2D Artwork: Sam's Exo-Suit / Roller

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Mister Gone, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I decided that I was tired of Sam having to hide every time there was a fight so I brought back an old bit of equipment from the G1 movie http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Exo-suit. Here's the bit of the story where Sam first gets to use the Roller unit.

A fireball exploded near the wall and sent a cloud of vaporized brick into Sam’s eyes. He reeled back and fell onto a pile of debris. Wheeljack fired blindly around the corner then crouched near Sam.

“Keep your head down!” The gruff Autobot engineer barked. “I can’t build new parts for humans, yet.”

Passed the makeshift bunker the battle raged. Optimus Prime, Bumblebee and Ironhide did their best to halt the advance of the enraged Devastator, knowing full well that he was the least of their worries. Somewhere just beyond the horizon, if Starscream’s boasts could be believed, approached a monster, the Trypticon.

Sam’s mind raced. Mikaela had been manning Hound’s turret while he stayed in vehicle mode hoping his maneuverability would keep them clear of Shockwave’s salvos, but now she was trapped in the middle of the mayhem and all Sam could do is watch.

Sam turned, panicking, to Wheeljack. “There has to be something we can do! Mikaela is gonna get blasted out there!”

Wheeljack looked down at the small human and a spark of inspiration struck. “I can’t do anything to hurt that thing as a car and I’m not fast enough on my feet to avoid getting hit as a bot. I have a plan Sam, but you can’t tell Prime I gave you this.”

Sam smiled, nodded, and followed Wheeljack back to the drop site where the Autobots had landed a few hours ago.

The pair stood in front of an object under a tarp. Wheeljack pulled one corner of the cover and the canvas slid back to reveal a gleaming six wheeled vehicle. The small ATV bristled with weaponry and a cockpit opened as if to invite Sam in.

“I call him Roller. I built it trying to figure out how to protect the humans of your world against our advanced weapons. He’s fast and he hits plenty hard. Oh and one more thing..”

Wheeljack was interrupted. “It can wait Wheeljack! I have to get out there to help her.” Sam said as he leapt into the driver’s seat.

Several large armor plates cocooned Sam and a clear dome slid forward protecting his head. The six wheels skidded then found purchase and Sam sped into battle.

The ground erupted and Hound was tossed onto his side, Mikaela slammed hard into the driver’s side door.

“You okay in there?” Hound asked nervously.

Mikaela forced a smile. “Yeah, I’m actually kind of getting used to this kind of thing at this point.”

On a distant Hill top, Shockwave focused his single eye. Several miles away his target, Hound, lay on his side.

“Why don’t you transform?” He thought to himself. “What are you hiding Autobot?”

Shockwave prepared his massive arm cannon for another shot when a silver streak caught his attention. The small six wheeler headed towards the over turned Autobot.

“Interesting, a new model.” Shockwave said as he readied his attack.

Sam skidded to a halt near Hound. “Mikaela, are you alright?” he yelled.

Mikaela smiled through the dirt covered sunroof and put her hand to the glass.

“Sam!” Hound shouted. “We are being targeted you need to..”

Hound was cut off by the massive energy blast. Sam’s small ATV flew through the air and landed top down with a clang.
    Sam frantically searched for a way to turn over. Pressing the hatch release controls only resulted in a sickly grinding noise and an error message on the main display.
    A computerized voice chimed in. “Unit: Roller is being targeted. Please take evasive measures.”

Shockwave chuckled to himself. “Resilient little thing, but this one should put him down.” Energy crackled and built up in Shockwave’s weapon. The Decpticon had been so intent on blasting the newcomer he had not noticed his colossal cohort, Devastator, had moved in for a closer look as well, inadvertently blocking Shockwave’s target.
    Shockwave released his blast just as he noticed the behemoth in its path. “Devastator you fool!” he shouted, but it was too late.
    The seething beam of light struck Devastator in the back and sent him stumbling forward, toward Sam.

The computer chimed in again as a shadow descended on Sam. “Collision impact imminent.”

