Customs: Sandpaper-ing

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Druggy, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Druggy

Druggy Active Member

Hi, am new to the world of customisation and I have some questions about sanding:-

Whats the difference between wet and dry sanding ? Which is better?
    When sanding, what are the types of grit recommended for a repaint? A 1,000 or 2,000 grit?
    Why do people sand starting from a lower grit to a higher one? or on an existing paint (spray) job

Any help or links is much appreciated.

2. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

I use a very fine grit sanding paper overall. I don't why, but I sand wet too..works great.

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    differences in wet sanding and regular sanding is exactly what it sounds like. One is wet the other isn't. Recommended sanding is starting off with something like... 120 or finer for initial sanding for the paint to adhere to the plastic. Once the paint is on the reason we painters like to wet sand the final coats is 1) it helps the next layer of paint to adhere 2) if there are imperfections in the paint they can be sanded out, and depending on what gets removed while trying to fix a run or blemish in the paint, minor touch ups will be all that is needed, and 3) when sprayed the paint will sometimes leave a textured surface, and the very very fine grit papers (the papers that feel like paper from a notebook or news paper, incredibly fine) will help to more or less buff that textured surface smooth, and when the clear coat is properly applied will give you a factory automotive looking finish. Hope this helps you out my friend, and good luck to ya.

4. Druggy

Druggy Active Member

Thanks so much for the tip!

5. toysforbigboys

toysforbigboys Well-Known Member

ok i know im like two years late but you have no idea how much that piece helped!!! everybody talks about it but no one actually explains WHY!!!

thank you.

6. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Great info here!