Safety Plastic/Soft Plastic/Whatever

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CelticMutt, May 28, 2012.

1. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

I have a number of figures with the softer plastic, like nosecones and spiky bits and such, and I know it's for safety reasons. I mean, TFWiki mentions it every time about how it's so kids won't poke their eyes out. But I have to say ... really?

I mean, ok I haven't tried jabbing my eye with one to test it, because I'm insane but not stupid, but most still feel more than stiff enough to spear an eye if some kid decided to experiment, or just play too rough. There are the really soft ones like PRID Ratchet's blades. Can't see those hurting much. But most nosecones, or the aforementioned Ratchet's knee spikes, are still plenty stiff.

Now, I don't have kids so it's not a real concern for me, but it seems to me that safety plastic really isn't safe.

2. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Not to mention the Commander weapons, namely those of Dreadwing, Megatron, and Starscream. Hard, pointy, and small.

3. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I get the whys and the wherefores and I accept that its part and parcel. These things are designed for young kids and kids tend to get super fierce with their toys when they're in the thick of it and have a tendency to start whipping them through the air when things aren't quite going their way.

The only real bummer for me, is that the increased amount of soft rubbery plastic in the figures has made it hell to put some of them into storage without those parts getting warped in one way or another.

4. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Hmmm I hurt my hand transforming ROTF Ultimate Bumblebee, got pinched by plastic, it hurt a lot, but what if that happened to a child?

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    That's gov'mnt for you. They decide what is "safe", pass laws, and the toy companies have to comply. Whether or not it's actually safer doesn't matter. Reality has never mattered where politicians are concerned.