got powerglide...henkei cyclonus...shadowblade megs...nuclear lugnut...sky lynx(encore) ...encore megs...reissue predaking...

like i said...not enough time on the planet to get all this stuff opened and then arranged into shelves....

plus this makes it necessary to get more stuff sold and out the door :) 

8. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

when i have a break form transformers i keep collecting, just not transformers. for a brief while i was into zoids.

9. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only real reason I still have a pile of stuff to open was my office was in total disorray for a few months waiting for some replacement windows to be installed. Plus real life (i.e. the girlfriend, work, etc) gets in the way. Basically it boiled down to play with toys or play with girlfriend :ev: 

As for the movie toys, I can understand your dislike of the designs, but if you're just sitting there day after day hearing about other fans opening all their ROTF toys, I think you're gonna burst and all your stuff will be opened in one mad dash. That is unless you have a nice real life distraction.

10. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    It'sa good idea. I have not opened universe dinobot,universe cheator, animated blur or aniamted swindle. I packed them away in my storage area for the drought :)  The only problem I see you having is that it is not enough, try to get one toy for each week that the blight is upon us.

11. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I never save for a drought. I just get other toys I don't have. Still have plenty of BW,BM,E,A to get!!

12. Lucario Prime

Lucario Prime is a Lucario Prime is...

News Credits:
    During the terrible ROTF season, I'll be focusing on collecting the couple of Pokemon card sets I have very little of. (I still collect now, but this summer, I'm going nuts). I also currently have all the Japanese PokeDolls, I collect them, too. They come out in sets of two or three every few months.

Also, I'll be getting into Henkei and Classics Universe 2.0 more. I don't know why I didn't get them earlier. I bought four Universe figures this week and they are all so awesome!

Uh, also I will be focusing (if I haven't by then) on getting every single Animated figure (Activators, Deluxe, Voyager and Leader). Even repaints.

13. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

I will probably just content myself to pick up the few loose ends from my 84-91 collection..

14. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fun, but I don't have the patience.

15. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    I am one whom is highly looking foward to the movie line, but is highly dissapointed for the end of animated. I am going crazy about getting all of the ones I still want, and have considered "saving them". I am looking foward to the movie, but there arent a lot of toys from the movie line I am crazy about. The thing is, I am too exited about finding a toy I have been looking for for a while to wait to open it up.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I just don't have the will power. Like some other people have said I'm lucky just to make it home with the stuff unopened.

There are a few things from the GI Joe movie line to add to my Joe collection and I've just started a collection of the Marvel 4" figures so I'm just going to use those two lines to get me by until the post movie toy lines come out.

Might use the time out to put in that extra shelf I've been needing because the Cybertron, Classics, Universe, and sprinkling of Animated has already taken up all my good Transformers display space.

17. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I have a pile like twice that size. But I'm not really "saving" it I just can't find the time to open that much stuff.

Full Time Job is murdering my transformer playtime.

Always hunting something at the junkion exchange as well. G1 is my companion to the rough waters of a toy drought.

18. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Soundmaster: no you aren't the only one that is looking forward to the movie line. I can't wait for it!!! But I am sad to see animated go away... I didn't think I was going to like the line, but I bought prowl and lockdown the first round, and I just.. I was wowed and fell in love with it. Now on topic, I couldn't, no... wouldn't do it, unless I don't have the funds obviously. There's a lot of other things I can snag with out having the drought problem. I loved G1 as a kid, and I have a long way to go with it, so if there's a point that I don't like a line, ill start trying to find pieces that I've wanted but never really found the necessity to look for at the time. And there are a lot I haven't found time to look for so I don't think I'd ever have a collecting drought.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm looking forward to the movie and it's toys quite a bit, actually. So everything I get will have to be opened before the new toys hit, or I'll just have a bunch of boxed toys lying around.

I also have like four Henkei figs I want, several Animated figures (and some ones that haven't even seen prototypes that we know are still coming) and TRU Dreadwing if he comes here. Then there's other stuff like Encore.

20. Nightwing24

Nightwing24 00 Agent

News Credits:
    I dunno I can never keep stuff in boxes once I buy it. Maybe one day but with ROTF comming I doubt I'll be able to keep cool :lol