Sadly, G1 doesn't hold up

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by UNI Prof, Nov 6, 2010.

1. UNI Prof

UNI Prof Well-Known Member

Ugh, you know you're getting old when you realize that it has been >25 years since you watched the original Transformers after school as a child of the 80's.

While I've owned season one on DVD for years, I hadn't really taken the time to seriously watch the old cartoon until I noticed that they were playing episodes on the Hub and I could set my DVR to record them. Now, my boys and I can sit down and enjoy the old-school transformers that I loved and that they have never known. As much as I've romanticized the G1 cartoon and figures, the original cartoon simply wasn't that well-done. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the show, but it really hasn't held up well given the love for it that I held in my heart/mind. The story lines are often pretty brutal. Many mistakes in animation. Most of the time, it seems like the only reason for the "stories" are to simply introduce new toys. Don't get me wrong, I totally get that, but I'm glad I was 8 or so when I was originally watching or it wouldn't have been nearly as good.

People like to bag on Animated and, unfortunately, I didn't really get into it until it was just about too late. BUT, animated was much better in terms of plot and animation. New episodes still existed to introduce a new toy, but they also fit within the over-arching story lines and often paid homage to the 1984 original. The original was great, but Animated was simply that much better; hopefully, Prime will again raise the bar.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Banned

What's next, the Earth has a core?

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a sad fact that G1 pretty much sucks unless viewed through the nostalgia lens.

4. UNI Prof

UNI Prof Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm sure this has been hashed out before, but it was a revelation to me (and a sad one at that). I will continue to watch and enjoy the G1 cartoons, though, as the fun of sharing them with my children is just incredibly.

They are, however, really looking forward to Prime!

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

It was the 80's, and as you stated, it's been over 25 years. The original Transformers cartoon was litteraly just a toy commerical given a plot of varying degrees of quality just to entice kids into wanting the toys.

Hell, the original Movie was just a giant reset more or less of the toy line. All those Autobots who die in the movie early on, including Prime, and all the Decepticons who die as well? It's not a coincidence that their associated toys started to disapear from shelves and be replaced by all the new Autobots and Decepticons introduced in the movie.

Although now that I think about it, I wonder just what episodes of the original cartoon The Hub will actually broadcast. After all, every episode in Carombarya (or however you spell it) is pretty damn racist more or less to anybody of Middle Eastern decent.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The G1 cartoon was shit even back then. The comics, on the other hand, are timeless.

7. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    there's only one episode set in carbombya. Pretty easy to skip without harming the amount of episodes available.

8. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    fixed

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Yep, back in college I realized I could rewatch some old cartoons and was appalled at the series I had loved as a child. There are a few episodes that aren't bad, but for the most part without the rose tinted glasses or the right mindset, it's a pretty bad series. Though in its defense, a lot of the 80's cartoons don't hold up all that well.

10. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I thought that had been known since Beast Wars. G1 was great at its time, but now with shows like Beast Wars and Animated that have came after it. They really show how a Transformer series is suppose to be like.

If it wasnt for the nostalgic feelings, G1 would be in the same level of the 60's Batman series when its compare to B:TAS.

11. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Of course, it is like every other 80's cartoon. There are a few episodes with decent animation but it was really not that good, but nothing back then nothing really was. More than meets the eye 1-3 was good I guess. The reason G1 holds up, is the 86 movie. Without that I don't think it would have been half as popular as it is today. The 86 movie burned G1 into your mind as a kid. It was a more mature in several ways than any other show from the 80's. The slaughtering of the characters, favorites being killed. It was something else back then. I remember parents dragging kids out of the theater. It was anime before we had anime in the states. The comics matured when the movie did. Everything stems from that. Even so, kids still love G1, my nephews love it, my daughter loves it. Though NONE of them were that into it till they saw the movie. My daughter watches g1 constantly. The writing and animation today is generally better.

12. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Everyone's entitled ton their opinion but personally, I love G1. I watch it more now than ever.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    TV cartoons aren't fine art, they don't get better with age. Some stay good, others don't. Judging G1 by modern day standards is unfair. (though to be fair, it wasn't exactly amazing back then)

Some say Beast Wars is perfect, and while it's, to me, undoubtably the best TF fiction to be on TV even by today's standards, the early episodes still show signs of it's decade and really has a kind of slow start. No show will stay as fantastic as we remember.

14. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Like it's been stated before, it was the Eighties. There was a lot of hoaky funky crap back then. Of course the animation should be miles ahead today. I mean, we're coming up on three decades ago. Hell I would almost expect our grandkids to watch Transformers on holovid or virtual reality or whatnot and look back at TF Prime and say "what crap". Who knows. I think for back then it was cutting edge, if you will, because of the concept of the series itself. Hey let's take robots from space, allow them to turn into cool things, interact with us here on earth, and.......not be able to hit the broadside of a barn in general. Oh dare I to make this last statement, but here goes: before the G1 series what else was out there that really really grabbed our little hearts and minds like TF G1 did? Yeah for the most part it's different watching this through our then eyes of 7-12yrs. old, or whatever, versus whatever age we are at today.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Cartoons like any other form of entertainment needs to be viewed in the context of when they were made.

To compare the G1 Transformers to modern cartoons is a bit like comparing the original King Kong to Jurassic Park.

Cartoon quality has always varied from decade to decade based upon the market for them. Some decades you have cartoons of a higher quality because more resources and time could be put into the project. Other times like the 1980's it was crank out as many episodes as you could to sell new toys.

Transformers was pretty much around the average for a cartoon series at the time. In a way it's fun a different way now because we can look back at all the mistakes you couldn't do today now that cartoons have gone from after school and Saturday morning to 24/7 networks and cartoon shows aimed at more than just kids.

16. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was a nonsense show about cool giant transforming robots and it still is. I never expected any seriousness from it.

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    What did your boys think about it?

18. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Not many cartoons from the 80's can hold up today, in all honesty. It doesn't take a whole lot away from the show however. I can still watch The Transformers just as easily as I can watch The Mysterious Cities of Gold.

Hell, try watching an episode of Thundercats. You get an awesome eyegasm of an intro, then shit on for the rest of the show's length. At least you don't have to deal with that in The Transformers.

19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Yup- G1 has aged... as has Beast Wars... and eventualy Beast Machines, followed by RID- shal I keep going?

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Batman: The Animated Series is still as solid today as it was when I first watched it.

Beast Wars holds up damn well too.

Some shows will hold up, most won't.