Saving boxes

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AutoBobby, Sep 13, 2010.

1. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    The boxes are worth it becuz when selling its also help with the prices....I keep them all no matter what....

2. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

If the toy cost me more than about $50 I usually keep the box.

3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I have a MIB/MISB/MOC/MOSC collection so I keep any and all packaging...including the twisty ties and those little clear elastic bands!

4. Rodimus_Prime

Rodimus_Prime Until all are one!

News Credits:
    Keep the box, I keep most of my TF collections MISB and a lot of it AFA grade...

5. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    ANY collectible, not just toys, is more valuable if the original packaging is with it, sometimes doubling the value.

Personally, I don't keep most of the current packages because once they're opened, they're pretty useless for later use. So I keep inserts, cardbacks, and twist ties (they're GREAT for garden and around the house use!). Exceptions are 99% of my remaining G1's, Masterpiece Starscream, the few reissues, Animated Voyagers, and Japanese stuff.

--Moony

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I keep all of my g1 and japanese/third party boxes, but just the card backs or whatever has the bio on it for everything else. unfortunately, that still means I have a LOT of boxes!

7. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've kept some boxes because I think they look cool (Mighty Muggs, original Classics & Special Edition), others because they were expensive (typically Takara stuff such as Masterpieces, Hybrid Style, Japanese Beast Wars, G1 Sky Garry, any reissues) and others because it's an exclusive (Galaxy Force Sound Blaster & Dark Nitro Convoy, Tokyo Toy Show Elite Guard Prowl & Dreadwing/Smokescreen, any of the older boxed Botcon toys).

Lately I've been reconsidering keeping any of the boxes I do keep because 1. They take up a lot of room, 2. I honestly don't expect to use them as transport material, and 3. I also don't expect to sell any of my stuff unless absolutely forced to, and I've already junked so many other boxes that keeping what I have so far would help increase the value but only so much so I've already forfeited some of the value of maintaining a Mint in Box toy/lot anyways. I'd like to move sometime within the next year, and I'd feel strange putting a bunch of Transformer boxes into bigger boxes to transport to a new place, just so they can take up room there too, undisplayed and empty as they are right now.

8. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

I keep mostly Takara boxes (not blister though) as they are "rarer" to me, and most often quite pretty! Any modern American toys are common enough to not keep the boxes, I keep only the card back for deluxes, and cut the back of the box for lager figures.

Even with that I have a crap load of boxes that take space. Only thing I'm glad I kept are my Alternators boxes since I just put them back in wih the though of selling them, they might be usefull if I do :) 

9. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I do keep quite a few boxes, mainly Beast Wars Neo, Encore and Car Robot. I used to have a shitload of Galaxy Force boxes (they are so pretty!) but chucked the most of them some time ago. I still have 2 cardboard cartons full of empty boxes.

There are some others I keep with the figures inside, so yeah I've got a lot of boxes. Actually until I joined here I didn't think of keeping any packaging (I even threw out a TFC box once) ....what have you guys done to me :lol 

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As far as full boxes, the only ones I keep are the ones for figures that are somewhat fragile and might need support during moving (MPs, FansProject stuff), rare/valuable exclusives (TFCC Piranacon) and more valuable stuff that I might end up selling someday (TFCC P/CP).

I used to clip out the card art/bios/profiles, keep those and the instructions/paperwork and then throw out the rest of the box. I started running out of space for the various bits of paperwork, and realized I never ever looked at them, so I scanned all the ones I could into my computer and threw out the paper copies. The only things I kept were box parts and instructions that were too large or difficult to scan, actual cards (like the ones that came with the Energon figures), the 'booklets' that came with the TFC reissues and particularly valuable instructions (G1 instructions, ones that came with rare exclusives, etc). However, I'm heavily leaning towards changing my system. Partially because I had a hard drive crash, losing some of my scanned instructions/box segments and partially because I realized I never look at any of the things anyway. Hasbro has some instructions on their site as PDFs, so I'll probably start just downloading those instead of scanning the paper booklets. I'm also probably going to just throw out many of the larger box segments that I've been keeping and never looking at or using for anything. The only paperwork I intend to keep are valuable instructions/booklets, the actual trading cards and possibly the TFC reissue booklets; since I can't read Japanese, I'm really not getting much out of them, but they look nice.

11. DragimusPrime

DragimusPrime Ex Prime

My closet is full of boxes.

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I keep the cards for Deluxes and Scouts, they're easy enough to keep pretty condenced in a box. I've also kept quite a few Japanese boxes, especially the Masterpiece Boxes. The Voyager, Ultra and Leader class boxes I throw away.

13. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Twitter:
    I keep the Re-Issue TRU Boxes everything else gets chunked [my attic is already full of star wars vehicle boxes] I also keep the boxes for the larger TFs like Unicron and the Masterpiece Figures.

14. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

About 1/4 of the underside of my bed is filled with both Transformers and Bionicle boxes.

15. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    I haven't thrown away my boxes or card backs of the past 100 or 150 for the new stuff,
    but as far as storing them I always tear the boxes down flat and stick them under my bed.
    And it saves a load of space that way,then if I decide to sell some I will put the box back
    together if the buyer wants it.So thats my story.

16. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I save all my Starscream boxes/cards, and some of the plastic, depending on the particular toy. I save some part of just about all my toy packaging - most of the time it's the entire card, or the parts of the box I like the best.

17. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i used to save the boxes but they just got to taking up WAY too much room

so now i throw 'em out/recycle them

i only keep the ones for special figures like Masterpiece or Japanese guys

18. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

my closet is full of boxes that i just keep cramming in. every time i stare inside, i shake my head in disbelief. i'm considering taking all the boxes and just flatten them and toss the innards. i keep thinking to myself i might sell some stuff hence why i keep whole boxes but honestly i don't think i will. ill prob just keep the older boxes like g1, reissues, and fansproject stuff.

19. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I keep the card back with the Specs. and Bios. and anything from FP in case of emergency selling.

20. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    unless i am forced to buy loose, i only buy MISB (well, anything AFTER G1) and i save boxes/card backs/manuals. i have thrown out plastic inserts in larger boxes to make room for storing the smaller boxes and card backs.

i have been lucky so far and able to store them in a hall closet and a storage area in my laundry room.

but if i buy reissue Fort Max and a few other things, i may have to start the Rubbermaid storage in the garage...