SAT help? (for those of you who have taken it)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flamingunicron, Aug 4, 2008.

1. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey guys,

I'm going to be a junior this year, which means SAT, and i've been taking a SAT course cause of my parents, and its nothing great. So far, i can do really well in math (790), but i suck at reading and writing (like...bellow 600). Do you guys have any tips on who to do well in those sections? Or any advice on how you guys did well?

Thanks

2. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I've taken the thing like four times now. I really cannot stand it, its long, pedantic, and the reading sections are getting too politically charged for my tastes. IMHO the ACT does a -WAY- better job at testing your knowledge and ability to work under time restraints, so I'd highly recommend taking one of those (that, and its scoring system actually makes sense). I also really detest the promptness College Board works with, they took all summer to get me my AP test scores, and it seems like they take forever on my SAT scores, whereas ACT usually gets you your stuff in about two weeks.

Guessing is a bad idea no matter what, the way they word it tricks a lot of people, but you DO loose a 1/4 of a point for every wrong answer, so you could answer one question right and get four wrong then you're back at zero.

As for the SAT writing section, despite all the sources they say you're allowed to draw from (personal experiences, friend's experiences, stories you've read, etc.), the one that they REALLY seem to like is when you reference history instead.
    DN

3. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

When in Doubt, Charlie out.

No, I am kidding, The best thing I can tell you is have confidence. If you feel you are good in a subject, and you know it. Believe it. Work on the things you are not so sure about. Sleep well the night before, and eat a good breakfast if you take it in the morning. And seriously, Get enough sleep before hand, You will not know anything more then you did, if you stay up all night studying, you will just be more tired and prone to mistakes due to not being able to concentrate.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I got a 1540, back when it was just the two sections with a max of 1600.

Actually, my whole family did 1500+. So I guess my only advice would be to be related to me.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Okay, but for real.

This is not the right place to be asking, seriously. The right answer is to buy yourself some study books, maybe consider a review course. But that's about the extent of the advice I can genuinely offer. It just takes some effort and time on your part.

6. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Princeton review offers a nice (albeit hefty) review book, I've been studying that this summer to prep for more later this year.
    DN

7. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I took the Princeton Review course, if you can afford it, which was 2 nights a week and every Saturday for 6 weeks. On Saturdays, you took practice exams and they would analyze it. Also get some study books and practice and practice. Yes, it is a pain but it is one good way to get through it. The more that you practice, the more confidence that you would have on the actual day of the exam. Go in with some food in your stomach and a good night's rest.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Good luck on that test man

9. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Best of luck. I wish I could offer advice but I went into both SAT and ACT without any sort of prep, no books, no courses, nothing.

I only got about a 1400 on the SAT (when it was a 1600 test) but I did get a 32 (out of 36) on ACT. I took the ACT once but the SAT three times and did best on my first shot. Of course, those were all take between 11 and 12 years ago.

I guess, based on my experience with the SAT, that the best I can say is go in and maintain confidence. Don't double think yourself.

10. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alright, thanks for the advice guys!