Safe areas around Cincinnati

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by sunlink, Feb 27, 2008.

1. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed

News Credits:
    Just curious for those familiar with Cincinnati how are these general areas - safe, unsafe, etc

Mason, OH
    Sharonville, OH
    Blue Ash, OH
    West Chester, OH
    Fairfield, OH
    Florence, KY
    Walton, KY

thanks!

2. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

those are all safe west chester is a very upscale town

3. hockeygamer40

hockeygamer40 Autobot Hockey Player 40

News Credits:
    Mason's pretty safe for the most part but is about 1/2 hour north and west from Cincinnati.

Sharonville is ok too. It is known positively for its night time entertainment. This is also on the top of the I275 loop.

Blue Ash has a booming business district and has some places to hang out at night.

West Chester is upscale but still mostly residential. The business part and shopping is mostly around I75 including the new IKEA store. There is a Walmart on I75 and Cincinnati-Dayton Road.

Fairfield is where I grew up, so it's dear to my heart. The stores and restaurants in the "Forest Fair" mall area are safe during the daytime and can be dangerous at night. If you haven't been to Fairfield or its bordering town Forest Park, you best go during the day for its shops near I275. The areas between Fairfield and Hamilton are good, including Jungle Jim's. Note: Fairfield has no "downtown" per se -- it's built up across the board.

Be aware that cops frequently patrol up and down State Route 4 every 30 minutes between Woodlawn and Hamilton. They are looking for speeders, drunks, and anyone they think is suspicious.

I've visited Florence, and it's got a booming shopping center. You will find a Wal-Mart and a Target here.

Don't know anything about Walton.

Please enjoy your visit! In the last few years, we have caught up and have round the clock Walmarts and a plethora of Targets. However, our Toys R Us population is dwindling.

4. Saralady

Saralady Member

The basic rule of thumb is to never travel anywhere alone at night, and you should be fine. However, I wouldn't recommend spending much time in Over the Rhine regardless as to the time of day or number of people you're with.

Of course, everyone's idea of "safe" is somewhat subjective. Are you asking because you want to scamper about free with woodland creatures, or because you've heard some bad things about the general Cincinnati area? I've lived in Hamilton my whole life (about 30 minutes north of downtown Cincy) and there are some areas you can wander around safely no matter the time, and others you'd be a little better off avoiding all together.

5. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed

News Credits:
    First off - thanks for everyones input! =) Reason I ask is because I'm looking for alternative Botcon lodging. These are just some of the places that seemingly are close by but cheaper than the actual Botcon hotels.

6. red00wolf

red00wolf Insatiable collector

Most of the area has been infested with zombies for months now, there is no safe place out side,you should just stay inside with a loaded gun and hope they dont hear you.
    make sure your borded up properly though some times they try to come in for no reason at all.....
    wait WHATS THAT......OMG I HEAR ONE.....IM GOING TO THE ATThkgv

7. DeeJay

DeeJay Bluestreak Brony

News Credits:
    I am here. YOU are not safe! :ev: 

Nah Fairfield's cool. Blue Ash and Mason are iffy because of the commercialization. Sharonville's aight. West Chester gives Fairfield a run for its money.

8. hockeygamer40

News Credits:
    Yes, I've been to DeeJay's house, and it's scary! :lol 

We've lost a lot of our TRUs, and some of the Wal-Marts and Targets are not necessarily close by for people to raid our stores when they come into town. You're welcome to try, however, because so many other collectors are already picking over the stock.

If you get a chance, stop by Traders World flea market on I75. There are some toy dealers there.

9. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Deejay's house isn't safe. Definitely very scary. The whole time I was parked outside, there was thunder and lightning, but only over the house...

Florence is fine. Home of the best watertower ever.

[​IMG]

10. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

Sidecutter, that water tower is the shit! On my way home from Detroit I see that and it makes me smile. "FLORANCE YALL" WTF?

11. Freyabeads

Freyabeads TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Backscatter & I will be at the LaQuinta in Mason on Tuesday nite. We lucked out and got in the Wed. Customs class so will need to travel in on Tues. so an inexpensive hotel was in order. Good luck on your hotel search!

12. hockeygamer40

News Credits:
    You'll have to be driving N I-75 from Kentucky into Cincinnati to see it. It's near the Florence Mall (get the pun now?).

For those of you driving N I-75 into Cincinnati from Kentucky, be sure to do two things as you're going through the "cut in the hill" --

1) Cops watch the area a lot for speeders and reckless drivers who endanger the speeding trucks.

2) If you can, keep your camera handy. The money shot of Cincinnati is best taken from I-75 as you're driving into town -- both at daytime and at nighttime. It's one of the prettiest skylines out there.

13. hockeygamer40

News Credits:
    If you don't mind the drive, there are motels and hotels in Fairfield-Springdale on Route 4 and I-275. Be sure to watch the I-275 west traffic where it connects to 747, I-75, and I-71 during rush hour. Recommend I-74 or going down Route 127 as an alternative route into Cincinnati if traffic is heavy.

I think they are pretty safe areas overall, and you will find Wal-Marts and Meijers there. Too bad most of the local collectors keep the stores picked pretty clean. :) 

If anyone is interested in meeting up for dinner or hanging out, let me know. I have suggestions and am looking to have a better time this year than last. I spent most of my time in the dealer room handling my booth, and I have someone watching it for me this year. I want to party!

:music 

14. LoungeLizard

LoungeLizard Insert clever title here.

Ebay:

I'm in the same boat. Have you found any good deals of hotel/motel rooms not too far from the con?

15. Freyabeads

Freyabeads TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info. It may be fun to check out some of the local stores on Tuesday. I'll make sure we get a jump on Rush Hour traffic on Wed. also. We sure don't want to be late for our class!

16. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    To make a long story short. IT used to say Florence Mall and the city went crazy, after a lengthy lawsuit it was changed. It was easier to change 1 letter than change the whole thing. After that it became some what of a land mark. Florence is a great city but kinda expensive. Although it is less expensive than Cincinnati, and much much safer.

17. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    On a related note, I'm an avid runner, and I'm going to be staying right by the con at the Hyatt. Is it going to be unsafe to run outdoors in the early am or after dusk?

18. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Early morning maybe ok. After dark I would say no.

19. Blackout05

Blackout05 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most areas around Cincinnati safe just stay clear of Over the Rhine. As far as hotels go, they are inexpensive out side of down town. Hotels are scattered all around the 275 loop and the 75 and 74 stretch coming in to downtown.

Since I didn’t get to post this stuff before I thought I would Share...

For those of you that that have never been here make sure you check out: As said before, The Cincinnati Skyline both day and night its well worth it, Newport on the Levee is just across the river they have the German Hofbrauhaus Newport where they brew their own Beer.

Food wise: Graters Ice Cream, Skyline and Gold star Chili, Penn Station East Coast subs are always a good meal.

If any of you guys have questions about Cincinnati Shoot me a PM and I’ll do my best to answer it.

20. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Don't forget the White Castles. I'm sure there's at least a few people who haven't had them before. :p