Customs: saving old paint

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by dsn1014, Feb 28, 2009.

1. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

I was in the attic today and I found my old wargame toolbox, the top deck was full of games workshop paints, half are old formula paint and the bottles they're in are fine, but the others have dried out I think, they have turned to a 'goop' in the pot, is there anything that can be done? add water or shake it as is? though they could be past saving. I think they're acrylic, but can't tell as its not written on the bottle.

2. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

its a 50/50 shot if you can save them i think all GW paints are acrylic but unsure. anyways if they are acrylic add a little water at a time(1-3 drops at a time) and stir until they are the thickness you want. i prefer stirring over shaking because you mix the entire paint that way. if they are enamel do the same except with paint thinner instead of water. i have some bottles of enamel that are 20 yrs old so i know you can save them sometimes it just depends on how much exposer they had to air when they were being used

3. dsn1014

well they came out of the toolbox when I was using them and then back in when done, they've lived in the cool attic for the past couple of years, found them yesterday while sorting through some stuff at my parents. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try water first and see how I get on with it. Thanks.

4. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

ah the reason i say "it just depends on how much exposer they had to air when they were being used" is because i use mine right out of the bottle some people remove a little paint at a time to avoid air exposer. so if you use your paints like me out of the bottle the chances are less in your favor for salvaging them.

5. dsn1014

that would put me in the less likely camp so, oh well, I'll have a go after uni tomorrow, thanks again

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

This has happened to me recently. Enamels tend to hold up better than acrylics when they're not in use for long periods of time. I would try stirring them (shaking them won't do much, if anything) and diluting them with a little bit of water as Anovasinn already pointed out.