Saturday Morning 80s DVD

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gaastra, May 9, 2010.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did anyone get the saturday morning 80s dvd yet?

I can't get it till next month but it looks like it might be fun.
    It has mr t, dragon's lair, chuck norris, and thundarr on it but is missing pac-man, saturday supercade and the mighy orbots. (Dang)

Anyone got this dvd yet? Is it any good?

2. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop!

Haven't even seen any sign of it yet, but I keep a look out, thanks.

3. Ioz

Ioz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought it. So far, I've watched Thundarr and Galtar. They held up pretty good. I have a big 80s cartoon DVD collection, so I am hoping this leads to complete series sets for some of the shows, especially Thundarr.

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    I saw this at Target when I was buying X-men vol 5. Mr.T and Chuck Norris tempted me, but I honestly didn't care about the rest of the shows on the set. It also didn't say how many episodes they had of each on there, so I didn't pull the trigger. I didn't want to get home and find only one ep of the shows I wanted to see.

5. Ioz

Ioz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These are the shows on it:

"Goldie Gold and Action Jack", "Chuck Norris: Karate Kommandos", "The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley", "The Flintstone Kids", "Mister T", "The Biskitts", "Monchhichis", "Galtar and the Golden Lance", "Dragon's Lair", "Thundarr the Barbarian", "The Kwicky Koala Show"

I would have liked to have seen Pac-Man and a couple other shows on there, but there is a good variety to it. Chuck Norris and Galtar weren't actually Saturday morning cartoons.

6. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If there were more episodes per show I would've bought it on site. But there appeared to be only 1-2 per show. Pass.

7. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    While I think a more appropriate title for it would be "Saturday Morning Cartoons (That Warner Home Video Has The Rights To)", it's not a bad collection for a quick nostalgia fix but it does kinda leave you wanting more for some of the better cartoons included in the set.

It's not a "must have" by any means though. If you're just feeling nostalgic, you can watch most of these on YouTube anyway. And several of the shows are enjoyed only in small doses -- meaning if you can stand them for more than a few minutes, you're more tolerant than most animation fans. And my only interest in most of these cartoons is the voice talent, so I tend to be more tolerant than most with the mediocre and difficult-to-watch.

I've actually been campaigning for a release like WHV's "Saturday Morning Cartoons" series for quite some time via toonzone.net and would periodically write to WHV and Buena Vista Home Video and other distributors to suggest releases like this to "test the market" (so to speak) for future releases. I had a page on my now-defunct Geocities site encouraging this kind of release as far back as 2003.

I don't want anyone to get the idea that I want to take any kind of credit for WHV's series, but it does give me a sense of satisfaction that WHV was at least reading my letters and others whom I encouraged to write with the suggestion as well. And even though I'd much rather WHV complete the rest of Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, and their other "stalled" Hanna-Barbera releases, I'm glad to see them releasing these just to get these vintage cartoons some exposure.

Here's a few reviews of the 80s collection:

Review: 'Saturday Morning Cartoons 1980s' - ComicMix news

DVD Review: Saturday Morning Cartoons: 1980s, Vol. 1 | LI Kids

Saturday Morning Cartoons 1980s | DVD | Review | The A.V. Club

8. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I really enjoyed this release. Finally they got around to doing 80's cartoons. Why wait so long?

Maybe with vol.2 WB will include Pacman and or Mighty Orbots.... as they have the rights to both shows.

Wish they would get off there butts and release some complete series sets.... Mighty Orbots and Thundarr would be a great place to start.