Heavy/Scratch: Salvo

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ramrider, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I've been working for a little while on designing a range of transforming minibots for sale as 3D-printed kits; most of the work has been on the Gunslingers. Some of them are homages to the classic Targetmaster figures (Dustup and Mayhem should be coming very soon), others are completely original designs.

And here's my first one ready to go: Salvo!

[​IMG]

He stands at 56mm tall, so he fits in nicely with other Minicons (he's the same height as PCC Caliburst, for example), and he's even more poseable than Universe Nightstick, with 10 points of articulation (most of them balljoints).
    He transforms into a machine gun-style weapon, with a 5mm peg handle for maximum compatibility! :D 

[​IMG]

If you want one like him, he's available to buy from my Shapeways store. He comes as an unpainted 14-part kit (though you can order him in several pre-dyed colours), but is really easy to paint and assemble (there's a link to assembly instructions on the ordering page).

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    That is an AWESOME looking Targetmaster. Love the name! I may be interested in buying one of him, but in your pics it looks like his head is exposed at the back of the gun. Is there any way to hide the head in gun mode, like just turning it 180 degrees to it faces into the arm?

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thanks! Yeah, normally I'd turn the head 180 degrees so it's facing downwards in gun form; it's on a balljoint, so it can be turned 360 degrees as well as tilting it back, forward or sideways. My figure is the initial test print, and the neck ball didn't have enough clearance in the socket; it's not fused, but is tight enough that it's difficult to turn with my fingers. The model on the site has had that issue fixed.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Excellent. In that case, I will have to order at least one at a future date, as Salvo would make a great "Spare gun" for some secondhand figures i pick up who are missing their guns. Out of curiousity, will you be doing Targetmasters that aren't quite "conventional" so to speak? I'd love for a Targetmaster chaingun.

5. Crazy Ninjaman

Crazy Ninjaman TF fan since 1993

I agree wooo bullet spam:rock 
    on topic: great figure dude I might have to get one:sly2: 

6. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was wondering who made those minibots for the cybertron soundwave. When do you think they will be avaliable?

I really like your stuff, and I have a suggestion for one of your projects. On the tiny scamper could you put a micron port or 5mm peg hole on the bottom of the car mode so that he may be used with PCC menasor set?

Also what type of material do you suggest for someone that loves to pose and tinker their figures? Like which is more similar to a official figures plastic in terms of durability and look, "White Strong and Flexable" or "white detail"?

Also are you the one making adaptors so that you can use energon primes limbs on energon style combiners?

7. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    This is pretty slick man.

Good to see you back in the hobby. :thumb 

8. blue death

blue death Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    dude i keep seeing your designs on shapeways and damn it all they do look awesome. as soon as i get a few things together that i really want im gonna order some of them along with a few more things. you and Cashanova really knock it out of the park with each item

9. warriorpriest

warriorpriest Priest of Primus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    If i had the cash I would be all over these.

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

A chaingun, eh? Hmm, that's an interesting one; I'll have to have a play with that idea. ;)  I'm definitely doing some more unconventional ones; I have a sniper rifle very nearly finished and ready for a second testprint, as well as a Tommy gun-style design with a drum feed.

Thankye kindly; I aim to please. :) 

Well, Doubletime should be on my next testprint run, and I'm pretty confident that I've got all his bugs fixed.
    Despoiler still needs more work; it's been a bear of a job designing joints for legs as thin as his. :p 

I like the way you think, sir. ;) 
    Yes, yes I can. Most of the underside is hollow to save on price, so all I need to do is add a small block in the right place and subtract a 5mm hole from it. Judging by his measurements, he should be good fit as a chestplate. I'll do that tomorrow. :) 

Detail (which is an acrylic photopolymer, if you were interested) is probably closer to the look, but I'm going to recommend WSF (PA 2200 Nylon); the clue's in the name. I've released the figures so far in the Detail materials on request, but I haven't personally had the opportunity to test them, and I've heard one or two reports that it can be quite fragile. Redshift over at the Allspark tried one of his own, smaller, Targetmasters in Transparent Detail, and one of the shoulder balljoints snapped when he tried to pop it on. I'm not sure if he's managed to find a way round this yet.

WSF meanwhile, is - as the name suggests - quite strong, and can take more punishment than Detail - which is what you want if you're actually going to play with your figures (and why wouldn't you? ;) ). It does arrive with a slightly rough (but not unpleasantly so) texture, and is mildly porous (here's what it looks like at about four times actual size :p ); this means that it absorbs paint and dye well, and once it's been sealed with a varnish (I use the ubiquitous Klear/Future floor polish) and set to cure, the texture's much lighter (as on my painted figure above; you could get it smoother than that, but I think the texture looks and feels really nice as it is).

That's not me, I'm afraid. If this is what you're referring to, it's one of Cashanova's. I do, however, have PCC combiner sockets available (designed so you can make your own PCC limbs), along with a bonus replacement flap so that Skyburst can use Minicon chest armour... ;) 

Thanks, mate. Good to be back. :D 

Thanks a lot. :D 

Thanks. Believe me, I can relate... :p 

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  11. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Very cool! I always admire you guys who can do these types of things and have them printed. Keep it up, man.

12. struecker85

struecker85 Autobot

looks REALLY great with prowl

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I really want some more Targetmasters :)  This looks especially cool :thumb 

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thanks, all. Much more cool stuff to come; I think you will approve... ;) 

Also, just updated the Scamper car model as Reluttr suggested, putting a 5mm peg hole in the bottom. Now he can be mounted on Minicon ports! :D 

For the record, here's a shot showing how Scamper can look painted up (though the wheels have been changed to protect the innocent)!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  15. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude this is amazing! So subscribing to this thread and hitting up the store when I get home!

16. Seansy

Seansy Me Grimlock say Go Do One

Ebay:
    Amazing work. The winter red will be a good Verity a lá LSOTW. Interested in the sniper too... If cliffjumpers BFG was to be a targetmaster I would be tres impressed!

17. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These are so great i was on shapeways and saw these for the first time just the other week.

p.s. the gunbarrel in the leg on salvo is awesome he would probably make a good haywire if it wasnt for the mouthplate

I was wondering which ones where meant to be homages to the original targetmasters i would be well up for buying a targetmaster for kup scourge and blurr

Also i absoloutley love the sniper rifle

18. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Very cool. I like the look of this.

19. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thanks, all. :) 

Targetmaster Verity, eh? Interesting idea; I just looked up her armour (get your minds out of the gutter :p ), and it looks like she can turn into a motorbike or something, but it also looks like she has flip-out guns on her forearms, which could work for a Targetmaster weapon mode...

I must admit, I always thought if anyone was missing a BFG, it was Bluestreak, what with him only having that little rifle when he's supposed to be a gunner...

Thanks. If you've seen the preview of Dustup in my shop, he's my first homage one (for Scourge, in case you hadn't figured it out ;) ). I'm currently retooling him after my first test print, and I'm trying out a standard peg handle design that doubles (hopefully) as a 3mm clip, so he mounted on Gen. Scourge's head in vehicle mode.
    Blurr's is also in the works, in the form of Mayhem (check the pic below).
    I'm not quite sure what I'm doing for Recoil yet, but I'm pretty certain he'll be forthcoming, and I'm also doing sketches for a Firebolt homage, who'll be (quite heavily) remodelled from Dustup. :) 

Attached Files:

20. Seansy

Seansy Me Grimlock say Go Do One

Ebay:
    A triple changer targetmaster would be class, gun to bike to robot! Go on... Push yourself!

What's the turn around on these? Brilliant work too mate.