“Oh you think?” Sam screamed.

“Please transform and evade.” The computer suggested.

“Transform?” Sam asked shocked, then looked to controls frantically. An Autobot symbol blinked red on the main controls. Sam pressed the button.

Metal scraped passed metal. Parts broke loose and realigned. Sam heard a noise so familiar from his Autobot friends but this time it was like it was in his head. The Vehicle gently pushed Sam around in the suit as the pieces all fell back together. It was only now that Sam realized why Wheeljack was studying the human anatomy books in his backpack so intently, and at this point he was very glad he had been.
    The ATV was no longer a wheeled vehicle. Sam stood in a hardened steel sarcophagus about 8 feet tall. The suit felt snug and he could not move it first. The two neural interface plates that pressed against the base of his neck were cold and startled him.

They startled him almost as much at the enormous Decepticon that was almost on top of him.

“Move damn it!” Sam shouted.
    His fingers and toes went numb for a moment and then the suit lurched towards Hound.
    Sam began to giggle. A pair of wheels sprung out from the arches of the suits feet and Sam skated towards the incapacitated Autobot.

“What in the Sam Hell?” Hound exclaimed.

Sam planted a shoulder into Hound and pushed him along just out of the range of the falling Devastator.

“You couldn’t be more right Hound.” Mikaela said, astounded.

Inside the cockpit the now familiar voice spoke to Sam. “Unit: Roller is being targeted. Please take evasive measures.”

“Can you see where he’s firing from?” Sam asked the computer.

The computer thought a few milliseconds. “Target is using laser range finder for allocation--- tracking---tracking--- Target acquired. Shall I fire on target?

“Yeah fire on target you daffy computer, FIRE!” Sam shouted.

A bank of medium range rockets popped from just behind Sam’s head and belched forth a dozen missiles.

Shockwave watched as the projectiles snaked their way towards him. “He used my own targeting laser to track back to me, Ingenious.”

Mikaela jumped out of Hound as he Transformed and ran to Sam. “Who’s your tailor?”

In the distance the Shockwave's hilltop exploded.

Wheeljack skidded to a halt near by and transformed. “You may have to wait for a fitting I get booked heavy around wedding season.”

With the cover fire from Shockwave gone Optimus Prime, Ironhide and Bumblebee regrouped with the others.

Devastator stood and now faced six Autobots. Even as large as he was, he did not like those odds.

“Open fire!” Prime commanded.

The group began firing on he lumbering Decpticon titan.
    Sam in particular took special enjoyment in finally dishing out some damage as opposed to hiding out of harms way. Sam targeted the weakest points, Devastator’s joints.
    Devastator turned and began limping away.

“Let him go.” Optimus ordered. “We can follow him back to Megatron.”

Sam rushed up to jeer the retreating robot. “That’s right you walking junkyard! Run!” Sam stepped on a huge wrecking ball that had been blasted off Devastator and crushed it under foot. “Come back again and we’ll fix you the rest of the way!”

Sam did his best to gently hug Milaeka as they watched Devastator move off.

[​IMG]

2. jostru

jostru Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool.

3. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Thank you. I'm sad I didn't have a chance to get him inked or colored. Then again I suck at both of those things :D  I figured I'd concentrate on his story instead.

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    The story is great. The artistic skill in the drawing, great. The design.. not so much. It's just the exosuit from the 86 movie.

5. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Thank you for the compliments :D 

Well I wanted to keep some of the elements of the original but not Bay it up too much. I added a link at the top of the page for side by side reason.
    The tube arms and the split feet. I wanted to keep in recognizable but updated.

6. manthamon

manthamon Bumblebee Rocks !!!!!

I like the sketches of them both . And I agree I hate to see him run hide every time.

7. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Yeah, for as human centric as the movies have been I hat to see one of the main charatcers forced to wuss out all the time :p 

8. Milk & Cheese

Milk & Cheese Banned

The story is cool but you should have finished inking/coloring the drawing.

Oh well :D 

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Now that this is moved to the Fan Art section, please attach your images, ok?