San Francisco bans free toys from highest-calorie Happy Meals

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by soundwaveprime1, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Oh yeah, this will definitely stop obesity. All those kids out in San Fran who were eating Happy Meals for lunch and dinner are going to be outside exercising now instead of sitting on the couch playing their video games.

2. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Shouldn't we be able to CHOOSE what we eat however?

3. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Choose not to eat in San Fran. I sure as hell wouldn't eat anything out there.

4. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    San Francisco = Food Toy Nazi

NO TOY FOR YOU!!!

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Parents need to do there own parenting and say NO. let your precious snowflakes bawl they will get over it. That said I can see how it would be rather easy for McDonald's to circumvent this new law/ordinance.

6. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Yes, and you'll still be able to in San Francisco except if you or your kid order a crappy meal that is above 600 calories and more than 35% of those calories come from fat, there's no free toy. Doing some quick math, 35% of 600 calories is 210 calories. Going by what I've read, there are 9 calories per 1 gram of fat. So that works out to be 23.333333333333 grams of fat per meal.

Looking at that .pdf of the nutritional values for the Happy Meals, 4 meals are automatically affected for sure. If you do hair splitting, 1 meal could be affected since they meet the < 600 calorie mark and on the border for the grams of fat. So 4-5 meals total by the looks of it unless my math is off. Since there are 24 meals on the chart, you still have 19-20 meals to choose from and still get a toy.

I like how the focus is shifting from self-serving corporate interests to some nonsense regarding eroding freedoms. No one's saying you can't have a junk meal, just don't expect a toy. I rather like this incentive to help susceptible kids who have weak parents eat better and take a step in the right direction to deal with child obesity.

EDIT: Realized I made a mistake and redid the number of meals affected.

7. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    When I was a kid we only got McD's on rare occasions as a treat. The Happy Meal toy was part of that treat. Parents should be the ones taking responsibility for what their kids are consuming as with every other aspect of their rearing.

I swear, people are worried about society becoming like the movie Idiocracy, while it's actually turning into South Park.

8. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    4 McRibs, 1 Dollar Double, Large Fries, The 2 for a dollar Pumpkin Pies, and a small Diet Coke.

9. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Wow the Giants win the WS and they get no toys, sucks for them.

10. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

I don't get it. I'm not fat by any stretch, and I eat McDonald's sometimes, and my kid eats McDonald's sometimes, and he's not fat either... I guess the key word is sometimes?

11. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Fucking. ******ed.

Parents can't do the job so city government will. The whole thing is pathetic on a lot of levels. It's like putting a band-aid on a slashed artery - it ain't gonna do squat.

...and ban circumvented.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  12. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Faith in humanity lost.

Again.

Good on them.

Young kids shouldn't be eating any fast food whatsoever when it takes 5 minutes to go home and make them real food.

13. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    first they take away our freedom to sell kids toys with lead in them, now this? :sly: 

14. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    Actually first they took away our cool toys with spring powered missiles that could launch across an apartment...THEN they took away our lead toys :p 

15. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I really don’t think this will do much to curtail obesity in this country, the idea is nice. I generally don’t think government intrusion. I believe people should be able to make their own choices, irresponsibly or not. But when their irresponsibility is a burden on society then government should try to do something.

16. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Extra like OMG

This comment smacks of intolerance. Thumbs down.

There are plenty of "skinny" burdens on society if I were to use such a term.. what about the poor, the sick, the handicapped, prisoners.. certainly many prisoners are in excellent physical condition yet huge buildings have to be built to house & feed them at the cost of the "AVERAGE JOE" Not all fat people are lazy listless slobs who eat a dozen eggs for breakfast & pizza topped with chinese food for lunch, sitting around in their own filth watching television 16 hours a day.

17. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    In all honesty, much as I disprove of state intervention in anything, it's possibly a good idea. I'll have to see if it works out. The free toys are an appeal to the little kids when given a choice between the sandwich bar down the street or McDonalds, and we know most parents these days give in far too easily (partially due to reasons out of their control, admittedly) and just go for an easy time of it. It's a good idea, but whether this is a solid attempt at tackling the problem (be it obesity or McDonalds bosses being manipulative twats) or a half arsed wave of the hand to satisfy insane health freaks is something to bear in mind, certainly.

And, to be honest - those toys sucked. The kids stand to gain from their absence.

(better clarify here, I'm not some health protester. I'm overweight myself, and certainly fall prey to many of the tricks these companies use on all ages -and maybe that makes my argument redundant, who knows? I just find it satisfying that an official body is recognising that McDonalds doesn't give the kids toys for the kids benefit.)

18. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don’t know about the toys of today but back when I was a kid they had these big 4 wheeler trucks that were great. I loved collecting those.

19. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    This comment smacks of intolerance. Thumbs down.

20. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    If we're tolerant we have to be tolerant of intolerance.

Or it's intolerance. :D