Save Internet Radio!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Omega Supreme-1, May 15, 2007.

1. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    http://www.savenetradio.org/index.html
    I won't go into the political side of this, but please go here. Read on this and please take action if you love listening to streaming radio on the internet. If the mods have a problem with this please send me a PM?

2. honestgabe

honestgabe I

I made a post about this when the house first voted on this and no one cared.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I never knew it was danger...:eek:  I usually keep up with this type of stuff

4. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Removed

5. honestgabe

honestgabe I

Theres a big difference between what youtube offer as opposed to what KCRW's or WXPN's online streams. There is already a pretty fair set fee for streaming copyrighted music that these stations already pay. With the RIAA attempting to increase the rate by 10 cents its going to hurt the artist. WXPN for example currently runs 3 distinct online streams, one that airs the terrestrial station online, the other is the Xponential Music stream which plays similar artist that would interest those that listen to the terrestrial station, and Y-Rock stream which caters to the indie/hipster music scene. It would be impossible to run online stations. And who's going to hurt? The artist. Most of these online stations do not play top 40 commercial music. If the RIAA has its way the one outlet that artist like Arcade Fire, Wilco, Kate Bush, Steve Earle, Of Montreal etc. have, will be gone, limiting their exposure.

6. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Removed

7. honestgabe

honestgabe I

Probably not. You're stations are probably going to be untouched.

8. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Well, there is a slight difference. Internet radio stations are already paying royalties, for the most part. YouTube, however, does not pay anything in terms of royalties.

9. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe it also comes down to whether or not said radio station is non-profit and/or making sales via their practice.

I DJ for a CoH-based station, and we've been watching this news for a bit. Pretty much, we're not likely to be targetted. Our listener count tends to be 20-150, only occasionally breaking 200. We also cover the server costs ourselves, and don't do any kind of donation or sales practice to stay up.

Stations like us are very likely going to be 'off their radar', especially with other multi-MMO stations around that sell products and etc.

10. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Removed

11. honestgabe

honestgabe I

Dude, theres a difference between all that. Did you even read anything on that website? Did you read news articles on the situation? Whats happening isn't going to affect a bunch of otakus and nerds running a fan service.

12. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes I did read the articles, and I understand what's going on. Yes it doesn't SPECIFICALLY target my interests. However, I listen to a certain radio service provider, that is free if you have an account with them. If any of their stations go down, ALL of their services will be going down. I'm not an otaku, and excuse me for being encultured. For starters otaku is really really derogitory term, do you even know the origin of that dirty word? The first otaku was a child molester, and it's a label in Japan. It's a word used to look down upon people who had similar interests to one particular nutcase. It would be like me calling you a school shooter, just because you play first person shooters like Counter Strike >.> I've used Japanese language music to help me LEARN the language. It's part of my self education in fact, and it's a useful service. It's no different to me than what most people had to go through in school listening to say Spanish speakers and trying to translate what they are saying.

13. honestgabe

honestgabe I

Oh boo hoo. Otaku is a dirty word in Japan. I know that, and I also happen to know its used in the United States to reference anime fans and the like. Like Otakon, you know one of the biggest if not thee biggest anime convention in North America. And last time I checked it wasn't a NAMBLA get together.

14. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Back on topic, seriously i'm done with that conversation, the bottom line is that Streaming Internet Radio is at risk. The future of Internet radio is in immediate danger. Royalty rates for webcasters have been drastically increased by a recent ruling and are due to go into effect on July 15 (retroactive to Jan 1, 2006!). If the increased rates remain unchanged, the majority of webcasters will go bankrupt and silent on this date. Internet radio needs your help! The Internet Radio Equality Act has recently been introduced in both the House (H.R. 2060) and Senate (S. 1353) to save the Internet radio industry. Please call your senators and your representative to ask them to co-sponsor the Internet Radio Equality Act.

I know personally, my own Internet Radio Station that I listen to is at risk because they directed me to this site. They have a banner and bumper to enlighten the audience listening about this problem. I am sure I am not the only one who has a favorite internet radio station that may be taken offline because of the increasing cost of royalties.