Customs: sandpaper alternatives?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by yovnocrats, Aug 11, 2008.

1. yovnocrats

yovnocrats Well-Known Member

anybody know of any that are just as effective, but maybe a little easier to come by, i can't exactly go to the store today and i was hoping to do some primer work.

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    easier to come by than sandpaper? even walmart carries sandpaper. do you have brillo pads? those (might) word...

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Is there an Auto parts store or Walmart near you? They both carry fine sandpaper cheap. If you can't get away from the house, maybe an emery board (for doing nails) is lying around, or perhaps a "scrubby" type dish sponge. :thumb 

4. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

This may sound crazy, but I use emery boards, the coarse and fine ones that women use on fake nails. They cost less than a buck a piece, you can wash and re-use them, and they are easier for me to handle than sandpaper. The consistency is about the same as sand paper as well, as there are TONS of different grains, shapes and typoes to pick between, and almost every store has them. Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, Kroger, Kmart, they are everywhere.

Give them a shot. They have worked really well for me and my bashing.

5. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Agreed, or even better > wait till you can buy sandpaper, no sense in ruining your project cause you didn't have the proper supplies on hand...so I gotta ask:
    If your sanding do you have a particle mask ?
    Cause you'll need that to.
    It's all about the supplies so if I don't have 'em, I don't work till I get 'em.

6. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

yup some things you can not substitute the boards are great and i use the all the time . however they can not get every thing and some things you may mess up with a board. like getting flat spots on curves and such

7. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Deadon. I do keep a small stock of sandpaper on hand for those things. too. I also us my dremel for major stuff.

TTT is right, as well. If ya don't have the right stuff to get the job done, you'll end up disappointed with the finished product.

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    man, I am the worst at keeping myself safe from chemicals and this sorta thing. between the enamel paints, airbrush, sanding, scorching hot plastic, and flying dremel tips, I'm going to be limbless and dead within 5 years ;O

9. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

LMAO after doing some industrial painting in chemical plants i feel rather safe doing this. if the fumes from the two part apoxy paint don't kill you the explosions or h2s and chlorine gas leaks will. :eek: 

10. yovnocrats

yovnocrats Well-Known Member

Ok then, I'll wait, I can probably find a board somewhere around here (I live with two women), but, as suggested, I'll just wait until I can pick up some paper and stuff. Thanks for the advice everybody. Cheers.:) 

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's one of the craziest things I've ever heard in my whole life on earth. The next thing you're going to suggest is finger nail polish for ball joints! Yep, you guys like your Transformers customs alright . . .

buncha weirdos

Before I decided to customize Transformers, I thought it'd be a great idea to experiment on myself. It's odd how after I volunteered to be a model in sculpture class I've never been the same since. They didn't make sculptures of me. All I can say is that rotary tools to the toes isn't fun.

Unless your toenails are long. Then rotary tools are full of win.