Customs: Sanding?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by PrimusTransFan, Aug 2, 2009.

1. PrimusTransFan

PrimusTransFan Member

Anyone have any thoughts on sanding with wet/dry sandpaper for a hand painted acrylic model? I'm saving for my airbrush but in the meantime I have started hand painting Ironhide and regardless of my brush strokes it seems I can't get a smooth surface so I was wondering if anyone had experience using a very light sanding to smooth out the surface. Any help would be fantastic!

2. dxaznxk

dxaznxk Member

Ive tried that today it seems to work, You might need to sand it out alot first

3. PrimusTransFan

PrimusTransFan Member

As an added note I did sand the surface lightly and apply primer.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  5. PrimusTransFan

PrimusTransFan Member

Thank you for posting a link to that, it's very helpful! I figured it would work, I just had this phobia of trying to do it, lol. Now that I know, I can definitely do a much more detailed job on what I'm working on.

It's my first kitbash anyway, so I'm not going to be too hard on myself. There's always that possibility of doing it again till you get it to where you like it. :) 

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hehe, I think you answered a lot for yourself here. Reading up on a process and doing your homework before you dive in is always a good thing :)  For your first bash, the first dip in the pool can be hardest sometimes. This is why I tend to advice peeps to start with something small and inexpensive first, then continually build up to bigger projects. If you start out that way, your loss isn't all that much compared to starting out with something like say a MP toy, etc.

Also, kitbashing isn't for everyone. That being said, though, is why we really try to be diligent about how we resource tutorials. While skill levels range all over the place, we want things to communicate to someone who quite literally has done nothing like this before to minimize any hurt, frustration, loss, etc.

In regards to wet sanding, the key is being conservative. You can always sand too little, but sanding too much is harder to fix. Have in mind why you're sanding, too. If you're sanding to minimize brush strokes, you'll want to barely sand. If you're sanding for paint rubbing reasons, you'll want to make sure the parts have enough clearance.

Personally, as far as just getting a nice top coat, I can't recommend Future floor polish enough. Quite literally, you can accomplish more with that than sanding. However, I use a combination of the two, but I use a coat of just Future by itself for the top coat in some cases. My trend right now is mixing paint with just a little bit of Future. Since Future is self-leveling, mixing it with the paint gives the paint a property of self-leveling as well as an additional gloss. Also, sanding a top coat VERY lightly (and I stress lightly) then adding Future can yield the same effect, as I've done both. :)