Safe way to remove stickers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CompuGlobal HyperMegatron, Aug 26, 2006.

1. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

Hi!

I'm looking to replace the stickers that are on my G1 prime, however I don't want to do any damage to the figure or trailer. I know that if I try to just peel them off myself I'll end up with residue from the glue, or scraps of sticker that I just can't get off. Is there a safe/easy way to do this? Or is it out of the question?

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Something Hiro Prime told me, that works beautifully, is to put a little lighter fluid on a rag and rub gently. The residue comes right off, and then the lighter fluid just evaporates. I've used this on G1 Devastator, Cyclonus, Megatron, Jetfire, and a lot of others, and it's always worked with no ill effect to the TF at all.

3. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    Try this, use some heat vapor over the sticker for several minutes, the glue/adhesive should become "chewy" the use a knife o a needle to rub a corner, once you get a corner up, you can take it out easily and slowly.

4. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    I personally wouldn't use lighter fluid on anything as it's bound to damage one of your figures eventually. If you've got the time and patience, Goo Gone is what I use when I'm refurbishing old TFs. Just put some on a Q-tip and apply to the decal and let it set for a minute to soften the adhesive or sticker itself. Then remove the sticker gently with your fingernail. Unless your nails are metal, you shouldn't do any kind of damage. Next apply more product to remove the adhesive and let it set again to soften the glue. You should be able to remove what's left of the nasty stuff now with your cotton swabs. Of course, I did skip an important step here. I always dissassemble the figure into the most parts I can and dump the newly Goo Gone'd parts into hot soapy water to clean them with a dishsoapy toothbrush. I would suggest this to you as well. Removing the cleaner itself is very important or the new stickers you'd like to apply won't stick right, it will also clean any dirt or dust on the figure that can make it look old and grimy. I've refurbished quite a few G1 characters that have all turned out great. My only caution would be to stay away from clear plastic with any cleaning agent, it mars and smears very easily. I hope that helps. Good luck!

5. soundwave-maker

soundwave-maker Well-Known Member

Try this: Get a blowdryer. Set it to high heat an go back and forth over the area where the sticker is. Gently remove sticker little by little. Aim close enough to the sticker, but not to close. Whatever excess glue you have left over, if any, you can remove with rubbing alcohol on a q-tip swab.

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ideally, you'll want to refrain from smoking during this process. :tongue: 

Seriously, though, I've heard lighter fluid works fine. I've always used Goo-Gone myself.

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Goo-gone is awesome, I don't use anything else.

8. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just scrape it off with my nails as best I can and then use goo gone on the residue. Then wash it off with some soap and water.