Sam & Mikaela's Break-Up Makes PERFECT Sense (As Do Sam & Carly)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Hazekiah, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    This comes up in the course of a LOT of other discussions about this movie and people seem to have trouble understanding how it could POSSIBLY have happened, so I thought it might be handy to just give these points a quick once-over and some discussion in their own thread.

Mikaela dumping Sam IS perfectly within the bounds of her character.

As we saw with Mikaela and Trent in the first film, she DOES NOT tolerate jerks for very long.

And as we saw with Sam in the second movie AND in this movie, he was clearly becoming a bit of a jerk.

BAM.

</3

Simple as that.

Hell, just think back to the second movie and start counting the number of times she tries to break up with him, lol.

Furthermore, Carly says things like, "God, your temper tantrums are SO sexy" and seems to mean it, suggesting the profile of a woman who likes her men a bit controlling and manipulative.

A point which also just so happens to explain how Dylan was able to "steal her away" to work for him AS WELL AS explaining broadly her former career in politics, if you think about it.

Just like Sam told his Mom about Carly, she really DOES "love him for who he is" -- temper tantrums and all -- unlike Mikaela.

And there you have it.

:) 

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Also, in counter argument to your point (which makes no sense, as in why WOULDN'T she dump Sam?), what if it was Sam who broke up with her? I mean, as much as ROTF was about their relationship, it took an entire movie to get one to say "I love you" to the other. Not exactly a relationship written in the stars, I'd say.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2011
  3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think he's on to something. Sam is a jerk (using a robot war to get lucky) and Mikela is one of too for forces Sam to love her and then dump him.

I still don't see why Optimus Prime is willing to rip Decepticons faces for jerk people in the Bayverse.

:popcorn  Aaaaaaand let's continue from here.

4. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    Sam's a Dick and Mikaela's a bitch they were made for each for each other.

5. optimegatron

optimegatron Not over, not finished.

News Credits:
    Hey, gotta admit it, Hazey, this is the FIRST thread you've made that doesn't make me slleepy. It actually makes sense, unlike your wierdass conspiracy theories wothin the movie...
    You might really be on to something...

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    :lol 

Too bad Megan had to call Bay Hitler....I agree two unlikeable humans are meant for each other.

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Sam's a dick.
    'Nuff said.

8. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Fair point.

Except Sam specifically mentions that SHE broke up with HIM.

And I was never questioning the break-up myself anyhow, just simply addressing the concerns of those who do.

:) 

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Uh, considering just how long ago the movie was, I honestly doubt anybody even cares at this point in time.

10. Epsilon

Epsilon Autobot Archivist

As much as I preferred Mikaela's character in the first movie (ROTF seemed to water her down to fit more into the damsel in distress role in a bad way ) it never entirely surprised me that she broke up with Sam (his being a jerk aside).

I believe they mentioned this briefly in DOTM, but supposedly Mikaela couldn't take the strain of keeping up with/ knowing the Autobots; not specifically the bots themselves, but all of the governmental red tape that comes with knowing them. Sam will always be tied to the Autobots through Bumblebee, he was never going to have a chance at a normal life. But Mikaela was only involved ultimately by association. If it wasn't for Sam she would have never become involved their war.

Yes, on the surface it would be amazing to know alien robots, but really, to be caught in the middle of their war, getting shot at, risking life and limb at any potential moment, and losing all semblance of normalcy, is suddenly a hell of a lot of responsibility and not as much fun. At least it wouldn't be in the long run. I don't think it would have taken Mikaela very long to figure this out and realize if she left Sam she'd get that chance at "normalcy." After all, he's the one that was whining all throughout ROTF about wanting that normal life; it was because he wanted to be "normal" that he turned Optimus down and ended up getting Prime killed. Listening to Sam whine like that so much, must have started Mikaela thinking that she might want the same thing. Only difference is that she has a chance at having that "normal" life, unlike Sam.

Add all these doubts, plus Sam whining like a little kid 24/7 and being a jerk, and its really no surprise that Mikaela threw in the towel. So, yes, it does in fact make perfect sense that Sam and Mikaela didn't work out. And the only reason that Sam and Carly do is that they're presumably going to get to have all the cool/ awesome moments of knowing alien robots without having to reckon with the risking life and limb thing now that the war is over. Now that Megatron has been defeated Sam and Carly will get to have a chance at the semblance of a "normal" life that didn't--at least at the time (ROTF pre DOTM)--seem possible before.

11. Epsilon

Epsilon Autobot Archivist

Well of course not, but that doesn't mean it still isn't fun to talk about or try to fill in the gaping holes in the plots that Bay left behind. :p 

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The reason why it makes sense to me? Mikaela doesn't strike me as the kind of person whom anyone would get together with for the purpose of a long-term relationship, much less marriage.

13. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Then I'll take her :p 

I don't think it made sense at all, because DOTM was all the time like it was made for the role of Mikaela and not Carly. But we can't change it and with all those other strange things in the movie verse, their relationship should be the last thing to bother us.

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I dunno. Leaving looks aside completely, she seemed like a person of strong character and was very loyal. She selflessly risked her life for others (some of whom were aliens and she knew only briefly) in circumstances when most people would have either run or hid. Seems pretty solid to me. I don't know what more you are looking for in a mate. Good at math? I suppose it is possible she might not have been the strongest in mathematics.

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    More warmth and less standoffishness, for one. Mikaela constantly behaved as though there was a giant chip on her shoulder, and never exuded the sweetness and tenderness that Carly did. I prefer my women nice and nurturing, not stuck-up and bitchy.

And loyalty? The first sentence that escaped Mikaela's mouth in ROTF was "I'm breaking up with you, Sam." Face it: the only real thing keeping those two together was the Cybertronian conflict. Being pursued by Barricade was the the sole reason they wound up together in the first place. That's one hell of a concrete foundation for a relationship, right there.

I'll concede Mikaela's courage, although Carly arguably equaled it when she marched right up to Megatron and made him go after Sentinel. And I have no idea what the devil that 'mathematics' comment is supposed to mean, so I'll just ignore it.

16. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

She wasn't really serious in that scene - as evidenced by their parting before Sam leaves to college. She was probably a little depressed about Sam getting to go off to college when she felt obligated to stay with her dad. Don't think that makes her a bitch or a horrible person.

She wouldn't have immediately got on that plane and flew to Sam if she was serious. She risked her life several times in both movies to stand by his side. That's the ultimate loyalty.

17. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Mikaela dumped him for Leo. She loves his kitten calendars.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    And was she serious or was she joking? Joking.

19. FeelingLuckyPnk

FeelingLuckyPnk Decepticon Punks!

[​IMG]

20. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Oh, come on.

The movie's barely been out over half-a-year and hasn't even wrapped up its release in all home media outlets yet. And the fact that the thread exists and has created two pages of discussion and over a thousand views in just one week certainly proves that someone cares.

And let's also not forget...
    Except I don't really blame Bay for this so much. He seemed perfectly content to just shrug off whatever Megan Fox thought or said about him and to just steamroll ahead with Mikaela in TF:D otM anyway, but between her apparent intransigence, Spielberg's last minute directive to just go ahead and ditch her, and the GIGANTIC production which was already well underway, Bay didn't really have much of a choice in the matter and was simply playing the hand he was dealt.

I think you've gotta kinda cut the guy some slack on this one.

:-\

Solid points! Excellent contribution, thanks. The "red tape" angle is an interesting one, although there didn't really seem to be too much to it for Sam and his loved ones other than cashing their checks and keeping their mouths shut, but it's still an intriguing point.

Which, incidentally, ties into his relationship with Carly making just as much sense as his break-up with Mikaela.

Considering Carly's former career in politics and the fact that she's a Brit who's living and working in the U.S. as a civilian now, she'd certainly be no stranger to dealing with red tape!

;) 

Haha...you'll have to get in line, lol.

Another thread you might find interesting:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ion/510463-mikaelas-dad-supposed-die-o_o.html

Good points!

She was certainly brave and loyal...not only regarding her courage in combat but even going so far back as her (former) Juvenile Delinquency record for not ratting out her dad. It was a pretty core trait, clearly established early on.

But, by the same token...it could just as easily be pointed out that the break-up threats coincided with her father re-entering her life. Perhaps all the grief and sacrifice arising from that dilemma with her father made jerks like Trent and Sam seem like a bit of a sore spot, hence explaining her loyalty to her father as actually motivating her waning loyalty to other guys once they start walking all over her like he did.

Hmm.

Which was a scene pretty clearly written for Mikaela, but that's beside the point. But, yeah...Carly certainly had balls, too. Kinda says a lot about Sam's taste in women! Kinda makes you wonder about the freudian implications of his relationship with his domineering and boundary-challenged mother too, lol.

Haha, but I digress.

Saying the Cybertronian conflict and Barricade's pursuit were the ONLY reason Sam & Mikaela wound up together is a bit much.

Yeah, Bumblebee was rather instrumental in Sam's wooing of her...but Sam had his sights set on her since grade school anyway, and he would have chased after her no matter which car he left Bobby Boliva's lot with that day.

And, sure, she was impressed by Bee's engine...but she still ditched Sam after ogling under Bee's hood anyway. Plus, Sam clearly charmed her adequately on their first "date" that night when she smiled and waved goodbye promisingly after they'd finally established their rapport, too.

So he was well on his way with or without his car revealing its sentience and the two of them being caught in the middle of Barricade's "giant droid deathmatch" with it, lol.

Give the kid some props!